Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2008 Iosis errr... Mondeo! Production (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/06, 08:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Iosis errr... Mondeo! Production (Merged Threads)

Hey y'all. Check this out on autoblog:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/22/o...-mondeo-wagon/

Its a mondeo concept which is basically a station wagon version of that beautiful Iosis concept we saw a while back. A vehicle with these proportions is something i'd really like to see here in NA. I remember when they first mentioned a "sport wagon" based on the mazda6 chasis... i thought we'd get something like this, not a CUV. I just can't imagine myself ever driving something as tall and bulky looking as an Edge, as cool as it is.

I feel like I recently saw a spy shot of the production version of the next mondeo, although i can't remember where that might've been. Maybe it was just a dream, but I remember being typically let down in the concept->production transformation.
I love those rims Ford of Europe always puts on its concepts!
Old 9/22/06, 08:33 AM
I'm people, and I like.

That is looking pretty good.
They should shorten it, delete two doors, add the new 3.5, and sell it over here
Old 9/22/06, 02:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Love the iosis concept, and this is pretty good as well. I hope Ford Euro keeps the look as much as possible.
Old 9/22/06, 03:28 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that looks good! hope ford keeps it up!
Old 9/22/06, 11:05 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ho****

thats awesome. definately a fan of that good job EuroFord!
Old 9/23/06, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad
I feel like I recently saw a spy shot of the production version of the next mondeo, although i can't remember where that might've been. Maybe it was just a dream, but I remember being typically let down in the concept->production transformation.
I love those rims Ford of Europe always puts on its concepts!

I guess maybe that was just a dream (so sad that i dream about reading about cars on the net...) cause i just read this on the Inside Line:
Despite the concept-car tag, the new Ford reportedly virtually mirrors the production version of the Mondeo that is due to go on sale next year. "The body work is completely the same. Only small details like the graphics on the lights will change," a high-ranking Ford of Europe insider told Inside Line.
So looks like this is actually what we'll see on the road in Europe in a couple years, minus perhaps those Lambo rims and trapezoid tail pipes. But i guess this makes sense, considering the S-Max, that thing is pretty wild and very close to the concept that preceded it.
Old 9/23/06, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, so much for waiting... autoblog's got a bunch of shots of the production sedan, totally undisguised. Looks pretty nice to me. Those rims are even almost unchanged from the concept.

Click here for a bunch of full size pics.
Old 9/23/06, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

2008 mondeo production version

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...ction-version/
Old 9/23/06, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I like it!

I wish they sold it here.
Old 9/23/06, 03:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Looks pretty good, they gave it a production lok without gutting it. Way to go, Euro!
Old 9/23/06, 04:52 PM
I'm people, and I like.

That is one kickin' car!

We never get the good stuff over here... I would much rather have this car than the Fusion and the 500.
Old 9/23/06, 05:00 PM
Post *****

prettttty schnazzzy
Old 9/23/06, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still prefer the Fusion in terms of looks, but no doubt the Mondeo will get all the cool packages that we wont.
Old 9/23/06, 08:32 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I like that alot! WOuld make a very sharp coupe
Old 9/23/06, 08:57 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by burningman
I like that alot! WOuld make a very sharp coupe
I was just thinking about how this car would look like a coupe... it would look really good
Old 9/24/06, 02:42 AM
Closet American

Ford's Euro product lineup is impressive and needs to come over here sooner or later if they are to become competitive in North America. (I believe the Mondeo is designed and engineered in Germany?) It seems Ford is actually looking seriously at doing this, too. Advanced Product Strategy Manager Joe Pierucci talked about bringing European vehicles to the U.S.: "We are investigating all opportunities,” he explained, “factoring in customer needs, safety requirements, and emissions standards. The U.S. has different safety requirements and emissions standards from Europe so any vehicles that would be brought to the U.S. would need to be reengineered and crashed to ensure it meets the requirements. All of this takes time."

That sounds like a tacit admission to me that they're actually going to do this.

The massive layoffs and cost-cutting measures taking place in North America right now will doubtless free up some of the capital needed to leverage, modify and import some of the Euro product line-up into North America to get people back into showrooms and shore up sales.

It's interesting to read the Autoblog comments from that photo page you link to above. I think they're quite revealing and that Ford should pay attention (these are the actual comments) >>

Hey FORD, YOU DUMBASSES. If you sold this in the US, I'd be pulling into a FORD DEALER, not a Toyota, Nissan or Honda.
Bring it to North America now. Maybe Ford needs an ex Boeing employee to make the decision and justify his existence.
You can make a lot of valid logical points about why it would be hard for Ford to bring over their European lineup to North America.

But the bottom-line simply is - if Ford does not bring their European lineup over to NA, then they actually DESERVE to be in the situation they are in.
How the hell does Ford figure we would rather have the half-assed styling we get here rather than this???

