The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   The return of Lincoln Continental? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/return-lincoln-continental-488093/)

Zastava_101 10/5/10 01:21 PM

The return of Lincoln Continental?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/05/l...n-who-you-ask/

There's some word that Ford is seriously considering resurrecting the Continental name. The internets are buzzing with both confirmation and denial of the rumor depending on where you look. Over at Automotive News, a report suggests that dealers have been told that the Conti will resurface as part of an upcoming Lincoln renaissance that includes the introduction of up to seven new or significantly reworked models in short order. Those dealers have supposedly been shown a handful of concept-level renderings of what the new models will look like.

Meanwhile, Motor Authority is reporting that Ford is trying to silence any speculation that the big Continental will return to the Lincoln stable. The site quotes Lincoln spokesman Christian Bokich as saying that of the seven new models headed to the showroom soon, none of them are a new take on the Continental.

07S197 10/5/10 01:30 PM

Didn't Lincoln just ditch all of their "names" in place of the letter designation for models. Gee they need to make up their minds of there.

Evil_Capri 10/5/10 01:31 PM

Nice to hear/read all the speculation going on at FMC currently. I'm sure Mulally gets a kick out of all the speculation . . . .

Zastava_101 10/5/10 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 07S197 (Post 5957053)
Didn't Lincoln just ditch all of their "names" in place of the letter designation for models.

I guess that didn't work so they have to go to Plan B.

cdynaco 10/5/10 01:55 PM

Make mine a vert with suicide doors!

jsaylor 10/5/10 03:20 PM

If this is accurate it isn't really a surprise......just another case of Mulally and crew fixing yet another mistake made by somebody else before they got there.

stangfoeva 10/5/10 03:50 PM

jsaylor! welcome back man! I've missed your posts

Flagstang 10/5/10 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5957077)
Make mine a vert with suicide doors!

and then make it a mustang with those two options.

jsaylor 10/5/10 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5957145)
jsaylor! welcome back man! I've missed your posts

Thanks man, I've missed you guys too. Been busy, really busy in fact. So busy that I only today figured out that the site had been sold. Yeah, I've got some catching up to do. :)

stangfoeva 10/5/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by jsaylor (Post 5957243)
Thanks man, I've missed you guys too. Been busy, really busy in fact. So busy that I only today figured out that the site had been sold. Yeah, I've got some catching up to do. :)

hahah did the new layout throw you for a loop? Glad you're back there's lots to discuss. Ford products are getting better and better

hi5.0 10/6/10 12:57 AM

If the car is resurrected, they could build it as a luxo-coupe like the Mk-series and get away with calling it "MKC" (C=coupe) with "Continental" in smaller script underneath. Or something like that. A coupe/hard top 'vert with suicide doors would be cool.

Zastava_101 10/6/10 09:00 AM

If Lincoln wants to compete with big boys, they really need a RWD and V8.

Moosetang 10/6/10 01:13 PM

Easy there, guys. The Lincoln dealers were shown an internal concept for the next full-size premium Lincoln sedan with suicide doors and the dealers referred to it as "like a Continental" when asked later. The insiders are saying the car hasn't been named yet, debate on what direction to take Lincoln naming is ongoing. There's even some rumors that this is an Extended/Limousine-edition of the next MKS.

Originally Posted by Red Star (Post 5957545)
If Lincoln wants to compete with big boys, they really need a RWD and V8.

If you listen to the end of the latest Autoblog podcast, they lay out pretty plainly why Lincoln can thrive without either.

Zastava_101 10/6/10 01:56 PM

Since I haven't listen to it yet ... could you summarize it for me please?