Ford to stop making cars! - Page 2 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Notices
Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford to stop making cars!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 7/9/18, 08:23 AM
  #21  
Member
 
2015GT350's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are going to come out with hybrids and diesels. I think in 2020 you will see a hybrid Ford Explorer. I have friends who work at Ford dealerships. They have shown me the daily sales reports. I would see a list of their cars sold. Maybe they would sell 1 or 2 Fusions and the rest of the day they sold 10 to 12 trucks and SUV's. People don't want cars anymore. Or not enough of them do. Ford has huge inventories of cars sitting on lots that isn't moving. I can't say I blame them for discontinuing the sales. People seem to either want a fast and fun car, a.k.a. the Mustang, or they want something with utility to carry stuff, i.e. F-150, Explorer, Escape, etc. Plus now that they have the new Ecosport, there's no real need to have a Focus or Fiesta. An Ecosport is just like having one of those cars, but much more comfortable to get in and out of and has more utility.
2015GT350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 08:32 AM
  #22  
GTR Member
 
Gabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 7, 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 4,887
Thanked 329 Times in 287 Posts
And yet Toyota and Honda keep selling ~400,000 Accords and Camrys every year.

Make a car that people like, people will buy it.

Make a rental car, and only rental companies will buy it.

The Taurus is overweight and small on the inside for the size of the car.
The Fusion has lost its appeal with the current design, it looks blah. And the Sport model has 325hp but it's boring on the inside and out, and certainly doesn't look very sporty.
The Focus and Fiesta have been plagues by transmission issues with the automatic tranny. That dual-clutch unit has been horrible every year they've offered it.
The pre-2012 Focus was a better-driving car. I had a 2010 and have driven a 2015. I hated the '15.

Ford's given up on the minivan after they couldn't make one that people would buy, now they're doing the same thing with sedans.

Meanwhile, Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai and others are selling every one they can build.
Gabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 10:14 AM
  #23  
Member
 
2015GT350's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
And yet Toyota and Honda keep selling ~400,000 Accords and Camrys every year.

Make a car that people like, people will buy it.

Make a rental car, and only rental companies will buy it.

The Taurus is overweight and small on the inside for the size of the car.
The Fusion has lost its appeal with the current design, it looks blah. And the Sport model has 325hp but it's boring on the inside and out, and certainly doesn't look very sporty.
The Focus and Fiesta have been plagues by transmission issues with the automatic tranny. That dual-clutch unit has been horrible every year they've offered it.
The pre-2012 Focus was a better-driving car. I had a 2010 and have driven a 2015. I hated the '15.

Ford's given up on the minivan after they couldn't make one that people would buy, now they're doing the same thing with sedans.

Meanwhile, Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Hyundai and others are selling every one they can build.
You speak a lot of sad truth, sir. I cannot argue with anything you've said. You pretty much nailed it. If I know this, and you know this, and everyone else knows this... WHY DOESN'T FORD KNOW THIS?! Why don't they hire some designers from BMW?
2015GT350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 10:20 AM
  #24  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 236 Times in 212 Posts
Gabe hit the nail on the head. This reminds me of the big three American automakers wanting tariffs on the Japanese cars back in the 1980's because American cars weren't selling. They wanted to essentially make the imports unaffordable. Build what the consumer wants and they will buy it.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 11:58 AM
  #25  
Member
 
2015GT350's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpectreH View Post
Gabe hit the nail on the head. This reminds me of the big three American automakers wanting tariffs on the Japanese cars back in the 1980's because American cars weren't selling. They wanted to essentially make the imports unaffordable. Build what the consumer wants and they will buy it.
If they were smart, they would buy those imported cars, tear them apart to see how they are made and copy them. They should do the same thing China/Japan has done to us for decades. Make cars that run well and rarely break down. Then nobody will have a reason to buy an imported car because the American cars should be superior.
2015GT350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/9/18, 05:50 PM
  #26  
GTR Member
 
Mustang Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 6, 2012
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 6,457
Thanks: 0
Thanked 291 Times in 266 Posts
I tried to like the Accord and Camry but I just couldn't so I went with an Explorer and never looked back.