It is inexcusable that Ford sells something like this in Europe and we get the 500. Gee, I wonder why Ford NA is in trouble. Why could that be?
Ford would not be dying here in US with offerings such as this
OW... just WOW!!! PLEASE Ford, make a truly "BOLD" move. Discontinue the Fusion, slide in the Mondeo in it's place with the FORD nameplate, and continue to sell the Milan and Zephyr/MKZ as they are (which are **** FINE automobiles I might add... much more attractive than the Fusion in every way). We don't need/want 3 flavors of the Ford Fusion, OK? The Fusion spells cheap to your consumers and that's not what we want.

I seriously cannot imagine why anyone would buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry over this car.

WE WANT THE MONDEO FORD!!! And if by some miracle you do bring over the Mondeo (or other Ford Europe vehicles), do NOT cheapen/change them up on us. Americans are sophisticated people, why do you think we are buying Toyota's? We have no other choice. It's certainly not for the styling! My god, the styling is just wretched. I hope you are reading this.
Hi Ford. Thanks for only offering the North American market the ugly, stale, bottom-feeding crap of your product line. Happy bankruptcy.
It makes me want to cry when I see the yummy cars the Euro's are getting while here in the US all we get is the Edge? Ford, now hear this! Scrap the crap! Give us the Euro stuff! We have money and we're not afraid to spend it!
That is not a bad looking car. Put some good running gear in it and let me test drive it.

Oh, it's Europe only? Never mind, Ford. Let me know when you start competing and stop whining about how hard it is to make cars.
This is easily the BEST looking Ford mid-size car ever! If Ford really wants to turn things around, then KILL OFF the entire domestic car line-up, except the Mustang and replace them with their European counterparts.
I honestly have absolutely no pity for Ford's situation.

When they don't bring cars over like this -- or at least make comparable cars for America, it's their fault, pure and simple.

Yes, they have many other issues -- but come on, folks.

At least GM is trying.
Please Ford, you have all you need in your hands, just across the ocean, do it for your own sake, please, please, please.
Why would Ford even have to bring it over? Just junk the stuff they bulid in Dearborn and build the Euro stuff instead. Am I missing something here?
Beautiful car. It's funny reading the comments every time we have an article about European Ford/GM/DC products. If Ford brought over these models, the landscape would change from seeing so many Honda's & Toyota's on the road.
If ford is serious about building flexible manufacturing plants, they can build the cars here in order to keep the unions from crying.

The last few years have shown that american cars CAN have excellent quality if we're willing to put a little effort into it. Keep the same design and build it here; how does that hurt anyone.

To the person who said the Fusion looks better than this: a razor blade for a grill and aftermarket civic tailights (cheap ones too, not even nice ones) does NOT equal good car design. Whatever you're smoking, you should stop now.
This is the first Ford that is so attractive, (looks similar but better, more sporty, than the Infiniti M series) that I would buy it. If Ford power wigs have any brains, this Ford will make it to American dealerships.
I will add my "voice" to the rest ....

***** FORD IF YOU ARE LISTENIING AT ALL ****

Bring this over to N.America !!!
Nice car, why can't we get these cars in the US.
Someone give Bill Ford a call and tell him to read this board for god's sake. Tell Bill to call Fields too so they can blame each other for not figure out that they needed to produce Euro models in the USA a long time ago.

Tell Mulally to read this too.

I can't believe they don't have someone to look out for what the buyers want. If they do, why this guy isn't seeing that everyone wants the Euros in their main market?
I remember reading a Ford interview where the head designer at Ford said the reason why the Mondeo was ditched here in favor of the Fusion was because focus groups here in the US indicated that Americans would prefer the more angular styling of the Fusion. Makes you wonder who they actually got to attend these focus groups.
Guess Ford believes we're not worthy.
i love it...ford, please be smart and bring this over. or build it here, whatever. this would definitely make me consider a Ford again!!!
Everyone - Email Ford and demand they give us the vechile!!! God ****it demand IT!!!

https://secure.ford.com/en/support/emailUs.htm
This is an outstanding vehicle and it is too bad that Ford would not bring this vehicle to the American people. Ford's vehicles in Europe are much more appealing and the quality is significantly better, but then, of course, they have to compete against other quality automobile makers on the European continent. Ford wants Americans to buy American, but they don't provided their best product to Americans. Ford could take a huge lesson from Honda and Toyota.
No matter what the cost...they should see this car here. I have continually stated that FORD management treats the American consumer as if they are idiots.

Can't have the new Focus because it moves the car up-market. Can't have a Mondeo because it moves the car up-market. Well, you IDIOT Ford Managers...Honda does it with all their cars and the car mature with the buyer. This is not a difficult concept.

Again...get with it Ford. My X-Type Wagon (a glorified Mondeo) is an excellent car.

