Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford posts best third quarter ever

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/12, 09:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Lol. Probably. I also work with a girl that couldn't resist when she saw the optima. So far she loves the car. White limited with the glass roof. It's a fine car.
Yup. Good looking car. I'd actually buy one if I needed one. Maybe someday for the oldest for college. Who knows? My guess is they will only get better. Problem is they will become more expensive the better they get.

Is it made here?
Old 10/30/12, 10:27 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Well, if you really wanna my opinion, I know Ford's history pretty well and Ford never really had a successful global car. Well, maybe Model T was ...

Anyway, Ford Europe continues to lose money month after month with One Ford vehicles and Ford USA is still making 1/3 of it profits on the F-Series - not on global One Ford vehicles (Fiesta, Focus, Transit Connect ...).

Just my .02.
Ford consolidating their design and engineering resources, vehicle platforms, etc, under "One Ford," is an excellent idea regardless of how you look at it. Because of the financial crisis currently crushing European economies, it's hard to gauge how successful "One Ford" can be in that region. It seems to be working well here in the US, though, in terms of technology and new model design and production expediency, in my opinion. And this is just the beginning...

Last edited by MARZ; 10/30/12 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10/31/12, 01:46 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I haven't read Consumer Reports complaints but I can't imagine that I 'just got lucky' with that many trouble free experiences with Ford. That's why I keep coming back and so I am a source of recurring profit for Ford because of their producing consistent quality over a 30+ year period.
IIRC, most of Ford's quality troubles stem from MyTouch - its played hell with initial quality and reliability ratings lately.
Old 10/31/12, 07:38 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by MARZ
Ford consolidating their design and engineering resources, vehicle platforms, etc, under "One Ford," is an excellent idea regardless of how you look at it. Because of the financial crisis currently crushing European economies, it's hard to gauge how successful "One Ford" can be in that region. It seems to be working well here in the US, though, in terms of technology and new model design and production expediency, in my opinion. And this is just the beginning...
We'll see how excellent idea it was over the long run.
So far, Ford still makes majority of the $$$ in the USA thanks to the larger USA-specific vehicles, such as F-Series, Explorer, Edge and Escape (the new One-Ford Escape just went out on the sale).
I understand that there is currently a crisis in Europe, but that's not stopping VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes ... to continue to make profits.

I don't mind of One-Ford sharing each and every mechanical part, but they should not look the same for both continents because those buyers are very different. IMO, with a 2013 Fusion, Ford should've done what he has done with the previous Fusion. Shared platform (in previous Fusion's case it was with Mazda), but unique American design. It worked really well since Ford sold ~250,000 of them last year.

And I personally love the looks of the 2010-2012 Fusion.

Name:  autowpru_ford_fusion_sport_2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  140.8 KB
Old 10/31/12, 10:03 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I wonder how Ford will do now that they've shut down the Genk(sp?) plant? I can't remeber the exact numbers (1.2 billion euro to shut it down and do buyouts for the workers but they will save 730 million euro a year as I recall).
Old 10/31/12, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob

IIRC, most of Ford's quality troubles stem from MyTouch - its played hell with initial quality and reliability ratings lately.
That's true.

And my dad has it. It's a good system but slow and buggy.

That's Microsoft for ya.
Old 10/31/12, 05:07 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
most of the problems people were reporting with the MyTouch was simply because they didn't know what they were doing. There were a few glitches that were worked out, but it's a hell of a lot more due to driver error than computer error.
Old 10/31/12, 05:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
most of the problems people were reporting with the MyTouch was simply because they didn't know what they were doing. There were a few glitches that were worked out, but it's a hell of a lot more due to driver error than computer error.
I'd have to disagree as someone who uses it multiple times a week.

Many glitches an sometimes it downright doesn't work. Parts of the screen disappear and can't get them back without disconnecting the battery.
Old 10/31/12, 05:31 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
i wish theyd have kept ms out of it!
Old 10/31/12, 05:35 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish theyd have kept ms out of it!
Agreed.

Google might be the best choice for that purpose now...
Old 10/31/12, 05:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Agreed.

Google might be the best choice for that purpose now...

