The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Parts For Sale (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f722/)
-   -   Before posting an ad....READ THIS! <> DO NOT BUMP YOUR POST (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f722/before-posting-ad-read-do-not-bump-your-post-466653/)

svopaul 4/9/08 01:08 PM

Before posting an ad....READ THIS! <> DO NOT BUMP YOUR POST

OK, since it is either being ignored or nobody reads the guidelines I am going to post it again here!

The practice of "Bumping" ads is out of control! There is NO reason to bump an ad on the SAME DAY or even the NEXT day once you have posted it...period!!! People looking through the classifieds look at more than the first page and this practice is not only annoying, it is unfair to others who are posting their ads.

DO NOT "Bump" your ad to the top unless 5...yes FIVE DAYS has passed from the last post. You can answer legitimate questions but do not thank someone for a comment or use any other lame excuse just to move your ad back to the top...this is a classified and NOT the lounge!

Despite what you may think, "Bumping" an ad will not make it sell any faster...if someone wants your part then they will buy it and they WILL find it as it is listed.

If this is violated the ad will be removed COMPLETELY...you have been warned....and that 5 days is by time stamp, not by date. Too many people get tired of having to wade through old ads that have been "bumped" to see the new ones and it's not fair to those who do not participate in this ridiculous practice.

Use some common courtesy to fellow TMS users people....

Also, Don't just post an ad with a link to Ebay....you get enough exposure on Ebay that you don't need to prostitute your parts here directing people to Ebay. If you want to post something here for sale then do it and give it a chance to sell but don't just put something up with nothing more than a direct link to your ebay auction.

giddy_up 4/9/08 08:24 PM

sorry,all u needed to do is pm me....

svopaul 4/10/08 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by giddy_up (Post 5546756)
sorry,all u needed to do is pm me....

Your "open to offers" was not a problem.....we have no problem if you want to ad something like that as an after thought(however I don't expect to see others use that as a way to get around the 5 day wait). It's just the posts that say "bump" in such short time after the posting. Additional information or pictures can be a help in selling an item but adding "bump" ads nothing to the thread. ;)

ShowGT 4/10/08 05:48 AM

thanks Paul for making this known for this forum.

GOFISCH 4/24/08 03:20 PM

My add was removed. All I did was update it, someone claimed they wanted it, then begged off. So I posted it was still available. A little common sense would be appreciated.

svopaul 4/24/08 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by GOFISCH (Post 5555655)
My add was removed. All I did was update it, someone claimed they wanted it, then begged off. So I posted it was still available. A little common sense would be appreciated.

You have a LOT of bumps in that thread and none of the ones before the 10th were even considered....but on the 20th you posted it as available and common sense to ANYONE reading the ad showed it was not sold yet....your post of "Available" today was seen as a bump without using the words....perhaps a little common sense on your part would have been to put "Buyer backed out and it is still available". Lots of people play games with words thinking they will fly under the radar. If you are honestly not trying to do this then take an extra minute and make it a worthwhile post explaining things rather than a one word response that would fall under the impression of bumping the thread. So in closing....a little common courtesy when using the forum would be appreciated.....read your own thread and make a coherent post if you don't want any of the staff to read it otherwise.

I'll put your ad back up but you need to go in and edit that post to read better in accordance with your now stated intention.

svopaul 4/24/08 05:31 PM

Well since someone wants to be smart and put up immature posts and not edit a prior one as requested maybe we should just delete all the threads and give them a time out.....after all, act like a little kid....might as well get disciplined like one. I'll give just a little more time for some reconsideration before taking any action.....but be certain if nothing changes in about 30 minutes the dunce cap will come out of the closet ;).

You know, everyone that moderates this site donates their time and it is a completely thankless job....there is a LOT of information to keep an eye on and we get a LOT of complaints and whining from many different levels...much with reason and some without. Those complaints with merit or lots of the same get action taken and that results in policies being made such as this one....don't like it? Tough...you just have to deal with it. One moderator has taken heat for trying to organize posts...something pretty harmless, it takes time that he is not paid for and in return he gets smartass comments from members which gets old quickly. It is pretty rude to try to show your butt in front of forum members acting like the class clown thinking you are being funny....there is a difference however in funny and acting like a smartass. Keep poking the bear though and see if you don't pull back a nub eventually. Posting things for sale here doesn't cost you a dime, makes you money and is a priveledge...not a right...and as a priveledge it can easily be removed.

project_v6 4/24/08 07:31 PM

I think the rules are fair and we really need it to avoid unnecessary "bumps". I appreciate the Mods for setting this Rule.

kh765 4/25/08 07:02 PM

I'm all for it, even though it makes more work for the mods.

tom281 4/25/08 07:48 PM

Paul, sending a PM.

