The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   18 Hours In: A Review, Some Questions, Some Surprises, and Some Petty Gripes (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/18-hours-review-some-questions-some-surprises-some-petty-gripes-529259/)

lakeguy77 3/31/14 07:01 PM

http://rallyarmor.com/

:D

But seriously, don't do that.

puma1552 3/31/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by shawnville (Post 6780814)
The LED strips in the headlights turn off if you have the E-brake on and don't have the parking lights on, and they dim a little when you turn the headlights on.

So then on a '13, if you have the switch turned to the parking lights, do you then have the LED running lamps with the orange parking lights behind them?

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6780913)
You didn't say what gearing you have but that has a definite impact on it. In 46,000 miles tracking the mileage of my car ('11 GT w/ 3.31 gears) religiously, I'm averaging 21.7 overall, which is higher than most people seem to get.

Since mine is an auto I've got the 3.15 gear, so I'm expecting a bit better mileage. It has gone up a little, now I'm averaging 18.2. Hopefully this keeps going up.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Guessing you noticed that the rear headrests fold down? If not, the visibility will be even better!

They were down when I took delivery, and I actually haven't climbed back there to put them up and see how much that impacts visibility.

RC13GT 3/31/14 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 6781501)
Anyone else notice just how much crap gets kicked up against the rocker panels when driving around? I swear the entire time I'm driving all I can hear is stuff getting kicked up against my rockers and it makes me cringe, never been in a car where I could hear that much stuff kicking up…it seriously is non-stop no matter how slow I'm going or how clean the road looks... This must be because of the sticky summer tires?

That happens with mine also, I have all season Pirelli 275's standard setup.

puma1552 3/31/14 08:37 PM

What are you guys doing with this **** block heater plug? There actually is a cut in the grille's honeycomb for this thing to fit through, which I didn't realize until just now. I want to get rid of this thing, but I know if I push it back through the grille I'll never get it back, but the radiator isn't far back from there either and I'd hate to have a meltdown…

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/...ea488c17_b.jpg

David Young 4/1/14 06:01 AM

Just tell people its an electric Mustang and that is used to charge your batteries :D

puma1552 4/1/14 07:02 AM

also i *can* lock the doors with the button on the door panel, i was just being a sally and not pressing it hard enough

13GetThere 4/1/14 10:05 AM

I also would like to see a power recline driver's seat. I will not try to adjust the seat back manually while the car is moving. However, my Subaru has a power seat back and it comes in handy since I can adjust my seat back to match driving conditions and driver fatigue. Ease the seat back up for driving in heavy traffic for better visibility. Ease it back for hi-way driving and comfort, and when my back gets fatigued a little up or back recline makes a big difference.
I understand why Ford didn't use a power recline in a 2 door car. It would be a PITA trying to get someone in the back seat. But other than kids (and I don't have any), who rides in the back seat of a Mustang?

kylerohde 4/1/14 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 13GetThere (Post 6781774)
I understand why Ford didn't use a power recline in a 2 door car. It would be a PITA trying to get someone in the back seat. But other than kids (and I don't have any), who rides in the back seat of a Mustang?

You answered your own question.

Rog13GTCS 4/1/14 01:54 PM

Anyone else notice just how much crap gets kicked up against the rocker panels when driving around? I swear the entire time I'm driving all I can hear is stuff getting kicked up against my rockers and it makes me cringe, never been in a car where I could hear that much stuff kicking up…it seriously is non-stop no matter how slow I'm going or how clean the road looks...

This must be because of the sticky summer tires?

Add some Roush side splitters they will cut down on the grime on the rockers, plus they look good.

MADSCOTSMAN 4/2/14 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=puma1552;6781507]So then on a '13, if you have the switch turned to the parking lights, do you then have the LED running lamps with the orange parking lights behind them?

On my 13', the LED bars are daytime running lights and the parking lights. When you turn the parking lights on, the LED bars get a little dimmer than they are as DRL's. The orange bulbs in the headlight housing are only turn/hazzard signals

cfraser 4/2/14 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 6781561)
What are you guys doing with this **** block heater plug?

I have a block heater plug, it doesn't look anything like that, it looks like...a normal plug you could plug into something lol. It comes out under the front license plate holder (yeah, we gotta have them here) but can be moved, it's quite long. I moved mine under the front license plate so you can't see it (as if the front license is so much less ugly than the tiny black plug it's hiding). I am guessing that what your pic shows is the connector that goes to the actual cord/plug part, and if that's so, it shouldn't be sticking out.

It's the interiors where Ford is still well in the last century. The trunk is abysmal, an extra $0.25 of carpet would do wonders...fold your back seats down to see what I mean. Also look under the passenger dash, another dime's worth would have been nice. But I really like the car, it's gray like yours, and for reasons I don't understand (but then, I did choose it...) people do look at the car more than any other IMO better-looking car I've ever had. No accounting for taste... :)

El Coyote GT/CS 4/2/14 01:54 AM

Anyone else notice just how much crap gets kicked up against the rocker panels when driving around? I swear the entire time I'm driving all I can hear is stuff getting kicked up against my rockers and it makes me cringe...

