The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Ford Crown Victoria Police Vehicle Goes Green (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/ford-crown-victoria-police-vehicle-goes-green-449757/)

Scothew 3/30/07 08:07 AM

Ford Crown Victoria Police Vehicle Goes Green

4 Attachment(s)
FORD CROWN VICTORIA POLICE VEHICLE GOES GREEN

DEARBORN, Mich., March 29, 2007 – Ford Motor Company announced today its new 2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor will be offered as a flexible fuel vehicle allowing it to operate on E85 ethanol or gasoline.

Ford is the largest producer and seller of police vehicles with more than 80 percent of the market. As police and government agencies move toward becoming more environmentally conscious and seek alternative fuel vehicles for their fleets, Ford is in the position to fill this need for its police customers.

"The ability to offer an E85 capable vehicle to our police customers is significant," said Gerald Koss, Ford's fleet marketing manager. "Many municipalities and states across the country are encouraging, if not mandating, that their police and other government fleet vehicles begin using alternative sources of fuel. We can now help our police fleet customers achieve this goal."

Government agencies that include FFV Police Interceptors on their annual Department of Energy plan can receive credits toward EPACT mandates, increasing their flexibility in vehicle fleet selection and purchases. Fleets can place orders immediately for the E85-powered CVPI, with vehicle production slated to begin in May.

Ford also announced today that it has achieved 50-state certification for all of the Ford and Mercury 2008 flexible fuel passenger car models. Ford's current lineup of FFVs includes the Ford F-150, Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.

Achieving 50-state certification means Ford's flexible fuel vehicles meet both emissions rules set by the Federal government, as well as California. The evaporative standards in California create some unique challenges for FFVs. By certifying to both standards, automakers can sell their vehicles nationwide and reduce complexity.

In an effort to differentiate its flexible fuel vehicles from standard gasoline vehicles, Ford will begin equipping the E-85 capable vehicles with yellow gas caps, beginning later this year

"Ethanol is one way in which we can help lessen America's dependence on foreign oil," said Koss. "In addition to our flexible fuel vehicles, fleets looking to go green can also choose from two hybrid models, the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner, as well as a number of Ford PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicles) models."

Ford has placed more than two million flexible fuel vehicles on the road, and has pledged to make half of its production capable of running on alternative fuels by 2012, provided the necessary fuel and infrastructure are in place.

Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles in 200 markets across six continents. With more than 280,000 employees and more than 100 plants worldwide, the company’s core and affiliated automotive brands include Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo and Mazda. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company.

Treadhead 4/1/07 12:39 AM

Now if they would just put an engine in them all would be well! By engine I mean something that will make it get up and go. The last pursuit I was involved in, we were chasing A Toyota Echo and it was all we could do to keep up. It's a shame and quite embarassing!:bad:

theedge67 4/1/07 12:45 AM

I'll second that! I lost out to an Escape several months back in city driving. Granted, it is easier to do when you don't have to slow down for any stop signs and have no regard for human life. Give me the 3V Mustang engine in the CVPI FORD!!! I mean, why not? It gets better mileage, better emissions, more hp, lighter weight...WHAT IS NOT BETTER????

Treadhead 4/4/07 12:26 AM

I've been waiting for the day they stick the 3v in there. If they can put it in an Explorer then they can put it in a CV.

Moosetang 4/4/07 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Treadhead (Post 882477)
I've been waiting for the day they stick the 3v in there. If they can put it in an Explorer then they can put it in a CV.

Well the CV and Explorer are both coming to the end of their cycles, so if it hasn't happened yet I wouldn't hold my breath. Hopefully the next-gen Explorer will make use of the 'Stang and BOSS engines, who knows what the future holds for the CV's segment.

Treadhead 4/4/07 01:21 AM

Yeah I know but, It's nice to have a dream.:jester:

Scothew 4/4/07 09:16 AM

I always wondered why they didnt mass produce the 4v like they put in teh maruaders. They were dang nice to drive and would have made excellent CVPI's.

theedge67 4/4/07 01:39 PM

I'm guessing price. Most governments are very reluctant to spend $1 more than they have to, even if it is a better product.

Moosetang 4/4/07 02:17 PM

Had they been smart the 4v would have been the base engine to begin with and the Marauder would have used the Terminator motor. But the CV and it's base engine were specced during the height of Ford's complacency and they've never had a chance to recover from making them frumpy, lethargic sedans. The solution is to kill the nameplate and revive the segment with the Interceptor.

As I've said, Ford's Mid-to-Large Sedan Lineup for the future should be:

Mondeo-Based Fusion
Next-gen Falcon-Based Taurus
Interceptor