The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   2009 Ford Fusion to get more power, six-speed 'box (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/2009-ford-fusion-get-more-power-six-speed-box-467148/)

Zastava_101 4/21/08 10:11 AM

2009 Ford Fusion to get more power, six-speed 'box

During a meeting with Ford dealers last week, it was revealed that the 2009 Fusion would benefit from the same 170 hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder found in the new Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner. The upgraded mill, which boasts an extra 10 hp over the outgoing engine and variable valve timing, will be mated to Ford's six-speed automatic transmission and should return a few miles-per-gallon more than its predecessor. There's also talk that the new Fusion could get an upgraded version of the 3.0-liter V6, along with a new front fascia and a revised interior. Ford spokesperson, Jim Cain, wouldn't confirm or deny the planned upgrades, but it's likely we'll get a formal announcement in the next few months before the revamped Fusion goes on sale later this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/21/2...six-speed-box/

Knight 4/21/08 10:30 AM

i say stop building the 3.0 and just put the 3.5 in the fusion.

Zastava_101 4/21/08 10:37 AM

So is this 2.5L also Mazda's engine like 2.3L or is that Ford's engine?

Moosetang 4/21/08 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 5553574)

Too many cars want/need the 3.5 right now, they can't ramp up production quickly enough for all of them just yet. Since the Fusion is small, light, and not a Linc it will make do with an updated 3.0 for now so that other vehicles can get the 3.5 first.

Knight 4/21/08 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 5553631)
Too many cars want/need the 3.5 right now, they can't ramp up production quickly enough for all of them just yet. Since the Fusion is small, light, and not a Linc it will make do with an updated 3.0 for now so that other vehicles can get the 3.5 first.

I can definatly understand that. I'm just saying it would be nice if they could make enough and just put the 3.5 in all their vehicles that need a V6...including the mustang.

Cheese302 4/21/08 12:27 PM

i would still take a 4cylinder with a manual trans. that would be a decent combo. but i am intrigued by the claim of a facelift

Knight 4/21/08 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cheese302 (Post 5553653)
i would still take a 4cylinder with a manual trans. that would be a decent combo. but i am intrigued by the claim of a facelift

totally, If i had a little more room in my budget I would have gotten a 4cyl manual fusion over my 4cyl manual focus.

Maybe i will trade up in the future.

cheech6g 4/21/08 01:51 PM

My stepmom just got a 4 cyl Milan......though its not the quickest car out there, the ride is great and she gets incredible gas milage. The way she drives though, she wouldnt need the power of the 3.0 V6 let alone the 3.5.

rhumb 4/21/08 04:05 PM

The Fusion could really use the SVT treatment -- good bones needing a bit more meat. A 300hp 3.7 backed by the six speed and fitted with appropriately uprated suspension and brakes and Ford would have a real serious drivers car here that would help it stand out from the gray, dray family sedan hordes.

So simple, so obvious ... so Ford will never do it.

hi5.0 4/21/08 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb (Post 5553784)
The Fusion could really use the SVT treatment -- good bones needing a bit more meat. A 300hp 3.7 backed by the six speed and fitted with appropriately uprated suspension and brakes and Ford would have a real serious drivers car here that would help it stand out from the gray, dray family sedan hordes.

LOL, true. Maybe Ford doesn't want to step on the toes of the MS 6.

Moosetang 4/22/08 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by rhumb (Post 5553784)

Or, it could be they're investing the money into stuff like DSG development, a hot B -Car, and oh yeah, a 5.0L 400hp V8 for the 2010 Mustang. You know, getting the meat of their lineup in shape.:nice:

V10 4/26/08 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 5553574)

Only a small # of customers need / want the 3.5 in the Fusion. The power improved 3.0 will be good enough for 95% of Fusion V6 customers, especially if it delivers higher MPG than the 3.5.

Black331 4/26/08 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 5556677)
Only a small # of customers need / want the 3.5 in the Fusion. The power improved 3.0 will be good enough for 95% of Fusion V6 customers, especially if it delivers higher MPG than the 3.5.

You don't know that, I'm not ok with letting the Fusion continue on as the wheeziest car in it's class, 9 horsepower isn't going to even be felt, it's the added torque from the extra 0.5L of displacement you feel when you step up to the D35 as in the case of the Taurus.

You can strive to be the best, or just play catch-up, Ford's been playing catch-up for far too long, with disastrous results. It's long past time for them to get in the game, anything less than the D35 in the 2010 Fusion will be another Ford foul up.