The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Ford RWD sedan could be ready by 2008... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/ford-rwd-sedan-could-ready-2008-a-437465/)

GT40 2 7/14/06 03:16 PM

Ford RWD sedan could be ready by 2008...

In March, we told you about a Newsweek report that indicated Ford was working on a retro-styled rear-wheel-drive sedan to compete with the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. The automaker later confirmed its development team in Australia was working on a new RWD platform for its Falcon and Territory models, as well as other future vehicles. In a conversation this week with Drive.com.au, Ford Australia boss Tom Gorman said a new sedan to replace the Fairlane and LTD models could be released alongside the the next-generation Falcon some time in 2008. The new model is said to have a shorter wheelbase than the Fairlane and LTD. It would be based on the Falcon, but be slightly more luxurious. The vehicle could come to the United Sates, too, he said. "We want to be an exporter […] I think that now is a very good time for us to do that. […] And it's at a time where the US is looking and where it's going with its large rear wheel drive platform."

Gorman said the Ford Australia could export 15,000 to 30,000 vehicles per year — "not 100,000." It's unclear how well a rear-whee-drive sedan would sell in America, but that limited capacity would present an interesting problem if demand was strong.

While a specific timeframe has not been given, Gorman admitted developments were coming in the near future.

"Given the challenges being faced in the US it's a great time to bring our resources and technologies even closer so we can really leverage – so that two and two is five, instead of both of us going off and doing separate vehicles," said Gorman.

"The next year or so is going to be very exciting."

hi5.0 7/14/06 07:09 PM

Ford could use a new RWD sedan chassis - as long as it doesn't turn out to be another Monaro/GTO debacle. Sounds like a good idea given the impending end of the Panther platform. However, the limited availability of the chassis for U.S. exports doesn't bode well.

Maverstang 7/16/06 01:02 PM

It would depend on what market segment the new RWD car is going after.

If it is only for a niche retro market then they could import low volumes from Australia.

If it is targeting a high volume market, perhaps including the north american police market, then it would probably get put in a north american factory, perhaps St Thomas in Canada where all the Panthers are produced now.

I suspect the big dilemma is what to do with the police market. Build a new RWD car for that market, push them over to the poor selling 500 or give it up to Chrysler and GM. Chevrolet is having some success with Impala police cars, so an FWD 500 police version would not be out of the question.

burningman 7/19/06 01:38 PM

Ford just bring the bloody Falcon over here already

05fordgt 7/19/06 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by burningman
Ford just bring the bloody Falcon over here already

Doug, you and me both (along with a bunch more people I'm sure) are wishing that Ford could do this. But in their defense, it would cost too much to re-engineer the car to become a left hand drive car. Hopefully we'll get the next gen model.

SyNRG 7/19/06 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Doug, you and me both (along with a bunch more people I'm sure) are wishing that Ford could do this. But in their defense, it would cost too much to re-engineer the car to become a left hand drive car. Hopefully we'll get the next gen model.

what about building a RWD sedan off of the S197 platform, wouldn't this be more feasible? :dunno:

Knight Rider 7/19/06 03:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
UH I don't know

TomServo92 7/19/06 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
UH I don't know

I assume you're joking. If not, why do you think a 4 door built off the S197 platform would look exactly like a 4 door Mustang? :dunno:

Rapture 7/19/06 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by TomServo92
I assume you're joking. If not, why do you think a 4 door built off the S197 platform would look exactly like a 4 door Mustang? :dunno:

I belive the LS. T-bird and a Jag sedan all use the S197 platform.

Zastava_101 7/19/06 10:25 PM

This would be cool.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/im...b_427_lead.jpg

TomServo92 7/20/06 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rapture
I belive the LS. T-bird and a Jag sedan all use the S197 platform.

No, they don't. They use the DEW98 platform.

SyNRG 7/20/06 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star

i would give both my kidneys if Ford brought the 427 concept to reality....

Moosetang 7/20/06 12:44 PM

I'd have to agree. The 427 would bend the 300 over a chair.:bat:

future9er24 7/25/06 12:01 AM

if only Ford had the insight to actually... you know... build the uber cool concept cars they have?

but ohhh nooo, thats too rational lol.

man i want that car

Cheese302 7/25/06 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt

just bring it over RHD. i would buy one in an instant.

Hollywood_North GT 7/29/06 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Star

And what they should have done to begin with, rather than give us the "Japanese wannabe" 500. What a terrific LTD that car would have made.

Knight Rider 7/29/06 09:33 PM

The five hundred is not a japanese wannabe, sure its very conservative, but its no japanese car

Hollywood_North GT 7/30/06 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
The five hundred is not a japanese wannabe, sure its very conservative, but its no japanese car

Yes it is. Actually, it's a complete hodge-podge of Euro and Jap styling cues that has been rendered totally anonymous as a result.

Not offensive or anything, just completely forgettable. That 427 concept badged as a modern day LTD would have done as well as the Chrysler 300C, IMHO.

Hey, Ford, how bout trying some BOLD MOVES for a change? :jester:

AnotherMustangMan 7/30/06 09:10 AM

I would say its closer to German (last generation Passat to be specific) than anything else. But yeah, I'm with on you the modern day LTD. Not that I'm old enough to remember an olden day LTD.

irishfan 8/2/06 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
I would say its closer to German (last generation Passat to be specific) than anything else. But yeah, I'm with on you the modern day LTD. Not that I'm old enough to remember an olden day LTD.

Didn't Mays come from VW/Audi? I remember reading that you could see that influence in the 500 (and/or Fusion).