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS (Post 6781891)
Add some Roush side splitters they will cut down on the grime on the rockers, plus they look good.

Try some of these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/front-...ards-1012.html

There inexpensive, not too noticeable, and will add some protection.

bkrell 4/2/14 09:32 AM

I noticed when the temps started to rise down here in Louisiana and Texas that my mpg started to go up a little bit. I've got 3.73 and am getting 22-23 without even trying. If I do try, I'm actually seeing up around 25.

13GetThere 4/2/14 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde (Post 6781880)
You answered your own question.

Originally Posted by 13GetThere (Post 6781774)
I also would like to see a power recline driver's seat. I will not try to adjust the seat back manually while the car is moving. However, my Subaru has a power seat back and it comes in handy since I can adjust my seat back to match driving conditions and driver fatigue. Ease the seat back up for driving in heavy traffic for better visibility. Ease it back for hi-way driving and comfort, and when my back gets fatigued a little up or back recline makes a big difference.

Yeah, and I stated my case. Maybe someone from Ford will listen.

puma1552 4/2/14 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cfraser (Post 6782152)
I have a block heater plug, it doesn't look anything like that, it looks like...a normal plug you could plug into something lol. It comes out under the front license plate holder (yeah, we gotta have them here) but can be moved, it's quite long. I moved mine under the front license plate so you can't see it (as if the front license is so much less ugly than the tiny black plug it's hiding). I am guessing that what your pic shows is the connector that goes to the actual cord/plug part, and if that's so, it shouldn't be sticking out.

I believe the thing sticking out of my grille is what you plug the actual block heater into, which I had in a little baggie in my trunk (my car was not prepped at my request). I bet me having this thing visible at all is a result of my request for no cosmetic prep...I should look at pics of new ones on the dealer's site and see if they show this sticking out or not.

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS (Post 6782159)
Try some of these:

Ordered a set yesterday morning!

Originally Posted by bkrell (Post 6782255)
I noticed when the temps started to rise down here in Louisiana and Texas that my mpg started to go up a little bit. I've got 3.73 and am getting 22-23 without even trying. If I do try, I'm actually seeing up around 25.

I was at 18.2 average from when the car was new last Friday so this morning at the 300 mile mark I hit the reset button on the way to work and knocked down 26 MPG average on the way in (cruising around 50-60 on the freeway before the hit of rush hour traffic). Now that it's broken in/breaking in I think I'll get some better mileage numbers.

wanted33 4/2/14 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS (Post 6782159)
Try some of these:

These do take care of the problem. I have them, and they work. They are a bit expensive for what you get, but worth it to protect the paint.

puma1552 4/2/14 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 6782350)
These do take care of the problem. I have them, and they work. They are a bit expensive for what you get, but worth it to protect the paint.

Do you hear anything kicking up on the rockers anymore? Right now I'm in cringe mode where the only place I feel safe to enjoy the car and turn up the stereo is on the freeway...if I'm in town I've got the tunes turned way down listening for the rocks to hit as I creep through town as slow as possible, lol.

puma1552 4/8/14 06:40 PM

So after combing over the car numerous times since purchase, I've just noticed that the passenger door could be ever so slightly better aligned; in particular, the rear edge of the door isn't completely flush, it sticks out from the rear quarter just a tiny bit, but it's enough to make the rear door gap look a little bigger (driver's side is fine).

Having looked at hundreds of these on lots over the last X years, I know hanging doors (and panel alignment/gaps in general) is a bit of a sore spot for Ford, and in comparison to pretty much all I've seen mine are quite good with this one small exception. I know at the factory they hang the doors, paint the cars, then remove the doors and send them to a separate line for sub assembly, then are re-hung at the very end of the process and just eyeballed, whereas the Germans and Japanese do use and have been using lasers to measure panel gaps for quite some time. For some reason all the American makers still have a tough time with nice tight panel gaps.

Thinking I might see if the door can be adjusted slightly? Not sure if I want to open that can of worms though and should just leave well enough alone…it's not someone anyone but me will ever notice...

lakeguy77 4/8/14 06:56 PM

It is possible that it's the driver's door that isn't quite right. I know some import makes will push the trailing edge of the doors out just ever so slightly, prevents the edge of the panel behind it from chipping and all it takes is a mm or two.

puma1552 4/8/14 07:01 PM

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that, nor observed it on any of the German cars I've had. I'm really happy with the driver's door, and the gap between the passenger fender and front edge of the door matches the driver's side, so I think the gap itself is correct, it's just that the gap at the rear edge of the passenger door looks a little big when viewed from the rear 3/4 of the car since the door sticks out 1-1.5 mm.