The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Owning a truck? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/owning-truck-536903/)

2k7gtcs 5/2/15 12:25 AM

I own a Mustang and a truck

Rog13GTCS 5/3/15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenGT (Post 6921911)
I went looking for a 2014 F-150 fx4 luxury plus appearance package because the new 2015's were out and takin numbers. I got my fx4 crewcab for a REALLY good deal. I have a pooch and a motorcycle so having a pickup is a must. And having a nice truck makes it not so bad as a daily driver. It is an ecoboost with pretty good mileage if you take it easy.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...psc0a2ddfc.jpg

Darren, that is one nice looking truck :drool:, and I see Tag in the back :).

OP. I can understand where you are coming from. We have 2 sedans and my Mustang. There are many times when, it would be very helpful to have a Pickup, for its utility value, hauling or towing. 2 vehicles that are on my short list are a Pickup and a Jeep. Always wanted one. I would love to do some 4x4ing. It would be nice to not have to drive the Stang every day.

I would think about what your needs are, and if the pickup meets the your requirements then go for it.

David Young 5/6/15 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its nice to have a truck. My Dad always had a truck, i could use it anytime i needed it. When my Dad passed away a couple years ago, i got to have his truck. Its a 1991 F150 with 58,000 miles, he bought it 'new'. http://IMG 0165.JPG

TripleBlack14 5/6/15 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 6923634)
Its nice to have a truck. My Dad always had a truck, i could use it anytime i needed it. When my Dad passed away a couple years ago, i got to have his truck. Its a 1991 F150 with 58,000 miles, he bought it 'new'. http://IMG 0165.JPG

That's a very nice looking truck. If it's in as good a condition as the pic makes it appear, it's a keeper. Plus it was your Dad's.

CCTking 5/6/15 06:17 AM

Ive got an 06 Tacoma sr5 double cab. It comes in real handy when i need to make trips to home depot or lowes or wanna head out to the beach. Really just about anything when i dont want to take the mustang out, especially when its raining super bad. Heck ive een put a couple moto-x bikes in the back and me and a few buddies went out and hit some trails.

Having a truck as a secondary vehicle really makes life alot easier

David Young 5/6/15 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14 (Post 6923635)
That's a very nice looking truck. If it's in as good a condition as the pic makes it appear, it's a keeper. Plus it was your Dad's.

Thank You. Yes, the picture was made last year. Several people have offered to buy it. I'll never sell it because it was my Dad's. :)

Mustang Freak 5/6/15 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 6923730)
Thank You. Yes, the picture was made last year. Several people have offered to buy it. I'll never sell it because it was my Dad's. :)

:nice:

09-gt/cs 5/6/15 11:43 PM

Its all about what you need. I owned a ranger for 6 years before i traded for the GT/CS in all honesty 90% of what i used it for can be done with the mustang. It was my daily and i rarely hauled or towed anything with it. if you want good gas mileage for a daily a small car such as a focus or a civic or the like is a better choice. Even the compact trucks such as the ranger were not that great for daily use. My ranger was super reliable but gas milage was within 1 or 2 mpg of my mustang and the mustang is way more fun to drive. Make sure you check out all options before picking a truck I'm 6'4" myself and the ranger was ok only because i put expo 6 way power seats in it for more room and even my brothers 08 f150 doesn't seem to have that much more room in the drivers seat. Make sure you test drive each option and make a list of what you want. No car/truck is perfect but by the one that fits as many of your needs/wants as possible.

bt4 5/7/15 12:10 PM

I had a Ford Ranger for almost 14 years--great utility vehicle. It hauled a lot of plants, mulch, gravel, and on occasion furniture.

I don't have much need for a pickup these days, but if Ford releases an updated F-150 SVT Lightning--I might reconsider!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lightni...ckup-rendered/

09-gt/cs 5/7/15 02:40 PM

I agree with the lightning I liked those and the tremor was a good start but the price tag and no 5.0 option killed that off quick. Now a regular cab shortbed with the voodoo motor sounds very appealing.

bt4 5/7/15 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to see a new F150 Lightning. The Voodoo would be wicked. But, I like the Raptor, and I wouldn't mind if Ford decided to offer a Lightning with the Raptor's twin-turbo V6. But I agree it would have to be a standard cab, short bed, designed with the intent of being a street machine. I wouldn't mind if Ford even borrowed the Raptor style grill.

09-gt/cs 5/7/15 08:57 PM

Yeah I like that concept pic but with the failure of the tremor package I doubt it will come back as an ecoboost at least not the 3.5 flavor anyway.

bt4 5/8/15 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs (Post 6924122)
Yeah I like that concept pic but with the failure of the tremor package I doubt it will come back as an ecoboost at least not the 3.5 flavor anyway.

The problem with the Tremor was not the V6; the problem was that it wasn't special enough to justify the price tag. A Raptor could be had for the price of the 4x4 Tremor. Essentially, the Tremor was just a trim package for the standard cab F150, with the same 365-HP motor.

