The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Expedition Max, Navigator L (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/expedition-max-navigator-l-426849/)

mustang_sallad 12/12/05 10:43 AM

http://autosinsider.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../512120355/1148

So ya, this is interesting. Its definitely gonna get some people questioning Ford's environmental commitment, just like the excursion did in the first place. But it looks like they're going about this one in a smarter way. The name thing, first of all.... that's a good call not calling it the Everest... that's just begging for criticism from the people ford has been trying to impress. So branding this as just an extended version of an already existing truck, which it basically is, doesn't attract nearly as much attention. Its also a bit smaller. But to me, the really cool thing is what they say in this paragraph:

The company also plans little publicity for the new SUVs, at least in the traditional automotive press. However, both will be pitched hard to boating and horse magazines, as well as other media outlets geared to outdoor activities that require hefty towing capacity.
So that's really sweet! Finally, they're not trying to market this to readers of like Maxim and stuff like that. Aiming this car at people who actually need it, it just makes way too much sense. Though I'm sure it'll get picked up by quite a few people looking to make a fashion statement, especially the Navigator L, this should at least give ford some credit. This shows they're just building a truck which some people actually need. This way maybe you can't blame them as much for the thousands of people using this as a grocery getter.

TMSBrad 12/12/05 10:54 AM

If the American people are concerned about the environment, they won't buy these bohemoth SUVs.

If Americans are not concerned about the environment, why should Ford Motor Company be?

Supply and demand rules all in a capitalistic society--prohibition taught us that in the end, not even government can disrupt the fundamentals of economics.

1999 Black 35th GT 12/12/05 11:11 AM

I can't wait to see if there are any more engine options.

mustang_sallad 12/12/05 05:54 PM

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@December 12, 2005, 12:57 PM
If the American people are concerned about the environment, they won't buy these bohemoth SUVs.

If Americans are not concerned about the environment, why should Ford Motor Company be?

Supply and demand rules all in a capitalistic society--prohibition taught us that in the end, not even government can disrupt the fundamentals of economics.

That makes sense. People that want the thing will buy it, and people who care about the environment probably won't buy it unless they really need it. There are people on both sides of that fence. The only problem is that people who do care about the environment, who would buy a smaller car, might be turned off of the company as a whole if they see this thing as offensive, and go to another company for their small car. I think selling a behemoth like the Excursion probably had an effect on Ford's sales over all, because you have those people who see Ford as an evil company because of that one vehicle they happen to produce, despite the fact they're doing all these other things for the environment.

Basically i'm just saying i think its more complicated than just supply and demand.

I'm happy though... its like, Ford is doing what they have to do, getting into a market that would otherwise be dominated by a competitor. But at least they're trying to do it in such a way to please both sides of that fence... providing the product to those that want it, while trying to be subdued about it for the other people who they're trying to impress with their social responsibility.

Zastava_101 12/12/05 06:28 PM

I though the plan was to kill huge SUV (Excursion), not to replace it (Expedition Max).

TomServo92 12/12/05 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Red Star@December 12, 2005, 7:31 PM
I though the plan was to kill huge SUV (Excursion), not to replace it (Expedition Max).

Nope. I remember reading articles way back when they first announced the demise of the Excursion that there would be a stretched Expedition to replace it.

Zastava_101 12/12/05 07:19 PM

So instead of having 2 very different SUVs (Expedition and Excursion) they will have 2 almost-same SUVs (Expedition and Expedition Max)? Weird.

Evil_Capri 12/12/05 07:21 PM

Well, the Max should be lighter than the Excursion thus helping CAFE fuel economy while still offering room comparable to the Excursion.

Zastava_101 12/12/05 09:14 PM

I don't mind Expedition Max, I just didn't wanna see Excursion go. Along with Tahoe/Suburban and 1st generation Navigator, Excursion was my favorite SUV.

cobradude 12/13/05 10:39 PM

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@December 12, 2005, 1:14 PM
I can't wait to see if there are any more engine options.

My sources tell me that ford is developing a new 6 cylinder diesel engine that is smaller than the powerstroke to go into thier half-ton trucks/suv's (mabye cummins designed?) but it is supposed to get quite good fuel mileage, mid-high 20's highway
If ford would do this thier truck sales would go through the roof(even better than thier great sales right now) :nice:
excursion was my favorite SUV because it was the only SUV you could get with a diesel, and come on, if you have a full size truck/SUV what engine is the best?

bigred0383 12/14/05 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Red Star@December 12, 2005, 8:22 PM
So instead of having 2 very different SUVs (Expedition and Excursion) they will have 2 almost-same SUVs (Expedition and Expedition Max)? Weird.

Why is it wierd to have the same SUV in 2 sizes, instead of having 2 different SUVS? GM has been doing it that way, VERY successfully for decades.

The Expedition/Expedition EL will just be following the likes of Chevy's Tahoe/Suburban, GMC's Yukon/Yukon XL (wasn't so long ago that it was called a Suburban too) . Meanwhile the Navigator/Navigator L will go head to head with Cadillac's Escalade/Escalade ESV.

A lot of people always thought it should have been this way in the first place.

As far as the Excursion goes, my dad still has his, and I love it. It's the car I learned how to drive in/took to get my liscense. It's been invaluable for moving my siblings and I in and out of college.

mustang_sallad 12/14/05 04:45 PM

Yeah... I remember when i first read about the possibility of this Behemouth Ford SUV that would be EVEN BIGGER than a Suburban... that was in a Popular Science future vehicles forcast or something, probably back in 98 or something. I was pretty exciting back then, that was a bit before the SUV crazy got really out of hand though... At this point, while i recognize that some people actually need vehicles like that, i mostly just feel resentment towards the people that obliviously drive those things around as a fashion statement. The Excursion was never that big a fashion thing though, nothing like a hummer or an escalade.
I always thought the Excursion had some sweet style, i loved that it looked like the F-250 while the Expedition looked like the F-150. They just looked so muscular. But ya, i guess it was a bit much and it really caught ford a lot of bad publicity.

That's really good news about the 6 cyl diesel, Jordan. Do you have anything i can read about that?

GT40 2 12/14/05 09:15 PM

Originally posted by cobradude@December 13, 2005, 11:42 PM
My sources tell me that ford is developing a new 6 cylinder diesel engine that is smaller than the powerstroke to go into thier half-ton trucks/suv's (mabye cummins designed?) but it is supposed to get quite good fuel mileage, mid-high 20's highway
If ford would do this thier truck sales would go through the roof(even better than thier great sales right now) :nice:
excursion was my favorite SUV because it was the only SUV you could get with a diesel, and come on, if you have a full size truck/SUV what engine is the best?

Would it be this engine?

Power StrokeĀ® 4.5L V-6 Diesel; 200 HP @ 3000 rpm; 440 lbs.-ft.
Torque @ 1850 rpm

cobradude 12/19/05 09:00 PM

where did you get those spec's?