The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Ford D2C platform (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/ford-d2c-platform-414404/)

Autotooner 7/20/05 04:03 PM

I don't know how many already knew this info... but I found it kinda interesting...

Ford D2C platform
From Wikipedia
The D2C (also known as DC2 and S197) is Ford's newest global rear wheel drive automobile platform. It was designed by Ford with Mazda's C1 platform technology and débuted in the 2005 Ford Mustang. The platform basics are a MacPherson strut suspension in front and 3-link solid axle in the rear with a Panhard rod. The Mustang Cobra will have a fully-independent suspension in the rear. Engines include a 4.0 L V6 and Ford's Modular 4.6 L V8. The Ford Motor Company (often referred to simply as Ford; sometimes nicknamed Fords or FoMoCo, (NYSE: F) is an automobile maker founded by Henry Ford in Detroit, Michigan, and incorporated on June 16, 1903. ... Rear wheel drive was a common form of engine/transmission layout used in automobiles throughout the 20th century. ... An automobile platform is a shared set of components common to a number of different automobiles. ... Mazda Millenia luxury sedan. ... The C1 (or Volvo P1) is Fords global compact car automobile platform. ... The Ford Mustang is a popular sports car. ... A simple MacPherson strut suspension on the left front wheel of a rear-wheel drive vehicle. ... Solid axle and Panhard rod on a 2002 Mazda MPV A live-axle (also called solid-axle, beam, or dead-axle) suspension is an automobile suspension that uses a single-piece axle to connect the front or rear wheels, side-to-side. ... A Panhard rod is a component of a car suspension system that provides lateral location of the axle. ... An Independent Suspension is an automobile suspension system that allows the wheels on an axle to move independent of each other. ... The Ford Essex V6 engine A V6 is an internal combustion piston engine with six cylinders in a V configuration. ... 32-valve supercharged Modular V8 from a 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra The Modular engine, or MOD, is Ford Motor Companys modern V8 and V10 engine family. ...

Contrary to many news reports, this platform is not based on the Ford DEW platform. The Mustang was to have used a "Lite" version of the DEW98, but that plan was scrapped as too expensive. The differences are most noticeable in the suspension: The DEW uses a 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. The D2C's high-mounted MacPherson struts and lower wishbones are identical to the front-drive C1, and even in the rear the trailing arm is carried over from the C1. DEW (or DEW98) is Ford Motor Companys mid-size rear wheel drive automobile platform. ... The front suspension components of a Ford Model T. Suspension is the term given to the system of shock absorbers and linkages which connect a vehicle to its wheels. ... A double wishbone suspension is an automobile independent suspension design using two parallel wishbone-shaped arms to locate the wheel. ... A trailing-arm suspension is an automobile suspension design in which one or more arms (or links) are connected between (and perpendicular to) the axle and the chassis. ...

Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

2005 Ford Mustang
Future models include the following: The Ford Motor Company (often referred to simply as Ford; sometimes nicknamed Fords or FoMoCo, (NYSE: F) is an automobile maker founded by Henry Ford in Detroit, Michigan, and incorporated on June 16, 1903. ... The Ford Mustang is a popular sports car. ...

Lincoln LS replacement ("Continental"?)
Ford Thunderbird (2+2)
Mercury sports car (automatic transmission/V8 "Cougar" or "Capri")

D2C

Autotooner 7/20/05 08:51 PM

has anyone else read this?

scottie1113 7/20/05 10:08 PM

I wouldn't bet on IRS in the Cobra, but it no longer matters much to me because it seems like the folks at Ford got it right on the current platform.

Autotooner 7/20/05 10:19 PM

what interested me was the section about the future users of this platform..

jgsmuzzy 7/21/05 01:44 AM

Cougar? :hmm: could be good!

Tiberius1701 7/21/05 05:22 AM

Shared platform with Mazda? ....I think not. As we all know it is a derivative of the LS-Thunderbird platform.

kevinspann 7/21/05 08:30 AM

It seems a little disjointed, like they taught monkeys to copy and paste stuff from press releases, and old facts

TomServo92 7/21/05 08:58 AM

Way back in February, jsaylor and I had a discussion on this forum about the origins of the D2C platform. I found that very same article and posted it. After a lengthy (and sometimes heated) discussion, we arrived at the conclusion that this particular article was incorrect. D2C is a new platform that problably borrows from various other platforms including both the Mazda C1 and the DEW (Lincoln LS) but isn't a direct derivative of any one of them.