The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   SN95 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/)
-   -   New member, new to me car, lots of questions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/new-member-new-me-car-lots-questions-504546/)

Night_prowler22 1/27/12 07:11 PM

New member, new to me car, lots of questions

First off hi everyone just picked up a used 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 auto with only 113,500 miles on it. very well taken care of it seems as was driven only to school by a guys daughter they took very well care of it, changed the oil on time, had tired rotated when they should be, replaced things it needed over the past 8 yrs. I feel I got it for a pretty good price.

This is not my first Stang I used to own a 93 LX and a 79 Capri (same as stang)

1st: is there a easy way to un fog the headlights? or cheap place to get replacements these are really bad fog up. do not like it. Would love to go with after market ones but right now broke and will be for a while paying for this car.

2nd: Are they anywhere besides Ford to buy a 2nd key less entry pad? it only came with one and two keys also anywhere to get keys cheap? have a feeling both thee answers are not what i want to hear.

3rd:This car has a factory tape/am/fm radio with a cd player underneath seprate it also has the Mach 460 Premium Sound system.
so can a aftermarket radio be put in it and still work with that radio system? I honest don't know anything about this system on this car.

4th: This thing does not sound like a V6 at all sounds like a 4 banger is there any cheap way to make it have some sound to it? nothing crazy loud I put a flowmaster on my 93 4 banger it made it louder some but really only when downshifting.

5th: The stock tri stars ( I guess that what there called) wheels are 15 inch. are most of the other wheels out there 15 inch? I hate these stock wheels I love to get some chrome 5 stars will the cobra r's fit this car? not had the center cap off it yet.

Just got this car about 6pm tonight, got home it was about dark been out cleaning it up a lil on inside plan to wash it and clean up the motor compartment tomorrow maybe when get home from work. as they never cleaned the engine compartment I always clean mine on all my cars.

These are just some things I wanted to know already nothing get done right now it be a lil bit only thing wrong with car is rear bumper on pass. side has spot on it paint is flaked off needs to be touched up and a tiny dent in the side behind the pass. door. that's about it.

Thanks for the info

benjyc32 1/28/12 03:56 PM

Do you have pictures of everything you just talked about you can post?

lalayla 1/28/12 04:00 PM

Welcome :)

StangMahn 1/28/12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Night_prowler22 (Post 6236597)
First off hi everyone just picked up a used 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 auto with only 113,500 miles on it. very well taken care of it seems as was driven only to school by a guys daughter they took very well care of it, changed the oil on time, had tired rotated when they should be, replaced things it needed over the past 8 yrs. I feel I got it for a pretty good price.

This is not my first Stang I used to own a 93 LX and a 79 Capri (same as stang)

1st: is there a easy way to un fog the headlights? or cheap place to get replacements these are really bad fog up. do not like it. Would love to go with after market ones but right now broke and will be for a while paying for this car.
Depending on how bad they are, you can either get some Meguiars PlastX from the auto part store, or you may have to wetsand them (second option).

2nd: Are they anywhere besides Ford to buy a 2nd key less entry pad? it only came with one and two keys also anywhere to get keys cheap? have a feeling both thee answers are not what i want to hear.
eBay. You'll have to have the key fob programmed by a dealer though. Once you have two sets, you can program them yourself.

3rd:This car has a factory tape/am/fm radio with a cd player underneath seprate it also has the Mach 460 Premium Sound system.
so can a aftermarket radio be put in it and still work with that radio system? I honest don't know anything about this system on this car.
as long as you have the wires hooked correctly. Never understood why they had two spearate features in those cars to be honest. Check Crutchfield, they can tell you anything you need to know.

4th: This thing does not sound like a V6 at all sounds like a 4 banger is there any cheap way to make it have some sound to it? nothing crazy loud I put a flowmaster on my 93 4 banger it made it louder some but really only when downshifting.
Magnaflows or Flowmasters are about as cheap as you get

5th: The stock tri stars ( I guess that what there called) wheels are 15 inch. are most of the other wheels out there 15 inch? I hate these stock wheels I love to get some chrome 5 stars will the cobra r's fit this car? not had the center cap off it yet.
I believe the Cobra R's will fit, as long as you dont have some aftermarket brakes that would rub. Most of the wheels will be 16/17" - IMO 18's look the best.

Just got this car about 6pm tonight, got home it was about dark been out cleaning it up a lil on inside plan to wash it and clean up the motor compartment tomorrow maybe when get home from work. as they never cleaned the engine compartment I always clean mine on all my cars.

These are just some things I wanted to know already nothing get done right now it be a lil bit only thing wrong with car is rear bumper on pass. side has spot on it paint is flaked off needs to be touched up and a tiny dent in the side behind the pass. door. that's about it.

Thanks for the info

Hope this will help for a start! Welcome to TMS

cpotts13 1/28/12 05:55 PM

You can buy the keyless entry online, search YouTube there is a video to sync they key fob with your car. They key has a "chip" in it. The ford dealer is going to cost am arm and a leg. If you go to ace hardware, or any home improvement store it will be $80 or so. As for the fog lights you might aswell get replacements from americanmuscle.com, you can buy a kit to clear them up, but its a hit and miss. They may be too damaged. And Congrats on the new ride!! Post some pictures!! As for the Mach 460, they are tricky, they can be replaced with a aftermarket unit, there are several write ups online, or pay someone to do it... when it comes to the exhaust there really isn't a cheap option, again check out amaricanmuscle.com ..

skunk21 1/28/12 06:26 PM

you got some good advice sofar.

1. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg or another brand would work well or replace them.

check out ..

american muscle and 50resto both good companies.