Where's our Mondeo? The Fusion? Maybe for a new college grad...but not for the 40+ crowd.

Again a message to Ford. Hire me and I will return you to profitability...however, I need carte-blanche.

Thank you for listening
I love the new design. I just wish Ford would sell them in Canada.
Way better looking than the Fusion.
Ford executives are possibly the biggest dumbasses in history. All the nice good quality cars, like this Mondeo, are sold in Europe, when in the U.S. most of what Ford sells is crap. WTF!!!!!?????
I believe NA should stop designing cars n have Europe take care of that, make the platform flexible to be able to market in US but as NA price instead of Euro price .. n have US only design on SUVs or Trucks thats all they are good at .. NOT CARS . everybody agrees why FORD is failing in US market .. two great examples EURO FOCUS n MONDEO
Ford, I just bought a 2006 Accord, if this was out, I would have stopped by your dealership....NO JOKE....

I am VERY loyal to Honda/Acura, two in my household and my previous 4 vehicles were of Honda/Acura dissent.

In all honesty, it's not as much about reliability anymore, the playing field is becoming leveled. It's more about producing inspiring cars and the Fusion cuts it on a taxi-cab level.
Reminds me of the Acura TL, and that's not a bad thing. Check out the line from the front side marker to the back one, through both door handles:
http://tinyurl.com/jy2fz
The Mondeo's is similar, could have been inspired by it.
I don't care for the chrome/silver paint under the front grill and behind the back bumper. The wheels look a little aged. Overall, though, a beautifully shaped car. Looks classy.
they should bring this in as the mercury milan, and replace the current ford fusion with the current mercury milan.
This has to be the best looking Ford I've seen to date - with a style like this I've make a stop by the Ford dealer when looking for my next car. Cars like this should be a high priority on Ford's turn-around plan, this is exactly what Ford Dealers need. Red Rover, Red Rover, Have Ford bring this car OVER!
I just bought a Lexus IS250 ... I really wanted to buy an American car. If Ford sold this in the US, I very well might have bought it. A shame that Ford can't wise up.
absolutely gorgeous. Best looking FWD midsized sedan I have seen
Actually if Ford were to produce these European Mondeo in the US, it WOULD have a very competitive price. Actually, if betting on w weak US Dollar for the next decades (could be likely), they could close fabrication over in Europe and export from the US. Would that be a turn-around plan? Maybe. Likely to happen maybe not...
Its not all that easy, but I do agree, kill some products and manufacture European designs in the US as well.
This would make a nice Mercury. The Ford and Mercury brand would loose the badge engineering criticism. The Mercury brand was a midscale brand between Ford and Lincoln at one time. This would be a perfect fit. Introducing the new Mercury Mondeo.
Just don't forget the European Focus. While you're at it bring the European Galaxy as Mercury van too. Take a look at what GM's Saturn division is doing and copy this with Mercury!!!

Just have a look at that Mondeo wagon.
I think the design themes in this car, as well as the european focus, are much nicer than the new NA Ford 3-bar grill theme. The 3-bar theme reads as a grope for distinction. Its weak and thin, and frankly the Fusion looks very static next to this. The european design theme looks mature and refined - more in the direction of BMW and Mercedes who manage to stick to and grow their designs instead of attempting to completely reinventing themselves. So what do we have coming down the pike? 3-bar Focus and 3-bar 500s...

I think they should move the NA models into the Mercury and Lincoln brands where most buyers are not auto enthusiasts, and start building the european designs here under the Ford marque. Convert Ford to a "european" brand, and sell down Mercury to peddle the usual NA crap, keep Lincoln as the pseudo luxury brand that it is. Ditch those brands when the won't sell anymore. There is your downsizing plan.
#60 I could not have said it better. C'mon Ford, go bigtime and justify your existence as a passenger car builder or go back to building tractors.
OMG! Everyone at Ford USA needs to be fired this second! This should be here. Untouched. No replacing the rear lights with cheap solid red tail/turn signals, no reshaping the deck lid to fit only US license plates, no cutting the interior plastic costs in half. No replacing the springs and bushings to make the crown vic crowd happy. Clone this car NOW!!! This would torpedo the Camry out of the water. Crap, this would sink even higher dollar cars. I would rather have this than anything I can think of at the moment.
Provided this car drives as well as it looks, I would definately be purchasing this car -- but, in typical Ford management style, this car will NEVER see the light of day in USA -- and thus Ford will continue to tumble.
Every one on Autoblog that remotely likes the idea of this car should print the photos and go to every Ford dealer near you. Slam the photos down on the desk and say. "when this is here, I will buy a Ford" and walk out. Dealers are the ones that tell Ford what to build really. Sway the plaid pants and white shoe guys and we would get this.
#62, I learned how to drive manual on my dad's Ford Tractor. He had bought it in '92 or '93, right before Ford sold the tractor division. Sad, it was a very reliable piece of machinery.

