The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Lincoln MKS...... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/lincoln-mks-466222/)

cheech6g 3/31/08 08:33 PM

Lincoln MKS......

How do all of you feel about this car? I personally haven't liked it since we saw its concept, and now I still dont like it. When I saw it at the NYIAS last week, even in person it just didnt do anything for me. I told the guy who was the "Lincoln Representative" how I felt and he said that I was the only person all week who didnt like it. I find that really hard to believe. Anyways I was just curious......its just not a lincoln in my opinion.

http://www.autospider.net/images/200...%20MKS%201.jpg

Zastava_101 3/31/08 08:57 PM

It's ok I guess. Nothing special, but still nice car.

future9er24 3/31/08 09:15 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty much 100% with Zoran on this one

Moosetang 3/31/08 09:22 PM

I think its a very good first step. It's working away from the fleet/old-person Lincolns of the past and toward a better future. Is it as drop-dead gorgeous as the MKR? No. But it looks modern, classy, and even sporty. With the GTDI engine and AWD it will be a screamer, as well.

jsaylor 3/31/08 09:22 PM

The MKS is a nice enough car. It's no Lincoln despite what the badge may say, but it's still a fairly nice car.

StangMahn 3/31/08 10:20 PM

I like the front fascia, but its not really impressive

cheech6g 3/31/08 10:22 PM

I just think it looks like it cant decide if it wants to be an Infinity or Lexus. Too bad, cause I really like the MKZ. I also told the guy that after they introduce the V6TT in this, that they should offer it in the MKZ also to have a car compete with the CTS-V and AMG C63 but at a cheaper price....he pretty much had no idea what i was talking about.

Evil_Capri 4/1/08 04:48 AM

I like the MKS much more than the MKZ. The MKZ has too much of a 'Fusion' feel to me. Not that there is anything wrong with the Fusion, but there isn't a big enough differentiation in my opinion.

The MKS I was able to sit in at a recent autoshow left no feeling of Five Hundred/Taurus. I will reserve further judgement until I drive one.

Knight 4/1/08 07:02 AM

I think its cool, but it definatly needs a hot twin turbo awd version!

WaltM 4/1/08 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 5539946)
I like the MKS much more than the MKZ. The MKZ has too much of a 'Fusion' feel to me. Not that there is anything wrong with the Fusion, but there isn't a big enough differentiation in my opinion.

I feel the same way. In addition, there's a Milan that dilutes any mojo that the MKZ may have.

Rogue6 4/1/08 07:40 PM

I had the opportunity today to sit in an MKS. It must be doing a tour or something as it was only on display from Sunday Through Tuesday. It was the White Chocolate Tricoat or some other off white name with the tan/beige interior. Two colors I am not wild about...let me have it in Vapor Silver with Dark Charcoal interior. Here is my 2 cents...

Exterior Design: It is a good departre from current design at Ford/Lincoln. The hood indentation in the center is odd looking in photos, but give the hoods some good surface tension. The headlights have a great design flair. The plastic in the lower front air dam looks cheap. It is painted to look like chrome/brushed aluminum...it doesn't. The doors and rear quarter panel could use some of the surface tension the hood has. They are very slab sided...and very high. You can tell the way they shortened the greenhouse (for the sporty feel of course) was to raise the sheetmetal on the doors. Also, the chrome strip under the doors look good, but the black plastic below it really needs to go. I didn't like the taillights at first, but in person they suit the car.

Interior: BEAUTIFUL!!! That is all I can say. The seats are what you would expect from to find in a Lincoln...supportive, comfortable, and hug you in the right places. I was pleasantly surprised to find a power tilt/telescope wheel. The dash...which a writer in Automobile hated...looks great and very similar to the XF. The leather wrapped dash and steering wheel felt great. Everywhere you touch, you touch soft textures. The doors are wrapped in leather as well...a nice touch...pun intended. There is a power rear window shade, dual sunroofs (sunrooves?), and Sync 2.0 is amazing! I do have a couple of concerns...the right-rear blindspot might prove distressing in traffic, the rear window is rather small, and the way the rear seat goes straight down with no angle for the thigh to the floor. The legroom, front and rear, is as cavernous as the trunk...you can tell it is related to the Taurus/Sable. The swooping rear end does mean that the trunk opening itself is small...and with a trunk that large, I would expect to be able to slide a wide screen in there if the opening was larger.

Just some of my thoughts. Overall, I was impressed and hope that some of the changes made here are also made when the F/M/MKZ are remodeled next year. Also, the sales guy said the new Taurus is supposed to be gorgeous! Here's hoping!