2. I agree with StangMahn I like crutchfield. I have used them many times but I'm sure there is info on the site that will help.

3. check out the above companies for options.

5. Yes the wheels will fit, since you have the 15" wheels on now the larger wheels will clear no problem. again the above companies have nice options and tire rack or discount tire direct.

Night_prowler22 1/28/12 08:25 PM

Wow thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. The headlights are bugging me the most right now. Don't they Fog from the inside not outside? I think my old Stang I took them off and try to clean from inside seem it helped some but not much. I will post some pics asap Its dark when I get home I am off tomorrow so get some pics of it.

also I notice lots of people with the billet grilles under the hood they look nice but I just noticed tonight maybe why everyone has them is cause the front is so open, the radiator is really open to something flying up and hitting it. is there any cheaper grills to put in there?

The sound system sounds better then most cars of the same year it sounds better then my 96 S10 blazer does w/o the subs in it...

I will try to read up about the audio system. just wondered maybe take out the cd player and cassette am/fm and stick in one unit with cd player then maybe have a spot to hold my glasses or something underneath the cd player. This car has hardly any spot for anything only complaint

it drives super nice but WOW do I have to watch my speed went to work today on the interstate I was up to 75mph before I knew it so much less noise inside the cab then my S10 blazer been driving. not used to that.

cpotts13 1/28/12 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Night_prowler22 (Post 6237531)
Wow thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. The headlights are bugging me the most right now. Don't they Fog from the inside not outside? I think my old Stang I took them off and try to clean from inside seem it helped some but not much. I will post some pics asap Its dark when I get home I am off tomorrow so get some pics of it.

also I notice lots of people with the billet grilles under the hood they look nice but I just noticed tonight maybe why everyone has them is cause the front is so open, the radiator is really open to something flying up and hitting it. is there any cheaper grills to put in there?

The sound system sounds better then most cars of the same year it sounds better then my 96 S10 blazer does w/o the subs in it...

I will try to read up about the audio system. just wondered maybe take out the cd player and cassette am/fm and stick in one unit with cd player then maybe have a spot to hold my glasses or something underneath the cd player. This car has hardly any spot for anything only complaint

it drives super nice but WOW do I have to watch my speed went to work today on the interstate I was up to 75mph before I knew it so much less noise inside the cab then my S10 blazer been driving. not used to that.

If there is condensation then yes, it could be from the inside, if not, then its the outside, they are sealed. I do recommend the mothers headlight resto kit. Worked great for me. And you can take the disk changer out and put a little cubby, i have no idea where to get it from though.. And the billet grills are more for style... not much help for protection..

cpotts13 1/28/12 08:40 PM

skunk21 1/28/12 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Night_prowler22 (Post 6237531)

Its not fog they call it hazing and its the plastic being effected by UV rays, ozone and highway spray. The older ones did it worse the plastic today is much better but it is still going to happen. the only thing that would happen on the inside would be some moisture getting in and causing some condensation on the backside of the lens, then your in a different ball game.

Night_prowler22 1/28/12 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again you guys

here is one pic of the front of the car

Night_prowler22 1/29/12 12:12 PM

7 Attachment(s)
okay so does this box do anything besides make the ding ding ding while the key is in the ignition ??? it is driving me crazy this has bunch of wires running to it, normally there only two or 3 wires going to the buzzer so didn't know if it did anything else also. I pulled it off and stuck clear tape over the buzzer and then over the outside of the white part to make it muffle a lil it helped but if it doesn't do anything besides beep i will just disconnect the thing. i know it keeps you from leaving the lights on and keeps from leaving keys in the car but its so darn loud really aggravating

Pic of the box and few of the car, I had some stuff i get scratches out of my cars with so try some on my headlight if you look at the driver headlight then the passenger one the driver one looks better then it did. I have to get some that stuff you guys were talking about do you just use a rag to put it on or does it have something to put in like a drill or something kinda like a buffer to use?

Thanks again everyone for the advise and tips so far.

cpotts13 1/29/12 03:24 PM

You use a drill. It has 4 sand paper pads of various coarse, then the power ball, then sealant to finish it off.

StangMahn 1/29/12 03:46 PM

nice floormats! :poke:

cpotts13 1/29/12 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn (Post 6238169)

Pahahahahah didnt even notice them.

Night_prowler22 1/29/12 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by cpotts13 (Post 6238147)
You use a drill. It has 4 sand paper pads of various coarse, then the power ball, then sealant to finish it off.

Oh guess the thing i found wasn't what i neede donline it was just a bottle of stuff. Guess there is a kit of it.

Originally Posted by StangMahn (Post 6238169)

ha ha, I knew after i seen it i should remove it My gf wanted to put them in there.:banghead:

Falco_03GT 1/29/12 05:47 PM

Yeahhhh blame it on the gf.... haha:nanadance::bs2:

cpotts13 1/29/12 05:53 PM

Go to the autoparts store and buy the kit.

Night_prowler22 1/29/12 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Falco_03GT (Post 6238258)
Yeahhhh blame it on the gf.... haha:nanadance::bs2:

I am LOL.

So do most leave the pipe running with the one single out and just replace the stock muffler? or do most make dual out and do you get a dual out muffler or what? I been watching videos and wow there some nice sounding V6's but all seem to have dual out at the back of the car. very nice.

cpotts13 1/29/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Night_prowler22
I am LOL.

So do most leave the pipe running with the one single out and just replace the stock muffler? or do most make dual out and do you get a dual out muffler or what? I been watching videos and wow there some nice sounding V6's but all seem to have dual out at the back of the car. very nice.

I think It is ugly to have duals without the cutouts..... just my opinion though