Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Resurrecting Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/10, 05:35 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Resurrecting Lincoln

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Great Rant this week by Peter De Lorenzo on Lincoln . . .

Lincoln’s first task? Lincoln marketers must understand where the brand has been and where it is now – in very realistic terms, I might add – before they have a shot at figuring out where they want to go with it and what they want it to be when they launch it out of its now perennial “intermittent sophisticated luxury (sort of)” holding pattern.

After all, where do you begin? Is Lincoln going to be going after the German luxury-performance dynamic - like Cadillac has tried to do - albeit with a boldly American design presence? Or is it going to wimp-out and align itself with the “blissfully unconscious” school of luxury that Lexus has called its own for going on decades now? Or what about taking aim at Audi’s hard-won positioning as the sophisticated, technology-laden, thinking person’s ideal of advanced German luxury-performance?

What would I do with Lincoln? Well, first of all, I wouldn’t do any of the above. It’s fine to be soberly aware of your competitors and their strengths, weaknesses and capabilities, but it’s quite another to get lost in “chasing” another competitor’s persona. That’s nothing but a dead-end road filled with abject disappointment.

No, Lincoln has to carve out a new identity all its own, not only keeping in mind that that its name has been part of the American fabric for decades, but also being very aware that for many its current image and reputation are nonexistent, or at best wrapped-up in the black sedans of the livery trade.

The “new” Lincoln must have a bold and unmistakable design presence. Its new design “face” – the one that is slowly making its way throughout the current Lincoln lineup - can only be a starting point. From there I want the words “dramatic” and “stunning” to be instantly associated with the brand. There should be no mistaking that it’s a new Lincoln on the road, no matter what segment it is.

As for technology, if I was running Lincoln I’d want all of it. Lincoln must be the “tip of the technological spear” for the Ford Motor Company in every respect. That means Lincoln must have state-of-the-art dynamic capabilities, advanced electronic capability and connectivity, the very latest in safety technology, and a concentrated emphasis on overall operating efficiency, with the advanced and sophisticated drivetrains that are required to be taken seriously in this market.
Old 6/9/10, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting read, thx! since merc is now dead, my .02 on Lincoln:

Sedan/Coupes-
  • c-segment lincoln "focus": fwd/awd, sedan and 2dr hardtop convert only, EB I4 (entry level lux, competes with vw, volvo s40, etc)
  • MKZ: fwd/awd, current engine, plus a "high performance" EB v6 (competes with lexus es, acura, etc)
  • MKR: rwd/awd mustang based sedan and coupe w/IRS v6/EB v6 & v8 (competes with 3 series, CTS, G37, C-class)
  • MKS: fwd/awd, current engine, make exterior and interior more class leading and exciting (current engine lineup is decent, needs a lincoln only top of the line engine, perhaps v8)
  • MK??: full-size rwd/awd, 7 series, A8, LS460, S-class competitor, stretched mustang platform sedan and luxury grand touring coupe to compete with 6 series, CL65, etc
CUV/SUVs-
  • Linc Kuga/Escape sized CUV - EB I4, fwd/awd
  • MKX: needs a more unique, exciting exterior/interior makeover
  • MKT: exterior needs to be redone, grille is still too excessive
  • Navigator: needs a huge overhaul, exterior/interior/engine to better compete with Escalade, RR's, ML's
one could dream, right?
Old 6/10/10, 12:37 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Most of that is actually pretty close to what we're likely to see, SyNRG. Until I see otherwise, though, C-seg Lincoln is likely to be a crossover of some sort. And Full-size RWD sedan is incredibly unlikely. If there's a new RWD sedan it will by 5-series size MAX. The current Taurus and MKS are the biggest sedans of any flavor we'll see for awhile from FoMoCo.

The good news is that new RWD talk is starting to pick up again. For example: A couple rumors about a new ford Uber-Coupe aimed at competing with the 'Vette are floating around, and that only makes sense if the shared global RWD architecture is finally getting off the back burner. GRWD would mean a new RWD Linc.

Last edited by Moosetang; 6/10/10 at 12:38 AM.
Old 6/10/10, 10:04 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

They can start with changing the whole MK-nonsense.
Old 6/10/10, 10:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Red Star

EXACTLY.....If Lincoln is going to be a fresh start they should let go of that MK? crap altogether. Bring back Continental and other well known names.
Old 6/12/10, 07:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the Whole Eur/Asian Alpha Numeric Marketing. It's Confusing, Why do they have to follow everyone else? With almost all of the Eur/Asian manufacturers going to a Alpha/Numeric designation, Lincoln could/should stand out from the crowd with actual NAMED models. Not to mention, I take it as a personal Slap In The Face to the much LOVED and Classic "Mark" Models of the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's which were all Luxury Coupes.
Old 6/12/10, 08:00 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

+1,000,000
Old 6/12/10, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

+ 10,000,000
Old 6/12/10, 11:09 AM
FR500 Member

+1. Give the cars proper names and make them worthy of competing directly with the best. A Mark IX/X LSC is long overdue.
Old 6/12/10, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Funny thing,

My sister has an '07 Navagator. While it's very plush and classy looking, she complains about it feeling like a truck and b!tches about the road noise and rattles. Maybe they can address these points as well.
Old 6/13/10, 06:00 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by WaltM
Funny thing,

My sister has an '07 Navagator. While it's very plush and classy looking, she complains about it feeling like a truck and b!tches about the road noise and rattles.
It is a truck . . . so it will always feel like a truck in some manner.
Old 6/13/10, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would love to see a new Mark flagship coupe, or why not make a sedan version too? Mercedes, BMW & others have done it, why not Lincoln? And for God's sake, put names on the other cars. Mark should remain only on the top models, not on everything else. Imagine a Focus with Lincoln's current badging, MKF. Could be translated as Mark Fail.
Old 6/13/10, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
It is a truck . . . so it will always feel like a truck in some manner.

Yea I know it's a truck. But I wonder if the Escalade or the premium asian offerings are more refined...
Old 6/13/10, 08:44 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by WaltM
Yea I know it's a truck. But I wonder if the Escalade or the premium asian offerings are more refined...
Escalade (of 2007 vintage) feels like a very nice Tahoe. Which doesn't mean it stinks, but it feels like what it is. Lexus LX470 feels like a Land Cruiser which is a fine SUV. The Land Cruisers/LX always fealt a little heavier than Navigators I have driven from a few years ago. I dare dare a little more solid than a Navigator/Escalade of 2007, but not by much.
Old 6/13/10, 09:03 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

A friend of mine at work has a BMW X5.

That thing is more uncomfortable than my F-150.
Old 6/13/10, 09:15 AM
Cobra R Member

A friend of mine at work has a BMW X5.That thing is more uncomfortable than my F-150.
Is that the one that's made in Austria by a subcontractor ? I remember they did actually "farm out" an SUV...
Old 6/13/10, 09:34 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm not sure, it's a newer model.
Old 6/13/10, 09:41 AM
Cobra R Member

The X3 was the Austrian model, not the X5. Just curious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3
Old 6/15/10, 08:33 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Can Ford Get Lincoln Right?

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6656935/...ght/index.html
Old 6/15/10, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lincoln needs a performance division. Call it HRL (Hot Rod Lincoln's).

Quick Reply: Resurrecting Lincoln