2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2010 Mustang GT Puzzlers

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/10, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation 2010 Mustang GT Puzzlers

Okay, I really like the new 2011 Mustang GT but have come up with two issues that have me puzzled. Road & Track just did a great article on the GT and said that Ford has now included the dreaded 1-4 Skip Shift device in the new 6 speed. Yikes! Can this be defeated? Any new owners out there who have this? Feedback.
Next, what is up with the sound deadening in the rear wheel wells? Ford used the same material that is under the hood to cut noise in the rear wheel housing! What about rain, sand, snow, etc. and how do you wash these out? Very odd design. Yes you can rip it out I suppose but yikes!
Old 7/14/10, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roger blose
Okay, I really like the new 2011 Mustang GT but have come up with two issues that have me puzzled. Road & Track just did a great article on the GT and said that Ford has now included the dreaded 1-4 Skip Shift device in the new 6 speed. Yikes! Can this be defeated? Any new owners out there who have this? Feedback.
Next, what is up with the sound deadening in the rear wheel wells? Ford used the same material that is under the hood to cut noise in the rear wheel housing! What about rain, sand, snow, etc. and how do you wash these out? Very odd design. Yes you can rip it out I suppose but yikes!
It's been stated here before that the skip shift feature is:
a) In the ECM so it will more than likely take a programming to defeat. Not like Camaro's.
b) Isn't the worst thing in the world when driven even very minimally spirited.

The sound deadening I would have to take a look at but this sounds like a miss-communication of some sort. Are you sure it wasn't on the inside of the trunk? This would make sense. Sound deadening, is just a damper for vibrations so it could be anything. Usually what's under the hood is a heat shielded foam or poly fiber material. This could easily be used in a trunk just as it is under the carpet. Just need specifics.
Old 7/14/10, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sound deadening in the rear wheel wells does feel more like a fabric than a hard plastic, but it's not as soft as the stuff under the hood. No problems so far in terms of cleaning it, and it's been raining here for the past two months...plenty of dirt and mud got in the wheel wells and it came out just fine.
Old 7/14/10, 03:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
The sound deadening in the rear wheel wells does feel more like a fabric than a hard plastic, but it's not as soft as the stuff under the hood. No problems so far in terms of cleaning it, and it's been raining here for the past two months...plenty of dirt and mud got in the wheel wells and it came out just fine.
From my cursory inspection of the wheel liners, they appear to be raised off of the wheel well, which would improve their performance. However, could it be possible for dirt to collect between the liner and the sheet metal? This should be looked at closely.
Old 7/14/10, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

is there really no way to just remove the piece inside that actually locks the 2 and 3 gates
Old 7/14/10, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by roger blose
To answer some of your questions about skip shift...

https://themustangsource.com/f726/skip-shift-484087/

and the most recent one:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/sk...011-gt-485216/

One more just for kicks:

https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...eature-483231/

Last edited by Norberd; 7/14/10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 7/14/10, 05:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Automagically
It's been stated here before that the skip shift feature is:
a) In the ECM so it will more than likely take a programming to defeat. Not like Camaro's.
b) Isn't the worst thing in the world when driven even very minimally spirited.
The ECM controls it, just like it does in other computer controlled cars that have this feature.

It still has to have a mechanical component to achieve the skip feature and that should be able to be defeated without any PCM reprogramming.
Old 7/14/10, 11:55 PM
GT Member

650 miles on my GT, no skip shift at alllllllllllll. Nothing wrong with the rear wheel liner. Ronn
Old 7/15/10, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronn
650 miles on my GT, no skip shift at alllllllllllll. Nothing wrong with the rear wheel liner. Ronn
I'm jealous. 150 miles here and it hits me at least twice on every drive. Even when it kicks it's no big deal, just a bit awkward.
Old 7/15/10, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The ECM controls it, just like it does in other computer controlled cars that have this feature.

It still has to have a mechanical component to achieve the skip feature and that should be able to be defeated without any PCM reprogramming.
True. So far no one has shown up with a defeat yet so I guess we will see. I see your point though.
Old 7/15/10, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I'm jealous. 150 miles here and it hits me at least twice on every drive. Even when it kicks it's no big deal, just a bit awkward.

You gotta stop worrying about gas mileage and drive that thing!
Old 7/15/10, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
You gotta stop worrying about gas mileage and drive that thing!
That's the least of my concerns. The problem is not turning these mawmaw drivers into hood ornaments!