The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   SN95 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/)
-   -   Predator is causing knocking (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/predator-causing-knocking-451112/)

Stangvert 4/23/07 11:41 AM

Predator is causing knocking

I purchased the Diablo Predator a few weeks ago, drained my tank to about 1/8th a tank, filled with Citgo premium and installed their basic Diablo tune. At WOT, I had a decent amount of pinging so I went easy on the car the rest of the day. When I got home, I reset to the factory tune to avoid damaging the engine. I called Diablo and they stated that I should of used Mobil, Amoco or Sunoco premium fuel, and that could be why the problem exists. They stated if it still knocks, I should change my plugs and fuel filter and retry the tune.

I've now got less than two weeks, under the 30-day return warranty, and I'm a little concerned that if anything, I might be able to use the base 3-5 HP tune, and never be able to utilize the sparc-advance that can generate another 6 or 7 HP. I'm wondring if I should return the Predator now, or if the following things may have in fact caused the problem:
  • Still had about 1/8th of a tank of 89 or 93 octane fuel (I don't fill-up very often, so I can't remember exactly) in the tank before I filled with 93 octane
  • Used Citgo gas, which is not on their recommended list of Mobil, Amoco or Sunoco. Can their really be that much of a difference in 93 octane gasolines?
  • Plugs only have 40,000 miles on them, but could they need replacing?
Any info, recommendations or past experiences with the Predator or any other tuner would be appreciated. :doh: Should I keep this thing or send it back? Should I try another tuner?

Thanks!

Stangvert 4/23/07 02:13 PM

Update on Diablo

Talked to a reputable Mustang peformance site, that has dealt with the Predator, and they stated that the new K&N FIPK and Accufab 75mm plenum/TB combo might be making the tuners stock tune ping. He advised retarding the spark a little.

Since I have a 5-speed, and the only real tuning changes that are made for 5-speed cars is air/fuel mixture and spark advance, he stated that my money migh be best spent elsewhere, since the Ford tune is pretty strong anyway.

Got to tell you, I called Diablo and I was not feeling the love. First call, I received the info about changing gas, plugs and fuel filter. The second response, discusssing what I heard about the spark advance and airflow, was quite gruff ("Must be bad gas!"). I might screw-around with retarding the spark a little, but if spark and air/fuel is all that you get over the stock tune, this might be a big waste of money. :bad:

Silver99v6 4/23/07 07:26 PM

Same thing happened to me with my X-cal II

CircuitBreaker 4/23/07 08:07 PM

Most fuel brands come from the same fuel terminal so unless they added something at the station, its more than likely the same.
I would say the combination of having the 75mm TB/plenum and the intake, is too much air for the "canned" tune.

Stangvert 4/24/07 03:44 PM

Sending it back

I retarded the spark a few points (up to -2 on the Predator), and the knocking still occurred. After speaking to the people where I bought it, they believe it is definitely the fact that I have the CAI and 75 mm TB on the intake. They suggested I buy new stronger fuel injectors. I told them that they should note that intake mods can affect the stock tune somewhere on the website. I'm going to attempt to send it back and trade it in for some gears and get them installed. If I get a tuner down the road, to accomodate the gears, I might go with the SCT since it has four graduated tunes. I could just go up the ladder until I hit the knocking.

jacostang 4/24/07 04:00 PM

Citgo Gas????:bad:

http://www.highperformancestangs.com...ead.php?t=2846

ripper 4/24/07 04:47 PM

Thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. CAI and a t/b plenum do not even need a tune. Do this because either the tune is bad or your gas is bad. Add some gt100 fuel to your tank (amount depends on how much gas you have in there) if you have 1/4 tank put 2 gals in. It will knock your octang up over 93. Put the tune in and start it up. If it still pings send that pos back to them. air/fuel ratio causes ping. You cant change it with that tuner, you have to load what they put on it. It sounds like they screwed it up. Ping is detonation. A motor killer for sure. SCT is a much better tuner but you still dont get air/fuel on that either.

CircuitBreaker 4/24/07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ripper (Post 900448)
Thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. CAI and a t/b plenum do not even need a tune. Do this because either the tune is bad or your gas is bad. Add some gt100 fuel to your tank (amount depends on how much gas you have in there) if you have 1/4 tank put 2 gals in. It will knock your octang up over 93. Put the tune in and start it up. If it still pings send that pos back to them. air/fuel ratio causes ping. You cant change it with that tuner, you have to load what they put on it. It sounds like they screwed it up. Ping is detonation. A motor killer for sure. SCT is a much better tuner but you still dont get air/fuel on that either.

A intake, 75mm T/B and a plenum, do need a tune in most cases. It will be too lean.

Stangvert 4/25/07 11:23 AM

No knocking

I told the people from Diablo and where I bought the thing that the car never knocked with the TB/plenum/CAI combo before the tune was applied, and didn't knock after the tune was backed-out.

They told me that these tuners are built for stock mustangs. First time I heard that. This is a very important concept, yet is mentioned nowhere on any of the websites I visited. I didn't feel too comfortable heavily modifying the air/fuel mixture or spark advance, as an amatuer. Last thing I wanted to do is damage the engine trying to get a couple of HP.

The seller did not want to take this tuner back, even though Diablo mentioned a 30 day warranty in the manual. I had to threaten to post nasty comments all over the web in order to get them to relent. Since they did take it back, I have chosen not to mention their site-name here. All of my other experiences with them have been good.