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 7/9/18 at 06:12 PM.
Mustang Freak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/10/18, 12:30 PM
  #27  
Member
 
2015GT350's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak View Post
I tried to like the Accord and Camry but I just couldn't so I went with an Explorer and never looked back.
You are a smart man. The Explorer is 10x more comfortable than an Accord or Camry. My sister has a new Camry. She told me 3 days ago that she's dying to get rid of it. It's too small. Not good for road trips when you have a car full of people and luggage. Sedans leave you so cramped. The Explorer is nice if you get the smart and safe package with SYNC 3 Connect. I also have an Explorer for my other vehicle. I love the built-in hotspot. $20/mo for unlimited WiFi. I have passengers that ride with us from outside the country and it allows them to at least have WiFi to use to keep in touch on Facebook and WhatsApp.
2015GT350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/10/18, 04:09 PM
  #28  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015GT350
If they were smart, they would buy those imported cars, tear them apart to see how they are made and copy them. They should do the same thing China/Japan has done to us for decades. Make cars that run well and rarely break down. Then nobody will have a reason to buy an imported car because the American cars should be superior.
If they make cars that don't break down, they can't charge for service or sell new ones...
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 03:06 PM
  #29  
Member
 
2015GT350's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
If they make cars that don't break down, they can't charge for service or sell new ones...
Toyota, Honda and Lexus doesn't seem to have problems selling cars that are the most reliable. People mostly buy new cars now because they get bored of them. My friend has a Nissan Altima with over 300,000 miles and it runs great. All Fords need to do the same. Then people will buy a Ford because they know they can keep it forever just the way they do the Jap cars.
2015GT350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 04:22 PM
  #30  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015GT350 View Post
Toyota, Honda and Lexus doesn't seem to have problems selling cars that are the most reliable. People mostly buy new cars now because they get bored of them. My friend has a Nissan Altima with over 300,000 miles and it runs great. All Fords need to do the same. Then people will buy a Ford because they know they can keep it forever just the way they do the Jap cars.
Yeah, it COULD be like that, but now it's Build American & Buy American & prices on imports are going to cause US auto prices to rise, along with wages & everything else, leading to a depression that's around the corner...
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 05:15 PM
  #31  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 236 Times in 212 Posts
A lot of "imports" are built in the US, and some "domestics" are built elsewhere (Mexico and Canada). It makes me wonder if/how the tariffs will impact those cars.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 05:25 PM
  #32  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
A lot of "imports" are built in the US, and some "domestics" are built elsewhere (Mexico and Canada). It makes me wonder if/how the tariffs will impact those cars.
money for hondas built in america still go to japan;
Euro cars are going up 20%

lots of US cars are built in Canada, but i dunno what's going to happen there

plus the unions will get involved, etc...

...if imports go up (because Trump,)
domestics will go up in price, plus wages, costs of everything else, layoffs, unemployment....
it's common sense, which the President doesn't seem to have...
making things in America IS great, but that's not necessarily going
to make America "great"
...it's going to be very very b a d
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 06:24 PM
  #33  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 236 Times in 212 Posts
We can agree to disagree. Yes, profits go out of country for a foreign car built in the US, but the salaries to build the cars feeds families here. If domestics raise their prices it is simply out of greed. A domestic car should cost less than a similar import, but that is rarely the case.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/16/18, 08:25 PM
  #34  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
We can agree to disagree. Yes, profits go out of country for a foreign car built in the US, but the salaries to build the cars feeds families here. If domestics raise their prices it is simply out of greed. A domestic car should cost less than a similar import, but that is rarely the case.
Imports have to raise their prices because of Trumps tariffs, which will cause the unions to raise wages for all automakers, which will raise prices for vehicles, then minimum wages, causing employers to cut hours, & everything else goes up, right?

Now, they are calling the retaliatory tariffs unfair to America (ie. bullies can't stand being bullied...)

...this is all pretty basic stuff, if you think about it
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/17/18, 07:11 AM
  #35  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 236 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
Imports have to raise their prices because of Trumps tariffs, which will cause the unions to raise wages for all automakers, which will raise prices for vehicles, then minimum wages, causing employers to cut hours, & everything else goes up, right?