I would hope the Ford is reading this and taking the comments seriously. I'd also like to encourage them to import some of the vehicles from Australia that have nice big V-8 engines. They probably wouldn't be high-volume sellers but they'd do wonders for Ford's image in North America! I bought my wife a Ford Focus a couple years ago and we've really enjoyed the vehicle. When I think of American brands, FORD is probably the first one that comes to mind - thus I'd like to keep buying American because I am American. However, Ford itself doesn't have anything I'm interested in for my next purchase, save maybe for the Edge & Mustang. If I was to stick with the "Ford Family" the other cars I'd look at would be the Mazda 3 or the Volvo S40. Other than that there really isn't too much to be interested in and I find that sad.
this is one ford that i wouldn't mind be seen driving in.
Ford does not desreve North America. Ford should just stop trying. Just go to Europe already. We know you dont like selling to us Americans. Go but leave us the one car we will buy, Mustang.
have you paid attention to what Ford is charging for the Fusion, MKZ, and Milan?? Those prices are right in line, and we wouldn't need a warmed over Mazda6 (I have a 6, by the way, and it rocks all on its own) to make a Ford out of. Instead, we get the 6 chassis with poorly-designed interiors made out of cheap materials. This Mondeo could easily be sitting in my driveway, pure and simple.
Ford should learn from Saturn and bring the Mondeo, Euro Focus, Australian Falcon as Mercury. Ford should be an all American brand and turn Mercury into a brand with an interantional flair. They don't have a clue.
FOrd, Look at who is making money. Ford Europe is doing what Ford NA Has got to do. Dump the junk and get with the European concepts. $3.00 gas is here to stay, once China and India start using more fuel. Its just plain economics. We don't need 5+ liter engines in our vehicles anymore!
Thats a sharp car! It makes a compelling case for doing the same thing that gms doing with the saturn line. Just bring the euro cars over badge them as mercurys(ies?) and make money. Yeah even I recall merkur was a disaster. But nowadays it would be a different story. A story that would make ford into something other than the meat and potatoes mustang and f-150. Sure the 500 and fusion are decent cars but neither are head turning conversation pieces.

Gm figured out that people hate slightly upmarket rebadged minor reskins, Why cant ford? Mercury is a languishing brand if there ever was one. As the PAG gets sold off why not bring affordable, compelling, european cars to the U.S.? This car, the euro focus(yes the rs too), hell even the ka if it gets a replacement, bring em! They would get some actual conquest sales in the states and offer an excellent counterpart to the lincolns on the same lot.

Ford is hemoraging sales wise so why not spend some of cash, while they still have it, fedralize the euro fords bring them here as mercurys. In the process create a legitimite scion, mini, subaru and volkswagen fighting brand that the kids would like and the adults would buy.

Otherwise just kill off mercury and hope gas prices somehow drop.
wow a very nice design on the mondeo. KUDOS ford.they would never bring it 2 the united states . they will probably keep it in europe, asia and latin american markets. the u.s keep the 10 yr old focus in production. now you wonder why they keep losing market share in u.s.
What more really needs to be said?

The people have spoken. The only question is, is Dearborn listening.

I hope so for their sake.
Old 9/24/06, 08:46 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Sounds like some of the stuff that has been posted on this board before.

I personally like the first quote
Old 9/24/06, 11:08 AM
Post *****

hmmm if they brought that over here... i could probably get my mom to ditch the 3-series.... hehehe
Old 9/24/06, 12:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Dude! BC Shelby! How long did all those quotes take you?! daaamn. I've been reading those comments too, and was pretty surprised at how much discussion its bringing on. Its at 82 comments, which is a lot for autoblog, this car is catching a lot of attention. Personally I think its a straight up good looking car, but in a much more conservative way than the Fusion. I still like the Fusion a lot. I find it looks a lot less bulky than this Mondeo. This Mondeo is a lot chunkier than the last one,

but I guess its significantly more attractive.

Check out these shots i found, i'm guessing its a photoshop based on the Iosis.

anybody read italian or spanish, not sure what this is:
http://www.automotorclub.com/articol...2007/index.htm
Old 9/24/06, 04:13 PM
Closet American

Dude! BC Shelby! How long did all those quotes take you?! daaamn.
A little bit! But I thought it was worth it, cause it makes the point in a VERY dramatic way, and I know Ford personnel do read this board.

Check out these shots i found, i'm guessing its a photoshop based on the Iosis.

Jeezus! I can GUARANTEE if Ford built that vehicle above and sold it here, the company's financial woes would begin to disappear. C'mon Ford, the manufacturers of all those cars we import get this equation - why should you be any different? Begin leading again instead of playing "catch up." BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME.

Quick Reply: 2008 Iosis errr... Mondeo! Production (Merged Threads)