2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 5.0 Tire Options--Questions

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/11, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 5.0 Tire Options--Questions

I am looking at purchasing a 2011-2012 Mustang GT as a daily driver (keeping it stock). I am interested in a Premium GT with some creature comforts. I don't necessarily need the Brembo brake package for daily use, but I love the wheels. Unfortuantely, a friend who owns a new 11 told me the tires that come with that package are awful in the cold temperatures and they wear quickly. I understand they are summer only tires. I need at tire that will last longer. . I can't be replacing tires every 10-15k miles.

I need your opinions and expeiences:

Can I find a longer lasting all season tire to fit the 19 inch brembo wheels?
Should I just stick with the stock 18s?

I do live in Maryland so we do get occasional snow storms. I know not to drive a mustang when it's awful out, but I do need a tire that will keep me safe in the rain and the occasional light dusting.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 3/16/11, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm in Maryland as well. I'm still using the stock P-Zero all seasons (base model 18" wheel) and I'll be rolling over 20k miles this week. I've still got a ton of tread left, front and back, and I'm not gentle to the tires.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the Brembo-equipped cars.
Old 3/16/11, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only had mine for a couple months, but the stock P-Zero's are "okay" in the snow. So long as you drive properly, they're fine in light snow.

I have heard many good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, I may try those after these Pirelli's wear out, but that's going to be a while...
Old 3/16/11, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I think the 18s look good so that is a plus that they are lasting well over 20k miles. If I could get 25-30 out of a set I would be happy!
Old 3/16/11, 10:18 AM
GTR Member

You should be able to get 20-25K out of the Brembo package tires unless you drive around like your hair is on fire all the time.

The all seasons on the regular GT's should go 35K if you drive reasonably.
Old 3/16/11, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You should be able to get 20-25K out of the Brembo package tires unless you drive around like your hair is on fire all the time.

The all seasons on the regular GT's should go 35K if you drive reasonably.
Thanks for the information!
Old 3/16/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
While I seriously doubt this, I sure wish for it! I am not looking forward to tire replacement at all.
Old 3/16/11, 10:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
I have heard many good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS...
I switched to Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on my supercharged '07 GT and they were awesome tires year 'round, even in light snow. Best all-season tire on the market, IMHO. I'll be buying them for my '11 GT eventually when the summer-only Pirellis wear out.

I took delivery of my '11 GT during a week of freezing temps & light snow last month. The summer-only Pirellis were horrible in cold temps and would slip & spin with the slightest of throttle. Now that it has warmed up (45-55 degrees), they work great - even in pouring down rain. Just can't drive on them near/below freezing.
Old 3/16/11, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh right, I should've mentioned; I just made a trip to Canada and back a few weeks ago, and there was HEAVY snow (like, blizzard conditions) all through PA and MD on my way back. Aside from spending ten minutes of trouble getting out of the one-foot-deep snow in my fiancee's driveway in Canada, I had no trouble whatsoever.
Old 3/16/11, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Oh right, I should've mentioned; I just made a trip to Canada and back a few weeks ago, and there was HEAVY snow (like, blizzard conditions) all through PA and MD on my way back. Aside from spending ten minutes of trouble getting out of the one-foot-deep snow in my fiancee's driveway in Canada, I had no trouble whatsoever.

That is nice to know. The random snow storms in Maryland sneak up during the winter season. Hopefully, the car will be okay in light dustings.

What part of Maryland are you from?
Old 3/16/11, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in Mount Airy. Depending on how you plan to drive your GT, you might be better off with the Brembo wheels/tires. While these all-seasons did just fine in the snow, they're by no means spectacular at it, and not a good substitute for a real snow tire.

Also, if my previous posts on this forum are any indication..the stock all-seasons absolutely blow. Even in the summer, grip is hard to come by in first or second. Once I got a tune on the car (eliminates or limits the torque limiting the factory tune has programmed into it) getting into third would even cause the back end to break free.

If I had the choice to do it over again, I'd go with the Brembo package and buy a set of snow tires to slap on when necessary. Not only because I like the look of the Brembo wheels better, but moreso because they're 9" wide from the factory. The 18"x8" standard wheels can't take more than a 255 tire, which is definitely going to be the limiting factor for anyone looking to put down power.

Obviously if you plan on getting aftermarket wheels, none of this is relevant.
Old 3/16/11, 08:43 PM

Hey Rook, I'm in Columbia, MD and I have a perfect set of Brembo wheels and tires with only 600 miles that I'm looking to sell. I can't speak to their performance in falling snow but they did just fine in the snirt and slush the day after the last snowfall we had. You could pick up a new GT with 18" wheels and use them as a winter set and have a set of Brembo wheels for nice weather. Let me know what you think.
Old 3/17/11, 05:48 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

quote=GrabberTush

Heh heh... "GrabberTush"... great name!