On the other hand, the new D35 AL block motor going into the Raptor would make a standard cab F150 very special. The lighter weight F150, coupled with the lighter AL block D35 pushing close to 500-HP and about 450-ft lbs of torque would be special enough to warrant the price increase over the regular standard cab. (Rumor has it the new twin-turbo Raptor will produce somewhere between 450-500 HP.)

TripleBlack14 5/8/15 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 6924178)
The problem with the Tremor was not the V6; the problem was that it wasn't special enough to justify the price tag. A Raptor could be had for the price of the 4x4 Tremor. Essentially, the Tremor was just a trim package for the standard cab F150, with the same 365-HP motor.

On the other hand, the new D35 AL block motor going into the Raptor would make a standard cab F150 very special. The lighter weight F150, coupled with the lighter AL block D35 pushing close to 500-HP and about 450-ft lbs of torque would be special enough to warrant the price increase over the regular standard cab. (Rumor has it the new twin-turbo Raptor will produce somewhere between 450-500 HP.)

I miss the Ranger. Ford is doing an all-new for one most markets except the US. I'm surprised because I heard that the Chev Colorado is doing well.

09-gt/cs 5/8/15 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
To bt4 i agree it had the price tag of a lightning but no where near the uniqueness of it. It was all the same features of the bigger trucks stuffed into a regular cab. Ford really has some good ideas but they rarely execute in recent years. I built my last project truck an 03 ranger like the SEMA concepts. They had some awesome looking stuff but then something gets lost in production. Take these pics for example.
Attachment 171116

This is the concept

Attachment 171117
This is what we got on the showroom floor. Leaves a lot to be desired but the price didn't reflect it and was quickly dropped after a couple years.

I think the tremor could be good if they keep the finance guys out of the decisions. They have had some great concepts lately but it seems like the penny pinchers get involved and we end up with stripped down overpriced junk.

Mustm26 5/8/15 08:53 AM

Do you own a truck?

1 Attachment(s)
Very difficult to haul a water heater home in your Mustang.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...1&d=1431096642

JMan69 5/8/15 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Ranger 4x4 that was my daily driver for the last 10 years. I couldn't survive without a pick-up. My little Ranger has been hauling Dirtbikes out to mountains in CA every other weekend, tows my 12' fishing boat with ease and fulfills every trip to Home Depot for projects. Right now, she has a 330 high pressure steel cylinder in the back that will get refilled on my way home from work for my welder.

My 2015 GT on order will replace the Ranger as my DD, but I'm keeping the truck as I will be using it for Fishing trips etc for the 4x4 and everything listed above.

I also have a 62 Ranchero, which I guess is a truck too, but doesn't ever haul anything... except hauling @**... which it does with ease weighing only 2600 pounds and has about 375 rwhp.:nice:

Can't beach fish for Bull Reds in Texas out of my mustang or Ranchero for that matter!

TripleBlack14 5/8/15 10:25 AM

"On order: 2015 Mustang GT PP Blk/Blk Recaros
1969 Mustang Convertible Carbed 302/Tremec/9" 4:10s
1962 Falcon Ranchero EFI 302/Tremec/8" 3:80s
2001 Ranger Edge 4.0/Auto 4x4/4:10s/33x12.5s"

Nice collection of Fords. Bet you have a tramp stamp Blue Oval tatoo'd on your back. :metal:

JMan69 5/8/15 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14 (Post 6924222)
"On order: 2015 Mustang GT PP Blk/Blk Recaros
1969 Mustang Convertible Carbed 302/Tremec/9" 4:10s
1962 Falcon Ranchero EFI 302/Tremec/8" 3:80s
2001 Ranger Edge 4.0/Auto 4x4/4:10s/33x12.5s"

Nice collection of Fords. Bet you have a tramp stamp Blue Oval tatoo'd on your back. :metal:

No @$$ antlers for me, but I do have ink of the rod & piston from my built 302 along with a skull on my forearm...

bt4 5/8/15 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14 (Post 6924183)
I miss the Ranger. Ford is doing an all-new for one most markets except the US. I'm surprised because I heard that the Chev Colorado is doing well.

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs (Post 6924193)
Ford really has some good ideas but they rarely execute in recent years. I built my last project truck an 03 ranger like the SEMA concepts. They had some awesome looking stuff but then something gets lost in production.

I miss the Ranger as well--and Ford does seem relatively--I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here--(timid?, conservative?, restrained?) with concepts, over the last decade.

SEMA did have some interesting concepts, but the one Ranger concept that caught my eye was from SVT way back in 2004. Ford SVT built a one-of called the Lightning Bolt--http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...g_bolt_ranger/

It was a Ranger modified to accept the blown 5.4 from the Lightning. It was over the top impractical--but I am thinking it would have put a smile on my to drive it. (Honey, I'm making a quick trip to the store for some chips and salsa!)