The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Lincoln MKR featured on Lincoln web site (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/lincoln-mkr-featured-lincoln-web-site-458842/)

TomServo92 10/12/07 06:18 AM

Lincoln MKR featured on Lincoln web site

Here's the link. Notice the "Appearance of vehicle subject to change" disclaimer on the bottom left. Makes me wonder if they aren't planning to build it after all!

Hollywood_North GT 10/12/07 06:38 AM

Well, the fact that it appears by default when the page first loads, and that the tab says "FUTURE VEHICLES," indicates to me that you may well be right.

This site is an improvement, too. Maybe that new marketing guy formerly with Lexus has already gotten to work. :grin:

They need to build the MKR, and make it even BETTER than the new CTS. THAT would get the world's attention in a hurry. I just pray that if they do build it, they don't alter the design very much.

TomServo92 10/12/07 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1022878)
Well, the fact that it appears by default when the page first loads, and that the tab says "FUTURE VEHICLES," indicates to me that you may well be right.

This site is an improvement, too. Maybe that new marketing guy formerly with Lexus has already gotten to work. :grin:

They need to build the MKR, and make it even BETTER than the new CTS. THAT would get the world's attention in a hurry. I just pray that if they do build it, they don't alter the design very much.

:werd:

Knight 10/12/07 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1022867)
Here's the link. Notice the "Appearance of vehicle subject to change" disclaimer on the bottom left. Makes me wonder if they aren't planning to build it after all!

seems to me that means that the look of the vehicle may chnage not wether or not they are making it. :dunno:

Knight 10/12/07 08:02 AM

I can't figure out how they can charge 42k for a base town car and the high end model reachs 50k... thast nuts

TomServo92 10/12/07 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 1022919)
seems to me that means that the look of the vehicle may chnage not wether or not they are making it. :dunno:

Why put a disclaimer like that on a vehicle they aren't planning to sell?

Knight 10/12/07 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1022953)
Why put a disclaimer like that on a vehicle they aren't planning to sell?

it never says on the site that they aren't planning to sell it.

TomServo92 10/12/07 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 1023016)
it never says on the site that they aren't planning to sell it.

OK, I think we're misunderstanding each other. What I'm trying to say is that if it's only a concept why state that the appearance might change. I took that as a possible indication that production is possible. Otherwise, there's no reason to make that statement.

Moosetang 10/12/07 01:51 PM

Welll, put it this way; Were you Alan Mullaly and you saw every car mag, car site, and car show go absolutely Ga-Ga over the MKR, wouldn't you take Linc's engineers and execs aside and say "I don't care if its just a styling exercise and you didn't plan to build it, we're making this thing!"

I know I would.

BTW the MKR's too big to compete with the CTS, for better or worse that's MKS territory. But they should still build it, going up against the 7-series competitively is just the sort of Bold Move Linc could use.

codeman94 10/12/07 02:30 PM

I say it would be a waste to take all of that money spent on develepment and engineering to build a car that will sell only around 15,000 units a year...I say take all that power and technology and send it to mustang where they can sell 175,000 a year of them...I think that makes business sense.

TomServo92 10/12/07 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by codeman94 (Post 1023216)
I say it would be a waste to take all of that money spent on develepment and engineering to build a car that will sell only around 15,000 units a year...I say take all that power and technology and send it to mustang where they can sell 175,000 a year of them...I think that makes business sense.

IMO, they should spend the money on developing a RWD platform that underpins multiple vehicles such as the MKR, Mustang, Intercepter, whatever. That's an efficient use of the money instead of using it on the current Mustang which sits on a single-use platform.

codeman94 10/12/07 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by TomServo92 (Post 1023227)
IMO, they should spend the money on developing a RWD platform that underpins multiple vehicles such as the MKR, Mustang, Intercepter, whatever. That's an efficient use of the money instead of using it on the current Mustang which sits on a single-use platform.

kinda what I was getting at but much more understandable. Thanks!

Hollywood_North GT 10/12/07 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 1023177)
BTW the MKR's too big to compete with the CTS, for better or worse that's MKS territory. But they should still build it, going up against the 7-series competitively is just the sort of Bold Move Linc could use.

MKR is not a 7-Series competitor.

Ford has a long way to go before they can even dream about building a vehicle that could compete with the 7-Series.

And the CTS isn't that small. It's almost as big as the BMW 5-Series, which is right where the MKR would compete.

Hollywood_North GT 10/12/07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by codeman94 (Post 1023216)

I think the point is that they should be leveraging platforms and technologies - as opposed to rebadged body styles :rolleyes: - across the company.

V10 10/12/07 04:03 PM

I don't get it, why would they put up computer generated images instead of photso of the real show car.