Phorty 4/29/08 08:51 AM

I'm all for this! Now all we need is complete sentences, correct punctuation and capitalization, and an effort at good grammer.

2005GTDELUXE 4/29/08 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Phorty (Post 5558452)
I'm all for this! Now all we need is complete sentences, correct punctuation and capitalization, and an effort at good grammer.

and grammar too!

Phorty 4/30/08 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE (Post 5558471)
and grammar too!

I deserve that...

svopaul 5/24/08 06:50 AM

Since there are wild conspiracy theories running around and misinformation being spread by a small group about being banned for bumping posts(which has NEVER happened) I thought I would put the factual information here that I posted elsewhere when the topic came up. This is basically a common sense/common courtesy for your fellow TMS member policy that was brought about as a result of complaints from TMS members regarding this problem:

Let me try to explain how this came about and hopefully you will get a better understanding. Rules and policy are almost always a result of input/complaints from members. Many member complained about the constant bumping....not so much the ones after 2 or 3 days but the ones that occur within an hour or even 5 hours while that post is still on the very first page anyway.

Now...imagine the frustration of those who place an ad only to have it disappear to page 3 in a day because of all the people "bumping" THEIR threads....is that fair to the person? no, it basically amounts to an "in your face" used car salesman tactic.....people who read the classifieds usually go past the first 2 pages and the practice of "bumping" a thread only serves as a domino effect causing those who had no intention of doing this to do it because the ad they placed 4 hours ago is already on page 2 or 3 because 30 other people "bumped" their ad. This also serves to clutter the forum classifieds....people read an ad because something new has been posted only to find "bump"...they may or may not have an interest in the part of they may even be watching it because they have something similar to sell and are curious if your item sold and at what price so they can get an idea as to what to list theirs for....but they keep checking back and find nothing but a 2 page thread with mostly "bump" posts in it. If you have a good price on what you are selling then the item WILL sell....there is no need to get in everyone's face by "bumping" the thread every 3 hours.

Now the bump rule about 5 days is probably too long....but that was the initial setup and we wanted to watch how it went and judge it to see if any tweaks were needed and that probably will happen. This may change in the future depending how things proceed.

The bottom line with the whole "bumping" issue though is common courtesy...or lack of it. It is disrespectful to your fellow TMS members to constantly bump your own posts and send fellow members posts into page 3....you would not want it done to you, so why do it to someone else? After all...what makes one TMS member more important than any other that their ad should be constantly on the top of the first page.....think about it...it really is not only disrespectful to others but selfish as well.

Now...not EVERYONE is guilty of this and unfortunately as is the case many times, a few gross repeat offenders ruined it for everyone else. We really shouldn't even have to have this rule but the problem got worse and worse and the complaints came in....if we did nothing then people would complain the staff does nothing....so we do something and then people complain about that....for the staff here it is sometimes a no win situation.

Also notice that this rule was only applied to the parts for sale section....that is because that is were the abuse exists....not in the car for sale or parts wanted section and as a result, no enforcement of this rule has had to apply to those other forums.

This is the reasoning behind the rule on bumping sale threads....

tom281 8/30/08 03:37 PM

REMINDER TO THOSE WHO POST FOR SALE ADS..........

DO NOT "BUMP", "TTT", OR ADDITIONALLY PROMOTE YOUR AD IN ANY OTHER FASHION WITHIN FIVE DAYS OF THE ORIGINAL POSTING.

Thanks.

SilverSkoundrel 11/26/11 01:54 PM

quick question lol how do you "bump"? my items been on here sincs 11/17/11 and i wanted to "bump" it

texastboneking 11/26/11 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10
quick question lol how do you "bump"? my items been on here sincs 11/17/11 and i wanted to "bump" it

Lmao you simply make a post that says "bump"

cdynaco 11/26/11 02:42 PM

bump

:p

AlsCobra 11/26/11 02:58 PM

People bump ads multiple times because it puts the thread to the top when using the app. Of they only use the app, it will get way down on the list. There's a lot of members that use the app only.

SilverSkoundrel 11/26/11 03:07 PM

K thanks guys I just posted another, better picture of the item