The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   2011 1/4 mile winner- auto or manual? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/2011-1-4-mile-winner-auto-manual-481347/)

ipodintampa 3/16/10 11:25 AM

2011 1/4 mile winner- auto or manual?

I'm wondering which 2011 Mustang 5.0 production car will do better in the 1/4 and the 60foot? -----
---Automatic or 6 Speed Manual?-----

Yeah, I know it's a combination of driver, etc- but given both cars have the same exact driver and jump, which car do you think will come out the winner in a 1/4 mile track?

Soon the road test results will be out, but I'm wondering what you all think...

Ltngdrvr 3/16/10 11:29 AM

With sticky tires the manual should have the advantage.

2011 Fastback 3/16/10 11:47 AM

manual

nothing like a manual...:metal:

trick25 3/16/10 12:22 PM

average driver. auto will likely edge out the manual. especailly more consitantly

there are a good number of ppl that swear they know how to drive a stick. but in the end they are leaving quite a bit of time. i know when i had my stick 98 gt DD stang ive my brother could get more out of her after a couple of runs. may not be much, but i can admit he is a better driver.

in the end ill still have a manual. for me the fun factor of the manual outwieghts the consistancy of the auto.

Knight 3/16/10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by trick25 (Post 5830486)
for me the fun factor of the manual outwieghts the consistancy of the auto.

+1 :metal:

laserred38 3/16/10 01:43 PM

Probably would depend on the rear gearing as well........

rhumb 3/16/10 01:44 PM

In the hands of a competent driver, probably the manual by a hair. However, autos, even the slushbox variety, have gotten very good over the years so I would put one only a tenth or so behind the wiggly stick variety.

Now if Ford would continue on its current aggressive improving the breed campaign and put in a DCT, well, say bye bye to both current trannies...

stangfoeva 3/16/10 01:45 PM

No DCT please. At least not standard

MBK 3/16/10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb (Post 5830522)
In the hands of a competent driver, probably the manual by a hair. However, autos, even the slushbox variety, have gotten very good over the years so I would put one only a tenth or so behind the wiggly stick variety.

Now if Ford would continue on its current aggressive improving the breed campaign and put in a DCT, well, say bye bye to both current trannies...

i hope by 'bye bye' you mean outperform both transmissions because i wouldn't buy one if it wasn't a standard manual even if DCT is faster... clutch pedal is too much fun :D

Boomer 3/16/10 02:14 PM

Are we talking with aftermarket gears for the Auto?

Manual for the win...with 3.73s :)

trick25 3/16/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 5830538)
Are we talking with aftermarket gears for the Auto?

Manual for the win...with 3.73s :)

very true. with 3.73 and man will defiatly beat 3.31 auto. but comparing apples to apples it will be close

UnrealFord 3/16/10 02:29 PM

Manual, for sure.. But it will take 18 different Manual drivers before you find the right one to beat the auto !:D:poke:

ipodintampa 3/16/10 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mach1mania (Post 5830545)
Manual, for sure.. But it will take 18 different Manual drivers before you find the right one to beat the auto !:D:poke:

yeah, you're probably very right here... :grin:

I'm personally leaning towards a stick for sure, and going for 3:73's in the rear. Auto Transmissions are a little bit heavier as well, and it would be interesting to see how much stall you can revup on the 2011 just before it jumps the line... with good tires and looking straight ahead, the new Mustang would be fierce once that automatic was pushed down to the floor.

825LTRGT 3/16/10 07:20 PM

Like others have said, the stick is much more fun on a street car. For a race car, have to go with the slush box.

Just look at the number of stick rower you see at the track. Some are really good, most not so much.

A good auto is way more consistent. And with trans brakes, delay boxes etc you can't beat an auto to nail your dial in.

Never missed a shift with an auto..done it many times with a stick. And got really good at replacing clutches.

UnrealFord 3/16/10 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT (Post 5830710)
Like others have said, the stick is much more fun on a street car. For a race car, have to go with the slush box.

Just look at the number of stick rower you see at the track. Some are really good, most not so much.

A good auto is way more consistent. And with trans brakes, delay boxes etc you can't beat an auto to nail your dial in.

Never missed a shift with an auto..done it many times with a stick. And got really good at replacing clutches.

LOL, Thats funny:rofl2:

Ltngdrvr 3/16/10 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT (Post 5830710)

Well, the original question of this thread was which would be faster, not which would be more consistant at the track.

Consistancy-wise, you won't beat an automatic, especially a electronic controlled one.

ipodintampa 3/16/10 08:11 PM

for some reason, I feel you're right on this one... I was just in Bradenton at the NMRA Ford Nationals, and seen a lot of really fast automatics- they are just so consistent, and especially with power adders---

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 5830745)
Well, the original question of this thread was which would be faster, not which would be more consistant at the track.

Consistancy-wise, you won't beat an automatic, especially a electronic controlled one.

dmhines 3/19/10 06:01 AM

Wonder how many times you are gonna need to change gears on the 6-speed manual before you cross the 1/4 mile ...... If you are gonna need to be in 4th so you don't red line I say the Auto wins the 1/4 mile due to the excessive rowing in the manual. If you can cross in 3rd like the current 5-speeds the manual will win.

Five Oh Brian 3/19/10 08:06 AM

This has been my prediction for quite some time.....

2011 GT Manual with 3.73 gears = 12.50's @ 110 mph in the 1/4 mile.
2011 GT Auto with 3.15 gears = 12.80's @ 108 mph in the 1/4 mile.

825LTRGT 3/19/10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 5830745)

Then it is a discussion of power transfer.

Given two cars with the same Hp, the one that hooks better is faster.

If you screw up the launch with a stick, smoke is the result, and the ET goes up.