The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   67-69 Tbird (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/67-69-tbird-414681/)

Vintage-Iron 7/24/05 02:08 PM

Right now, I am in the middle of restoring my 66 Mustang coupe, but I dont want to have to drive it to school everyday, and I may need something with abit more room ( What for, you ask?:hmm: For..........friends. Yes, friends. :-D ). A friend of my Dads has a 64 Bird, but its too nice for me to want to take it off his hands, and my Dad has a 67 Tbird 4door (390 too), hes had it for years, but I never saw it till recently, or one of that bodystyle for that matter. I absolutely love the front of the 67-69 Birds, but Dads has been sitting since '88, and has since rusted beyond logical use, except for a parts car. Now that I've finished my little backstory, time for the real question :

How much, do you think, a 67-69 Tbird 4door, in decent shape, would go for, without a motor? (Thinking of a Foxbody 5.0, for gas mileage) By decent shape I mean maybe a rust spot or two, dent here or there, and/or a bad interior. I'm thinking that in my area, I might be able to find one for 1500-2000, any thoughts on this?

63galaxie 7/24/05 02:24 PM

I haven't seen em go for as much as the earlier years, but you could put a $1,200 reserve on ebay and see what happens. You might even get over reserve...

Vintage-Iron 7/24/05 02:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I've never used Ebay, but I'll look into it. I suppose another question I need to ask is if there would be anything preventing me from sticking in a later model Mustang 5.0 in one? I can't think of anything, considering they can fit 390s, but I want to make sure.

63galaxie 7/24/05 11:08 PM

yes it'll fit but i'd go with a big FE block over a 302. There maybe some electronic issues, you'll need a harness & computer for the EFI and a fuel pump.

It seems as if there is a huge restomod craze now, but i can't argue as long as you're not messin with a running car or something, than I'm fine with it I just hate to see C-code and even A-code and K-code Mustangs go to waste to be shelby CLONES...so don't mess that 66 up :jester:
sorry, had a rant goin' on...

Vintage-Iron 7/25/05 12:22 AM

My 66 came with a 200 six, cant do too much that would do it wrong :-D . Now it has a 289 and the 5-lug suspension to hold it up safely. It will be getting some Granada discs as soon as we can find a Granada fer cheap (Darn things were all crushed!). Anywhoo, putting a big FE would not be a problem, because we have both a 460 and a 390 at our disposal, but I want something that can go farther on the dollar, catch my drift? Gas is something like 2.00 around here.

63galaxie 7/25/05 10:28 AM

I don't see a problem with something like what you did with your mustang, my uncle did that to a 65 F100 Custom Cab and its hiseveryday driver.
The 460 is a torque monster because of its huge stroke, and the 390 can rev high but its huge displacement still makes big torque, i'd go with the 390. Gas is a killer, i have a galaxie in slow "restoration" and now im planning on it as a sunday drag car or somethin' beacuse of gas prices. The 390 will get you farther on a dollar...but your mustang gets pretty good mileage right?
BTW on your mustang, please don't put some 18' torque thrust and all that, i think they look really good with 15" Mag 500's, just my opinion, the restomod craze hasnt hitten me

Vintage-Iron 7/25/05 11:42 AM

If it got Torqs, they would most like not be 18's, but I'm planning on some styled steel wheels, I like the look of em how the came from the factory. I :worship: Ford stylists of old :jester: . Now, what If we got a slightly older 302, without EFI, would that still make decent gas mileage?

63galaxie 7/25/05 01:31 PM

Yep it would, i think mine gets 15 or better in the city. T-birds are such heavy cars is the only problem with ahaving a small block, but it might do good. Styled steel wheels sound awesome :nice:

Paris MkVI 12/21/05 11:41 AM

I would think the curb weight of a T-Bird would have a 302 working hard all the time. With the shift points on the tranny, it might fit, but it might not be a "good fit", if you take my meaning.

Those T'Birds are big beasts and need torque to move them around. You might save gas with the 302 (not much, I don't think) but the T'Bird may feel rather sluggish.

Just my humble opinion. I have driven big underpowered cars before, and it is a Hoover-Eureka-Electrolux type experience, if you catch my drift.