The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   LOST FORD KEYS PROCESS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/lost-ford-keys-process-542327/)

05stangkc 8/14/16 04:13 PM

LOST FORD KEYS PROCESS

I see a Growing Trend at the Store since I returned to the work force At Visalia Ford. LOST KEYS!

These Days Lost Keys can be BIG BUCKS! All the Different Styles add to the confusion. If you Do not have a Spare Key Bite the Bullet and get one. Currently The Ford Motor Company Database only goes back to 2007 for Ordering Keys by Vin Number. It jumps ahead Every Year.

I have never dealt with so many replacement Key Requests in all my years at the Dealership than I have in the Last Year.

Be Advised. As Per Ford a Dealer is not allowed to order Keys by vin without having the Vehicle Vin Verified, A Repair Order Written,Ownership Papers and Proper I.D. So if you have lost all the Keys it will have to be towed in. If your Dealer Short Cuts and Gets Caught Ford will not be Happy. Especially if it ends up being a fraud Issue where a non owner uses the Info for Theft.

If you have a Key Code This is a Non-Issue.

Some High End Locksmiths maybe a Better Alternative depending on the Vehicle and Style of Key. It pays to get Informed.

Here are some tips.

If you buy a New Vehicle make sure you are Provided with Two Keys and The Codes and or Frequency's Required to get Replacement Keys/Transponder. When applicable on The [ Frequency ].

If you are Buying Used get the Seller to get you an Extra Key Before Signing the Dotted Line. I have seen cases where the PCM Had Issues and a key could not be programmed without major Expense. After the Purchase you may get hung out to dry. Also some Used car Dealers Assume an Extra Key is a minimal expense and when it's not it could get ugly if they tell you to get one cut and bring you the bill. I have seen it.

If you have the old style Pats/Transponder Keys that have the Regular Cut Like The Keys did forever at Least get a DUMMY Key cut so all The Dealership/Locksmith can Duplicate Cut. A Dummy Key is Just a Plain Metal Key without a chip.

Be advised if you have a Mykey set for a Teenager and you Lose your Regular Key you are Stuck in Teenager Mode. Get a Third Key if you must use this feature. This way you are covered from being stuck in this mode.

Beware of the Internet Keys as Many while cheap and seem a bargain will not program & guess what you will have to pay somebody to program it and then find out they are Junk. I have seen it firsthand.

Stratec Supplies Fords Keys and are The way to go if you do not mind the Stratec Logo vs The Rotunda FORD Logo Keys which Ford Dealers Use. Be advised they will use some Aftermarket Keys as well but they know they will program.

Be advised Remote Start Accessory is many times just an Upgraded Key and a module Reprogram.

Be advised That a PCM/ECM and or Instrument Cluster Replacement Requires All Keys & Transmitters Be Available to Be Programmed. Inversely if you are getting an Extra Key all Must be Present as well to be Reprogrammed.

There are lots of other in's & outs I am sure don't come to mind at the moment but I simply wanted to share the Importance of having more than one Key for your Vehicle.

I am listing a Link to the Stratec Site which will help you Determine the Correct Key For Your Vehicle. Be advised Some Models use more than one style of key. Also Note The Frequency Difference. I use this Site along with Ford's Dealer Only Rotunda Site. It would not be a bad Idea to take a Pic of your Current Keys and Keep it with the Codes. Some Listings are that confusing. Might as well be as prepared as possable.

Normally the Key Tags on the Newer Vehicles Also Display The Frequency. In some Cases The Frequency Can Be found via Dealership Resources if the Person Handling The Keys are aware of where to look. While this Reference will not mean anything to other than those working in Ford Dealer Parts & Service The Frequency is usually listed in HVBOM Features or PTS/Oasis Additional Information. Again this does not pertain to all Fords.

On a Side Note,Be Advised any Good Dealership Parts Search Usually Requires a Complete VIN Number. but if a Vehicle is only a Few weeks from Being Delivered to The Dealership it may not yet be in All Ford Databases.

Older Keys are Not cataloged in the Regular Ford Parts catalog. But a Complete Vin will help usually fill in some blanks when searching for Keys. Old Style transmitters are cataloged in The parts Catalog.

Be advised on some Vehicles They had Add on FORD & Aftermarket Keyless Entry Transmitters from Time To Time.These are not Interchangable with an OEM Setup. Some may even say FORD on Them. So when Searching for Those a Picture can be Invaluable.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/

Catalog

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Ford

All The Ford Keys. Aye Carumba!

Enjoy!

K

05stangkc 7/17/22 01:51 PM

Hello,

While this Info is 7 Years old and Things may have changed a bit the Basic Idea of Not getting Stranded of Incurring Great Expense to Replace Keys is Good To Know! Take the Time to Review this Topic and Read any Key Related Info in Your Owners Manual! Also Check out the Links!

KC

Glenn 7/18/22 07:16 AM

Thank-you! If you have two key fobs it is easy to get an extra key made. But if you only have one fob and want a second you need to take your one fob and your car to the dealership to get the second.

05stangkc 7/18/22 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7068837)
Thank-you! If you have two key fobs it is easy to get an extra key made. But if you only have one fob and want a second you need to take your one fob and your car to the dealership to get the second.

Exactamundo!

KC