Ford to stop making cars! - Page 2 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford to stop making cars!

Old 7/9/18, 07:23 AM   #21  

They are going to come out with hybrids and diesels. I think in 2020 you will see a hybrid Ford Explorer. I have friends who work at Ford dealerships. They have shown me the daily sales reports. I would see a list of their cars sold. Maybe they would sell 1 or 2 Fusions and the rest of the day they sold 10 to 12 trucks and SUV's. People don't want cars anymore. Or not enough of them do. Ford has huge inventories of cars sitting on lots that isn't moving. I can't say I blame them for discontinuing the sales. People seem to either want a fast and fun car, a.k.a. the Mustang, or they want something with utility to carry stuff, i.e. F-150, Explorer, Escape, etc. Plus now that they have the new Ecosport, there's no real need to have a Focus or Fiesta. An Ecosport is just like having one of those cars, but much more comfortable to get in and out of and has more utility.
2015GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 7/9/18, 07:32 AM   #22  
GTR Member

And yet Toyota and Honda keep selling ~400,000 Accords and Camrys every year.

Make a car that people like, people will buy it.

Make a rental car, and only rental companies will buy it.

The Taurus is overweight and small on the inside for the size of the car.
The Fusion has lost its appeal with the current design, it looks blah. And the Sport model has 325hp but it's boring on the inside and out, and certainly doesn't look very sporty.
The Focus and Fiesta have been plagues by transmission issues with the automatic tranny. That dual-clutch unit has been horrible every year they've offered it.
The pre-2012 Focus was a better-driving car. I had a 2010 and have driven a 2015. I hated the '15.

Ford's given up on the minivan after they couldn't make one that people would buy, now they're doing the same thing with sedans.

Meanwhile, Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai and others are selling every one they can build.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 09:14 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
And yet Toyota and Honda keep selling ~400,000 Accords and Camrys every year.

Make a car that people like, people will buy it.

Make a rental car, and only rental companies will buy it.

The Taurus is overweight and small on the inside for the size of the car.
The Fusion has lost its appeal with the current design, it looks blah. And the Sport model has 325hp but it's boring on the inside and out, and certainly doesn't look very sporty.
The Focus and Fiesta have been plagues by transmission issues with the automatic tranny. That dual-clutch unit has been horrible every year they've offered it.
The pre-2012 Focus was a better-driving car. I had a 2010 and have driven a 2015. I hated the '15.

Ford's given up on the minivan after they couldn't make one that people would buy, now they're doing the same thing with sedans.

Meanwhile, Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai and others are selling every one they can build.
You speak a lot of sad truth, sir. I cannot argue with anything you've said. You pretty much nailed it. If I know this, and you know this, and everyone else knows this... WHY DOESN'T FORD KNOW THIS?! Why don't they hire some designers from BMW?
Old 7/9/18, 09:20 AM   #24  
Shelby GT350 Member

Gabe hit the nail on the head. This reminds me of the big three American automakers wanting tariffs on the Japanese cars back in the 1980's because American cars weren't selling. They wanted to essentially make the imports unaffordable. Build what the consumer wants and they will buy it.
SpectreH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 10:58 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreH View Post
Gabe hit the nail on the head. This reminds me of the big three American automakers wanting tariffs on the Japanese cars back in the 1980's because American cars weren't selling. They wanted to essentially make the imports unaffordable. Build what the consumer wants and they will buy it.
If they were smart, they would buy those imported cars, tear them apart to see how they are made and copy them. They should do the same thing China/Japan has done to us for decades. Make cars that run well and rarely break down. Then nobody will have a reason to buy an imported car because the American cars should be superior.
Old 7/9/18, 04:50 PM   #26  
GTR Member

I tried to like the Accord and Camry but I just couldn't so I went with an Explorer and never looked back.