But they'll sell your driving habits and gps to the po po!
Old 10/31/12, 05:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

But they'll sell your driving habits and gps to the po po!
Haha that might actually be true. Oh well
Old 10/31/12, 05:40 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Microsoft sucks *****!
Old 10/31/12, 05:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Microsoft sucks *****!
Its bad enough there is any kind of software controlling the ECU...

but to voluntarily invite Bill Gates into your car and play MyTouch???

RUN BILLY RAY, RUN!!!
Old 10/31/12, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Ill take apple please
Old 10/31/12, 05:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Ill take apple please
I didn't even suggest them because I think they'd be too controlling to 'partner' with an auto company. Buy if they did it'd be great
Old 10/31/12, 06:09 PM
Post *****

Ill take apple please
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I didn't even suggest them because I think they'd be too controlling to 'partner' with an auto company.
Definitely! Just ask the Beatles!

Old 10/31/12, 06:29 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

We'll see how excellent idea it was over the long run.
Of course.

So far, Ford still makes majority of the $$$ in the USA thanks to the larger USA-specific vehicles, such as F-Series, Explorer, Edge and Escape (the new One-Ford Escape just went out on the sale).
I understand that there is currently a crisis in Europe, but that's not stopping VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes ... to continue to make profits.
It's funny you chose to mention those premium brands. They're almost the only ones making money in Europe...

"Although mass-market brands bore the brunt of the declines, with Renault falling by more than 30% and Fiat tumbling by 15%, premium vehicles were also affected. According to the ACEA, Jaguar sales in the EU fell 10% year-on-year, Lexus declined by 13% and Mini fell by the same amount. Mercedes declined by 6.4% although other German premium brands fared better, with BMW rising by 10.5% and Audi managing growth of 1.4%."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-registrations

...and who knows how long those premium brands will continue to remain profitable in the European market.

Europe monthly car sales fall at fastest pace in a year

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8LG1QP20121016

If there's one bright spot in Europe for Ford, it's England. They're doing pretty well in that country this year.

FORD EXTENDS UK MARKET LEAD IN IMPORTANT SEPTEMBER SALES MONTH

http://media.ford.com/news/fordexten...salesmonth.htm

I don't mind of One-Ford sharing each and every mechanical part, but they should not look the same for both continents because those buyers are very different. IMO, with a 2013 Fusion, Ford should've done what he has done with the previous Fusion. Shared platform (in previous Fusion's case it was with Mazda), but unique American design. It worked really well since Ford sold ~250,000 of them last year.
It's still way too early to tell whether the new Fusion, using the example you cited above, will resonate globally in terms of sales. The "One Ford" Escape has been out longer and, at least initially, seems to be doing pretty well here in the United States.

August Compact Crossover Sales: Ford Escape Takes Huge Lead Over Honda CR-V

"With 28,188 Escapes sold in August, year-to-date sales jumped to 176,927. Although the CR-V also saw significantly increased August sales it wasn’t enough to regain first place. With only four months left in 2012, the Escape could unseat the CR-V as the king of compact crossovers."

http://wot.motortrend.com/august-com...#ixzz2AvPUVP5L

"The boxy old Escape was a big seller for Ford, so starting over was a risk. The new version hit showrooms in June and sales that month jumped 28% from a year ago, according to Autodata."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ape/56753218/1

Let's just hope the Escape won't face any further recalls...
Old 10/31/12, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd have to disagree as someone who uses it multiple times a week.

Many glitches an sometimes it downright doesn't work. Parts of the screen disappear and can't get them back without disconnecting the battery.
MFT works perfect in our two vehicles and has since we've had them.
Old 10/31/12, 09:14 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

This was my perception based on what I've read, unfortunately americans tend to trend toward the luddite end of the spectrum, if it isn't one button intuitive we get frustrated with it and percieve it as being poorly designed or implemented.

Heh, this reminds me of the time my dear ol' departed dad was using a word processor, he was throwing a fit and used some 40 years worth of pejorative phrases that could have only been learned by being in the merchant marines and US army.

The source of his frustration, a letter to his congressman, were the word processors red and green lines indicated bad grammar and spelling.

I couldn't help but laugh, which only made things worse.

Quick Reply: Ford posts best third quarter ever