Rogue6

Hollywood_North GT 4/3/08 02:45 AM

It's just far too generic looking, with lots of disparate intersecting elements. It shows none of the clear, bold design direction that Caddy has achieved with the current CTS.

My prediction is that while it will sell, it will never be a segment leader, and will grow stale quite quickly. It's a step up for Lincoln, but incohesive and doesn't go far enough to stand apart or lead the pack.

edumspeed 4/3/08 11:11 PM

Not too bad. One step up, but not enough to beat the competition.

cheech6g 4/4/08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 5541519)
It's just far too generic looking, with lots of disparate intersecting elements. It shows none of the clear, bold design direction that Caddy has achieved with the current CTS.

My prediction is that while it will sell, it will never be a segment leader, and will grow stale quite quickly. It's a step up for Lincoln, but incohesive and doesn't go far enough to stand apart or lead the pack.

I agree completely. I dont think its a bad car, just not enough, and def not a Lincoln. Also I think the center stack is complete crap. Cheap plastic and just a plain look. Good idea to set it up like the Jag's, but no where near as nice when comparing the two.

Hollywood_North GT 4/5/08 01:22 PM

Yeah, I don't think it will do particularly well in the market, either. It won't enjoy anywhere near the success that the CTS is. The Ford execs will scratch their collective heads and wonder why.

Maybe one day they'll actually figure it out - hopefully before the brand goes under.

hi5.0 4/6/08 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 5543209)
Yeah, I don't think it will do particularly well in the market, either. It won't enjoy anywhere near the success that the CTS is. The Ford execs will scratch their collective heads and wonder why.

Maybe one day they'll actually figure it out - hopefully before the brand goes under.

IMO, Lincoln is pretty much the domestic analog of Acura in comparison to its Japanese luxury car rivals. The cars may be merely okay, but that's all they ever will be because the competition simply overshadows them in terms of style and performance (they're all but invisible to me). "Generic luxury?" Pass. I do wish Lincoln could begin to approach Acura's level of brand reliability though.

Evil_Capri 4/6/08 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by cheech6g (Post 5542453)
I agree completely. I dont think its a bad car, just not enough, and def not a Lincoln. Also I think the center stack is complete crap. Cheap plastic and just a plain look. Good idea to set it up like the Jag's, but no where near as nice when comparing the two.

The Lincoln is a better attempt at being a 'Lincoln' than some recent examples, but resembles them as well.

Remember the Ford Granada . . . err . . Lincoln Versailles? Or how about the Continental from '88-'02? Which actually would be the closest to the MKS in terms of related Lincolns since both are based of the Taurus chassis of their time. As much as I like the MKS, and I look forward to a test drive . . . it isn't a LS.

cheech6g 4/6/08 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri (Post 5543677)
The Lincoln is a better attempt at being a 'Lincoln' than some recent examples, but resembles them as well.

Remember the Ford Granada . . . err . . Lincoln Versailles? Or how about the Continental from '88-'02? Which actually would be the closest to the MKS in terms of related Lincolns since both are based of the Taurus chassis of their time. As much as I like the MKS, and I look forward to a test drive . . . it isn't a LS.

No it isn't an LS......THAT was a car, and a Lincoln. They had such a good idea with the LS, and then decided "oh wait, we don't need to do ANYTHING to it throughout its lifespain." Well that worked out nicely for them.:banghead: I just want to see Lincoln be that "Brand" we all know it can be. It easily has one of the classiest history's in the industry, only to be overshadowed by their current "ideas of what is NOW a Lincoln." I'm sorry for the negativity, its just that I see SO much potential for Lincoln and they always seem to screw it up somehow.

FLAstangx3 4/6/08 12:32 PM

It needs to be; Wider, Lower, and Longer. (hm, where have I heard that before) :)

Hollywood_North GT 4/7/08 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cheech6g (Post 5543822)
No it isn't an LS......THAT was a car, and a Lincoln. They had such a good idea with the LS, and then decided "oh wait, we don't need to do ANYTHING to it throughout its lifespain." Well that worked out nicely for them.:banghead: I just want to see Lincoln be that "Brand" we all know it can be. It easily has one of the classiest history's in the industry, only to be overshadowed by their current "ideas of what is NOW a Lincoln." I'm sorry for the negativity, its just that I see SO much potential for Lincoln and they always seem to screw it up somehow.

Blame management. Company needs an enema.