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 7/9/18 at 05:12 PM.
Mustang Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/10/18, 11:30 AM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak View Post
I tried to like the Accord and Camry but I just couldn't so I went with an Explorer and never looked back.
You are a smart man. The Explorer is 10x more comfortable than an Accord or Camry. My sister has a new Camry. She told me 3 days ago that she's dying to get rid of it. It's too small. Not good for road trips when you have a car full of people and luggage. Sedans leave you so cramped. The Explorer is nice if you get the smart and safe package with SYNC 3 Connect. I also have an Explorer for my other vehicle. I love the built-in hotspot. $20/mo for unlimited WiFi. I have passengers that ride with us from outside the country and it allows them to at least have WiFi to use to keep in touch on Facebook and WhatsApp.
Old 7/10/18, 03:09 PM   #28  
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015GT350
If they were smart, they would buy those imported cars, tear them apart to see how they are made and copy them. They should do the same thing China/Japan has done to us for decades. Make cars that run well and rarely break down. Then nobody will have a reason to buy an imported car because the American cars should be superior.
If they make cars that don't break down, they can't charge for service or sell new ones...
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 02:06 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
If they make cars that don't break down, they can't charge for service or sell new ones...
Toyota, Honda and Lexus doesn't seem to have problems selling cars that are the most reliable. People mostly buy new cars now because they get bored of them. My friend has a Nissan Altima with over 300,000 miles and it runs great. All Fords need to do the same. Then people will buy a Ford because they know they can keep it forever just the way they do the Jap cars.
Old 7/16/18, 03:22 PM   #30  
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015GT350 View Post
Toyota, Honda and Lexus doesn't seem to have problems selling cars that are the most reliable. People mostly buy new cars now because they get bored of them. My friend has a Nissan Altima with over 300,000 miles and it runs great. All Fords need to do the same. Then people will buy a Ford because they know they can keep it forever just the way they do the Jap cars.
Yeah, it COULD be like that, but now it's Build American & Buy American & prices on imports are going to cause US auto prices to rise, along with wages & everything else, leading to a depression that's around the corner...
Old 7/16/18, 04:15 PM   #31  
Shelby GT350 Member

A lot of "imports" are built in the US, and some "domestics" are built elsewhere (Mexico and Canada). It makes me wonder if/how the tariffs will impact those cars.
Old 7/16/18, 04:25 PM   #32  
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreH
A lot of "imports" are built in the US, and some "domestics" are built elsewhere (Mexico and Canada). It makes me wonder if/how the tariffs will impact those cars.
money for hondas built in america still go to japan;
Euro cars are going up 20%

lots of US cars are built in Canada, but i dunno what's going to happen there

plus the unions will get involved, etc...

...if imports go up (because Trump,)
domestics will go up in price, plus wages, costs of everything else, layoffs, unemployment....
it's common sense, which the President doesn't seem to have...
making things in America IS great, but that's not necessarily going
to make America "great"
...it's going to be very very b a d
Old 7/16/18, 05:24 PM   #33  
Shelby GT350 Member

We can agree to disagree. Yes, profits go out of country for a foreign car built in the US, but the salaries to build the cars feeds families here. If domestics raise their prices it is simply out of greed. A domestic car should cost less than a similar import, but that is rarely the case.
Old 7/16/18, 07:25 PM   #34  
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreH
We can agree to disagree. Yes, profits go out of country for a foreign car built in the US, but the salaries to build the cars feeds families here. If domestics raise their prices it is simply out of greed. A domestic car should cost less than a similar import, but that is rarely the case.
Imports have to raise their prices because of Trumps tariffs, which will cause the unions to raise wages for all automakers, which will raise prices for vehicles, then minimum wages, causing employers to cut hours, & everything else goes up, right?

Now, they are calling the retaliatory tariffs unfair to America (ie. bullies can't stand being bullied...)

...this is all pretty basic stuff, if you think about it
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #35  
Shelby GT350 Member

Quote:
Imports have to raise their prices because of Trumps tariffs, which will cause the unions to raise wages for all automakers, which will raise prices for vehicles, then minimum wages, causing employers to cut hours, & everything else goes up, right?

Now, they are calling the retaliatory tariffs unfair to America (ie. bullies can't stand being bullied...)

Sounds like greedy unions to me.
Old Today, 04:13 AM   #36  

Quote:

Plus explain why the Unions will raise wages, I'm confused.
SVOGT302 is offline   Reply With Quote