The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Black (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f708/)
-   -   2006 gt conv (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f708/2006-gt-conv-546251/)

Larry Vincent 10/21/18 08:07 PM

2006 gt conv

I have a 2006 mustang gt that has a horrible galvanized corrosion issue on the hood.I've tried to get ford to fix it but no luck. The hood is getting worse every year. Has anyone got ford to step up to this issue.
Larry in Florida

houtex 10/21/18 09:24 PM

Sorry, Larry. There's plenty of threads regarding Ford and their aluminum failures. The aluminum hood is a problem for factory paint on the '05 and up. And Ford, if it's not under warranty (which your '06 is definitely not) is never, ever going to fix it now. If it *was* under warranty, they'd have wanted you to take to a dealer to get it repainted... but alas.

It's not galvanized corrosion. It's aluminum rust, you see. And that is highly protective to the hood, turns out. So that hood will never corrode through in hundreds of years, unless you introduce elemental mercury or highly corrosive acid or such. Then you got a shot, as all body panels and frames have an 'unlimited' (there's limits, mind, but they're pretty high) warranty for corrosion damage... if I recall correctly... but they'll still likely not replace it because they'll want to know just how you managed to get an aluminum hood to 'rust through', so the hood will be examined and suddenly there's a limit you hit. :p

So, nosir, there's no remedy except a self-pay repaint. Which I refused to do, and 'luckily' (I use that sarcastically at best) I got hit in the front in a minor hood bender, which trashed the hood, and I opted for an aftermarket Cobra R hood... and THAT will never corrode or have the paint let go. I highly recommend it. Reason being that if the aluminum won't hold paint once, it's likely not going to ever hold it, and/or you'll need an aluminum body panel wizard to paint it.

/Please note, I'm assuming you have the same bubbling paint here, without pictures to back it up, so if you somehow *did* manage to have a hood 'rust through', I would seriously like to see those pics... :photo: :nice:

Larry Vincent 10/26/18 07:51 AM

Cobra R hood

Thanks for the note on the aluminum hood paint issue. My 2006 Gt is beautiful except for the hood, how much (ball park) for a new hood. No since painting it if it's going to corrode again.

houtex 10/27/18 09:20 PM

Depends on what hood. If you want a stock one... Well, go find a good, reputable, honest, aluminum panel knowledgeable paint expert and have them strip the hood completely, and do their magic. Some of which offer lifetime on their work. That'd be a good place to get... "It's bubbling again, fix it!" It'll probably cost the same as replacing the stock one with another stock one and painting it... and hoping its 'factory' coat that comes with it sticks.

If you want a plastic/fiberglass one, they abound in various shapes and scoops and such... none of them stock looking, as they can't, there's laws or lawyers involved, IDK... and run anywhere from as low as 300ish to as high as 1500, unpainted. Ebay, Amazon, CJPony, LMR, American Muscle sell them, and they can be made by Cervini or Duraflex and so many many more.

I'd do a google search and verify any hood it shows, as sometimes it just shows a Mustang hood, truth, but it's a '67 or '03 or such. I found one for 97 bucks! It was a steel replacement... for a '95. :p So beware of the search, it's overzealous.