The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   2 questions? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/2-questions-507375/)

lhunter1130 4/7/12 07:02 AM

2 questions?

hello i was at the dealer last night and my friend Heidi is wanting a V6 mustang, they had a 2012 pony package auto one, and after it was all said and done, it was $25,800 for it. good or bad price? I think its fair but being as they are unloading the 12s shouldnt it be better?

next question. i also test drove a black 2013 GT premium last night. and i have been in love with the car on these forums. but this was the 1st time driving it.. and i can say IM DISSAPOINTED... =( Motor + exhaust was very quite.. and the thing that actually bother me was the 6 speed manual... im pretty certain i had a 03 ranger that had shorter shifts... and the CLUTCH... the travel was crazy long and it had no resistance or weight to the pedal.. are there EASIER fixes to these other than buying a short throw shifter and dropping the transmission on a brand new car to put an actual clutch in? I have drove many cars. but none of the factory clutches felt this bad.. anyone have these thoughts? i still want to buy a new 5.0 but they are claiming it to be a sports car but 2 of the main inputs to the drivers sensations are terrible.. or am i wrong? shoulnt the clutch be stiff and be able to tell the engage and disengage points? ill finish this on a better note.. the 13 i tried didnt have the recaros but the seats were fairly decent leather ones.. and the back looks better in person for real. i just would advise everyone to pull off the back license plate plastic and get it painted same color as the body or that shiny black like between the lights.. thanks

AzPete 4/7/12 07:25 AM

V6 sounds high...but not to much. Heard of people getting '12 GT's around 27.

As for the clutch....all of the new ones are easier to depress. That is the hydraulic portion at work. Guess you could add a stronger spring if you need a stiff clutch pedal.... I have not heard of anyone install a different clutch and getting a different pedal feel....again...hydraulics at work make things easier. As far as the clutch it self, seems to hold up real good unless you are going to be racing it only.

Comparing the shift throw to a Ranger is a bit off too. I have had both and there is no comparison. Yes, you can add a short throw of your choice. To each his own....

kcoTiger 4/7/12 11:43 AM

Yeah, you lost me at the shift throw comparison. Get a short throw shifter if you want to. They're not that expensive and installation isn't that bad either.

All manually-driven transmissions will have smoother clutch behavior because of what was said by the guy above me--hydraulics. Get used to it, unless you want to spend a thousand bucks on a new clutch and labor just for a different feel. Like any other car, drive it long enough and you'll get used to it. There are also multiple threads on here detailing the axle-back exhausts members have installed to produce the exhaust note they want.

Of course, you could always pony up some real cash and get yourself a Shelby, which will solve all your woes and some you didn't even know you had.

grabberblue 5.0 4/7/12 12:12 PM

My 11 GT has the shortest throw of any vehicle I have ever owned or driven (I've never driven a vehicle with after market short throw, but I have driven many manuals).

And the exhaust is quiet for the people that don't like loud exhaust. Ford has made all the exhaust components easier to change in that it is all now bolt on. Very easy to change exhaust note.

lhunter1130 4/7/12 02:13 PM

hmm the feel of the transmission was the same as my 03 ranger no joke.. but i have been driving RX-8 GT, a short throw SRT4, and a Evolution, all of which the clutch and transmission felt ALOT better, theres no sports car feel to them, or am i missing something.. as said the dealer in the car wouldnt let me really get on it much or drive more than 10 mins.. i was annoyed so maybe some of that rubbed off

kylerohde 4/7/12 03:44 PM

Yeah , you gotta be kidding - compare a 2011+ with any Mustang from the previous 15 years, especially the pre-2005 ones,, the shifter and clutch are so far superior. Are you trying to talk yourself out of buying one?

Sky Hye 4/7/12 03:52 PM

I think the things you are complaining about are silly. Did have you ever compared it to other sports cars? You are looking at the wrong things.

Most cars nowadays come with pos exhausts. They tone it down and that's why there is such a large aftermarket base. Lastly, you didn't get the misting to show you it's balls, so you can't say that it wasn't a sports car when you never let it do what it's meant for. Sit in mine for 5 minutes and without a doubt you will know its a sports car by the wetness you feel in your panties. Find a better dealer and hop in a 3:73 car get in the pedal. the clutch feel and shifter throw will become negligible.

lhunter1130 4/7/12 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Hye (Post 6307085)
I think the things you are complaining about are silly. Did have you ever compared it to other sports cars? You are looking at the wrong things.

Most cars nowadays come with pos exhausts. They tone it down and that's why there is such a large aftermarket base. Lastly, you didn't get the misting to show you it's balls, so you can't say that it wasn't a sports car when you never let it do what it's meant for. Sit in mine for 5 minutes and without a doubt you will know its a sports car by the wetness you feel in your panties. Find a better dealer and hop in a 3:73 car get in the pedal. the clutch feel and shifter throw will become negligible.

maybe, i got on it as much as i could.. and the console kept opening when i was resting my elbow on it.. that was super annoying.. and a 38K evolution isnt a sports car? just seems like i have to drop like 3K to make the mustang "sporty" out of the box, new exhaust, short throw, cold air, clutch... idk maybe if i got a really good deal on an 11 then i could see that working out.. but its annoying to spend almost 40K on a sports car to have it feel like mush.. i was soooo excited to get one but after driving it i have to really think about things

lhunter1130 4/7/12 04:29 PM

also how is it silly, i thought sports cars were supposed to make you feel powerful and in control of the car and give you a sense that you and the car are 1 right? i dont see any race cars with soft gooey clutches or long shift points.. the rx8 stock was maybe 2 inch of travel.. i didnt even have to pick up my hand to shift through 1-4. im not trying to rip apart the car cuz i think most of it is still amazing. but just giving my impressions after driving it..

lhunter1130 4/7/12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6307078)
Yeah , you gotta be kidding - compare a 2011+ with any Mustang from the previous 15 years, especially the pre-2005 ones,, the shifter and clutch are so far superior. Are you trying to talk yourself out of buying one?

this was the 1st mustang i have ever drove, well manual mustang.. and i want to buy one but i dont think i can be happy with the manual aspect of the car for a sports car i will have to pass.. anyone know of a clutch fix?

AzPete 4/7/12 05:32 PM

Bye.....good luck.

postalworker 4/7/12 06:37 PM

will need more than luck...

grabberblue 5.0 4/7/12 07:05 PM

Try test driving another one at another dealership. I think something left a bad taste in your mouth. I almost feel like you came over from camaro5 just to start some stuff lol. But really, try again elsewhere

kcoTiger 4/7/12 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AzPete (Post 6307236)
Bye.....good luck.

Agreed. See ya.

Sky Hye 4/7/12 09:29 PM

I Don't mean that you are silly so please dont take that personal. I do believe that it depends on the car. My 12 had 3:73s and man did it throw you back. Handled great too. My 13 will have the track pack and it will be up there close to a boss. Not as good but dam close. I have driven corvettes, sti wrx, 67 blown mustang fastback, lightning and more. Out of all of them, my gt felt the fastest, best handling and most sports car feel under 43k. The clutch may not be to your liking but I think it's objective. If you get a chance to drive a decent one with 3:73s, hold down the traction control button for 9 seconds and let loose. I am willing to bed good money your thoughts will be different. I just think you had a 3:31 geared car and a dealer who sucks major cajones.