Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford names Capito head of global performance team

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/10, 07:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford names Capito head of global performance team

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-nam...ance-team.html

As part of Mulally’s plan to create a single cohesive company under the Ford brand, Ford has named Jost Capito as director of global performance vehicles and motor sports business development for Ford. Prior to the new title, Capito was the director of Ford Team RS, which functions as the performance division for Europe – much like SVT in the United States.

Prior to joining Ford Motor Company, Capito CEO for the Sauber Formula One team, and before that Capito spent many years in competitive racing as a driver and rider. Capito grew up racing endurance bikes and competing in motorcross, and eventually went on to win the truck category in the Paris-Dakar Rally across the Dahara Desert in 1985.

Capito joined Ford in 2001 as director of the Special Vehicle Engineering team, and since moved to work as the director of Team RS and was one of the individuals that was instrumental in the development of the European Ford Focus RS. Capito will now be based out of Dearborn, Michigan, and will travel to Europe on a regular basis along with other members of the global team.

Capito joked about the impending travel plans for Ford’s performance team members, “There’s going to be a lot of platinum fliers.”

Capito’s joke is referring to the major changes that will be occurring in the way that Ford’s two performance divisions, SVT and RS, operate in the future. Ford will be switching to a more centralized approach to development and testing, and as part of the change Ford will be developing a common set of performance goals, testing parameters and shared technology.
Old 2/10/10, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds good to me. Will this mean more performance models here in the US with SVT and RS sharing budgets and research. SVT/RS focus, mustang, new ranger, fusion, edge maybe?
Old 2/10/10, 10:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Sounds good to me. Will this mean more performance models here in the US with SVT and RS sharing budgets and research. SVT/RS focus, mustang, new ranger, fusion, edge maybe?
I don't mean to say "don't get your hopes up" but I do want to caution against huge expectations. This is a One Ford initiative, so it's going to focus on global cars at least initially. SVT's work on GT-500 will remain, and Raptor will probably stick around for awhile, but I wouldn't expect Ranger, Fusion, or Edge to get SVT/RS models until they've gone Global.
Old 2/19/10, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford aims to align global performance vehicles

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/66240...les/index.html
Old 2/19/10, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good to me, perhaps we'll get some of those hot Euro models (cars that is) now, like the Focus RS. Perhaps, too, a bit of European (and Australian) handling sophistication will infuse the U.S. products (and a bit of American drivetrain muscle over to Europe (Aussies already got that covered) to make things fair.).
Old 2/19/10, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Merging threads . . .