Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st week impression

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/13, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st week impression

Well 6 days, but close enough. Lots of work and lots of rain have limited my time in the car so far and I have only put 140 miles on her. So far the car is what I dreamed it would be.

Exterior: The car looksmean, strong, just simply badass. I wish Ford would drop the height a little, but I can live with it until I feel like changing it. The lines are basically perfect and I'm very happy with the look of accessory pack 5. The items add just enough to tie everything together. I love the track pack wheels. Theyblend in with the SGM perfectly, but are big and stand out at the same time. Lots of compliments on them. Adding the GT500 grill, starkey fogs, and roush chin splitter really add to the overall look. Besides for now looking different than others in my area, she has a more aggressive look.

Interior: Ford has come along way since my last mustang (03 Mach1) with the interior. The connection between the past and future is very evident. The instrument cluster is very well done. The LCD screen is great. Being able to watch instant MPG is a really nice feature. My only negative about the cluster is the halo reflection on the windshield. The radio is nowhere near as good as my 03. It does what it should do, plays music, and is setup nice visually for factory. But Ford dropped the ball on the sound quality for a $40,000 car. The premium seats are very comfortable and fit me quite well. The steering wheel has a great feel and responds wonderfully in sport mode. Shifting is a breeze and I am surprised at the shortness of the throw for a factory shifter. I'm still changing it out for a MGW, but it does a good job. The trans is clunky at times, but that seems to be a running theme. Everything appears to be sealed up very well. Not much noise other than the car itself. I removed the sound tube, and I still get plenty of the 5.0 sound to smile about every time I push on the gas. I feel like part of the car, never really got that feeling in any other mustang I've owned (86, 88, 89, 90, 91, 93, 01 cobra, 03 mach1)

Over all I am very impressed with the car. She looks great and handles great. I love the car and I am extremely happy that I decided to get the 2014. One thing I do wonder about is the engine compartment. I did not realize how **** hot it gets. I am glad I got redline hood struts, because the hood prop will melt your hand off.

Now I just need to get my GT500 ABs installed and some good weather for driving and pics. Thanks Deysha for your help. Thanks to everyone on the forum for your knowledge.

Last edited by cobrajg; 6/28/13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 6/28/13, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Thx for the review, glad you like the car!! I also love the track pack. Makes a nice difference in handling. I agree on the stereo it is very low end but I have some Boston Acoustics component speakers that I will put in probably over the winter. Will post my thoughts on those when I do the change

Hope you continue to enjoy the new car!
Old 6/29/13, 03:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review. Glad to see another happy owner of the best muscle car on the planet right now in production.
Old 6/29/13, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post. I've had mine for 2 1/2 months and pretty much agree with everything you said.
The sound system is not much of a problem for me, it's just background noise when driving. Listening to the car is much more fun...

You are dead on about the Redlines and you're gonna love the GT500 AB's.
Old 6/29/13, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice review...

Pretty much spot on, too. I've owned numerous Mustangs, and the '14 GT with the Track Package is easily the best I've owned. The word that comes to mind every time I drive it is "solid." (I've had mine for a little over a month now.) The suspension is just perfect for me- stiff, but not harsh.

Like you, I deleted the sound tube- nothing against its function, but its just visually cluttering under the hood. Speaking of which, it took me one time opening the hood after a drive to realize I needed hood struts (I went with the Redline as well, and they work perfectly).

I improved the sound last night by installing GT500 axlebacks- the car sounds "perfect" now- especially on a cold start. The mufflers were part of the Ford Racing Procal package- I just finished submitting my voucher to get the Procal device shipped. I'm hoping the tune will fix the only performance related complaint I have- which is the "hole" in the low-end torque. I've actually stalled a couple of times on soft starts- which is just amazing for a 420hp motor!

The SG color was just slightly disappointing for me (just makes the car too "dark" IMO). I added some "Boss-like" stripes in light metallic silver (only difference is the portion that usually says "Boss 302" says "GT." That cured me of any regret with the SG. Once you put some lighter color on the body, it makes the dark gray just "pop."

Once the tune is installed, I'll be pretty much done- for now. The car is almost perfect (although I agree it sits too high... I may go for 1.75" lowering springs in the future- I just do not want to alter the aforementioned suspension feel too much).

Here's to your first week- and hoping you enjoy many many more!
Old 6/30/13, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
agree with the note above mentioning the solid feel of the car. I have given a number of people test rides so far, really hammering the car and powering 1-3rd gears and the car seems to love it. Kicked the tail out all thru 2nd gear on one pull even with the nice sticky tires! Love it
Old 7/1/13, 11:30 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrajg
Well 6 days, but close enough. Lots of work and lots of rain have limited my time in the car so far and I have only put 140 miles on her. So far the car is what I dreamed it would be.

Exterior: The car looksmean, strong, just simply badass. I wish Ford would drop the height a little, but I can live with it until I feel like changing it. The lines are basically perfect and I'm very happy with the look of accessory pack 5. The items add just enough to tie everything together. I love the track pack wheels. Theyblend in with the SGM perfectly, but are big and stand out at the same time. Lots of compliments on them. Adding the GT500 grill, starkey fogs, and roush chin splitter really add to the overall look. Besides for now looking different than others in my area, she has a more aggressive look.

Interior: Ford has come along way since my last mustang (03 Mach1) with the interior. The connection between the past and future is very evident. The instrument cluster is very well done. The LCD screen is great. Being able to watch instant MPG is a really nice feature. My only negative about the cluster is the halo reflection on the windshield. The radio is nowhere near as good as my 03. It does what it should do, plays music, and is setup nice visually for factory. But Ford dropped the ball on the sound quality for a $40,000 car. The premium seats are very comfortable and fit me quite well. The steering wheel has a great feel and responds wonderfully in sport mode. Shifting is a breeze and I am surprised at the shortness of the throw for a factory shifter. I'm still changing it out for a MGW, but it does a good job. The trans is clunky at times, but that seems to be a running theme. Everything appears to be sealed up very well. Not much noise other than the car itself. I removed the sound tube, and I still get plenty of the 5.0 sound to smile about every time I push on the gas. I feel like part of the car, never really got that feeling in any other mustang I've owned (86, 88, 89, 90, 91, 93, 01 cobra, 03 mach1)

Over all I am very impressed with the car. She looks great and handles great. I love the car and I am extremely happy that I decided to get the 2014. One thing I do wonder about is the engine compartment. I did not realize how **** hot it gets. I am glad I got redline hood struts, because the hood prop will melt your hand off.

Now I just need to get my GT500 ABs installed and some good weather for driving and pics. Thanks Deysha for your help. Thanks to everyone on the forum for your knowledge.
You're very welcome, cobrajg! Thanks for the nice write-up.

Deysha
Old 7/1/13, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Great review. Glad to see another happy owner of the best muscle car on the planet right now in production.
+1...