Now, they are calling the retaliatory tariffs unfair to America (ie. bullies can't stand being bullied...)

...this is all pretty basic stuff, if you think about it
Sounds like greedy unions to me.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/18, 05:13 AM
  #36  
Member
 
SVOGT302's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 30, 2011
Location: Parsippany
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
Imports have to raise their prices because of Trumps tariffs, which will cause the unions to raise wages for all automakers, which will raise prices for vehicles, then minimum wages, causing employers to cut hours, & everything else goes up, right?

Now, they are calling the retaliatory tariffs unfair to America (ie. bullies can't stand being bullied...)

...this is all pretty basic stuff, if you think about it
Plus explain why the Unions will raise wages, I'm confused.
SVOGT302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/18, 04:34 PM
  #37  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
Sounds like greedy unions to me.
No, Trump is raising tariffs on non-US products (ie. most of the auto components of US vehicles are made by Magna in Canada, backup cameras, sunroofs, rechargeable batteries, drivetrains, etc etc...)
plus airbags made in China;
US vehicles made in Mexico;
EVERYTHING made in Asia:
cellphones, electronics....
those are all going to jump in cost because it will cost more to make them in America now thanks to Trump the stupid, greedy idiot

basically every new vehicle in the world will go up in price because of Trump,
leading the higher wages,
higher US minimum wages...
inflation, depression, unemployment, etc etc
because Trump is a moron, & people think this will "Make America Great"

Do you think making cellphones & tv's in America instead of China
clothes in America instead of Indonesia (or wherever,) are going to lower prices & help America?
uhh no.


...look at all the pollution in China
thats what will America will be when industries are forced to move to America
plus Republicans hate the environment unless they can make money from selling parks for drilling
& attacking Iraq for oil
so yeahhh

Last edited by Gravydog316; 7/18/18 at 04:39 PM.
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/19/18, 06:55 AM
  #38  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,266
Thanked 236 Times in 212 Posts
The tariffs go away if the other country drops theirs. It really is that simple. The American consumer sold out this country decades ago by buying cheap Chinese crap instead of American made. Made in America helps America by creating more jobs here. But, we all want the cheapest possible price, and it is hard to compete with a foreign sweatshop.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/19/18, 04:42 PM
  #39  
GTR Member
 
Gabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 7, 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 4,887
Thanked 329 Times in 287 Posts
The tariffs won't go away "if the other country drops theirs".
I'm finding myself somewhat conflicted here cuz I find myself agreeing with just about everything the Gravy chick is saying, and I keep wondering why Trump's suporters won't take their blinders off and see what's really happening.
The "tax cut" is only gonna end up costing you next year when you pay more taxes on the extra money you made all year.
He's selling out the country to Putin and he's making money hand over fist on all the deals his companies are striking with other countries and companies.
He STILL hasn't showed his taxes, he's "donating" his salary but that's only a move to show his supporters what a nice guy he is, meanwhile he's making so much more money on the "back end" that his salary is a drop in the bucket compared to that.
And no, he's not a great business man.
He's been bankrupt several times. That doesn't make a great business man.
Gabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/20/18, 02:32 PM
  #40  
Cobra Member
Thread Starter
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 227 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
The tariffs go away if the other country drops theirs. It really is that simple. The American consumer sold out this country decades ago by buying cheap Chinese crap instead of American made. Made in America helps America by creating more jobs here. But, we all want the cheapest possible price, and it is hard to compete with a foreign sweatshop.
We had Free Trade & NAFTA.
Trump scrapped it & issued tariffs;
Making products in America instead of, say China, will raise the prices, because Americans won't work for $1/hour, or whatever foreigners are paid now;
Trump won't allow aliens in to do this work;

are you going to be first in line to assemble my next iPhone or my shoes or clothes to Make America Great?
I doubt it.
Plus, do you want a plastics factory in your town, or a steel mill in your neighbourhood?
I doubt it.

What did you think of Trump before he got into politics?
Did you call him a great American patriot?
or a greedy real estate developer?
Did you watch The Apprentice?
Did you call him a great leader?
Gravydog316 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford to stop making cars!


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.