Once I get the car built the way I want it to be (3.73 gears, new h-pipe and possibly headers), I'm going to take it to one of those places where they do a custom dyno tune for it. Then I'm done except for some appearance bits in the engine compartment and on the front-end. I might put on some cobra brakes as a finishing touch.

Stangvert 4/25/07 11:27 AM

How does that X-Pipe sound with those Borlas?

Breaker,
How does that SLP X-Pipe sound with those Borlas? What's the difference vesus the borlas with the stock h-pipe?

CircuitBreaker 4/25/07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stangvert (Post 901124)
Breaker,
How does that SLP X-Pipe sound with those Borlas? What's the difference vesus the borlas with the stock h-pipe?

I like it. (I have the older Borla cat-back with the turbo mufflers) At idle and while cruising its moderately louder than stock. Has a throaty growl at WOT. With just the Borlas on it, it was louder than stock but pretty tame compared to flowmasters or loudmouths. Really opened it up with the X-pipe but still not that loud really. Quite liveable if its your DD.

Just FYI on the tuner:
Granite you may not see it at first(I didn't), but this notation is on Diablosports website.

Predator Custom Tuning

Custom tunes are most likely needed if you modified your car, which are available from any CMR dealer.

SuperSugeKnight 4/27/07 02:49 PM

Keep retarding the timing until the pinging goes away. My friend had to do this on his Mustang. He had to drop the timing 10%.

Stangvert 5/21/07 02:55 PM

Having returned the Predator, I'm going to get my 3.73 gears and BBK underdrive pulleys put in next month (when I get the cash together). Still debating on whether I'm just going to get a speedo re-claibrator or get another tuner to accomodate the gears. I've read on several sites where owners state that the stock Ford tune is pretty decent as is, and the custom tuners aren't worth the money. Any opinions there?

It looks like the SCT XCalibrator2 retailers will supply custom tunes based on owner's specific modifications. Sounds like they'll be able to accomodate my K&N CAI and Accufab 75mm plenum/TB combo in their tune. I've heard good things about BamaChips XCalibrator2 Custom tunes. Any other recommendations from other SCT XCalibrator2 owners out there? Any recommendations about retailers who work to develop a good custom tune with owner mods? :dunno:

Thanks,
Stangvert

Stangvert 7/16/07 08:14 AM

Now the XCalibrator 2 is knocking

I put my 3.73 gears in and the Steeda pulleys. When I Installed the BamaChips XCal2 93-octane-torque tune, the car started knocking at WOT and/or when I stress the engine (Climbing a large hill, etc.). I had the same problem with the Diablosport. Starting to wonder if it's an idiosyncracy of the engine/ECC or something. Sent two emails to BamaChips last week but haven't received any response yet. Left a voicemail today. I hope they return my inquiries and provide me with some options. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also noticed that the dash-security warning light is now flashing for 5 to 10 minutes after the car is started. It used to just flash when the engine is off and when the car is started. Seemed to happen as a result of the tune.

Scothew 7/16/07 11:15 AM

makes me wonder if your eec was flashed from ford or something and has a different calibration code than what is being given to Doug.

Anrev 7/16/07 11:30 AM

You need to get it dyno'd with A/F readings and then have them tune the car for you. Thats the best way to fix your problems.

Stangvert 7/16/07 11:45 AM

Thanks for the input guys. The car was totally stock, 35k miles, when I bought it from a 50 year old country-woman. That's why I jumped on it. It didn't appear to have any signs of abuse. I'm just wondering if that 75mm Accufab TB/plenum and K&N FIPK is moving more air than expected. That K&N pipe seems bigger than most of the CAI's that I've seen and I know the 75 mm plenum/TB is on rhe border of being too big.

I'm not aware of any good mustang performance shops in northern Maryland. I had the gears and pulleys installed at a Ford dealer that does SVT and Saleen sales and a lot of performance work. Don't you think Bamachips should provide me some information since they apparently supply "custom" tunes? Worst case scenario, I'll stick with the 87-octane performance tune that is currently on there. Probably a few horses better than the stock tune, albeit an expensive $400 for a few horses.

conv_stang 7/17/07 06:30 AM

only thing i can think of is the tune is for a stock car. when ever you get a programmer most places ask you for your mods and can do a custom tune to adjust for the mods. your tune probably leaned the car out for stock and your mods are getting alot more air then stock so now it is causing detonation. when you back out the tune it richens the fuel and does away with the detonation. doug at bama chips can send you a custom tune for 50 bucks to account for your mods. i would call and talk to him about that and see what he says

Stangvert 7/17/07 07:37 AM

Waiting to hear from Doug at Bamachips. Sent him an email almost a week ago with no response yet. Left a phone message yesterday. I've heard he can be slow to respond but does a good job tweaking purchased tunes. I think I need to start there. I paid for three custome tunes so I don't think there should be any charge to get a tune that works. We'll see.

Doug@C&L 7/17/07 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stangvert (Post 964296)
Waiting to hear from Doug at Bamachips. Sent him an email almost a week ago with no response yet. Left a phone message yesterday. I've heard he can be slow to respond but does a good job tweaking purchased tunes. I think I need to start there. I paid for three custome tunes so I don't think there should be any charge to get a tune that works. We'll see.

Hey Chris,

Your email has been responded to, just let me know what we need to do to make this right for you.

Thanks, Doug.