The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   SN95 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/)
-   -   Need some help with flood car plz (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/need-some-help-flood-car-plz-488702/)

j4gwig 10/27/10 11:24 AM

Need some help with flood car plz

My son drove or 35th ann.GT in the missisipi the other night,we have changed the oil twice, tranny fluids / rear end greese,drained the gas tank , dried the ecm out,all the seats carpet,dash + cluster,we have it running seems to be doing ok , but it seems like there's more noise around the serpentine belt, im worried that water could have got in the brake system/abs,power steering pump/steering rack,does anyone no if that is a possible and if so, how we can drain them,and change the fluids,the abs is making a buzzing noise or you think it justs needs to dry longer..any suggestions would help thank ..

rhumb 10/27/10 01:10 PM

Drove into the freak'n Mississippi! Like, what, he didn't see it, being only a mile wide who knows how long?:D

Anyways, how long and how deep was she soaking in Ol' Muddy? The real harm would come more from electrical gremlins than mechanical, though not to discount mechanical snafus. Power steering and brakes should be sealed up pretty tightly, unless he went periscope depth and water got in through the tops of the reservoirs. Do the brakes and steering seem to be operating normally (check VERY carefully in a large parking lot or something, don't want to get a negative result by, say, driving into a pond next).

At least he didn't drive into the Atlantic or something -- though being a large ocean, that's a bit harder to miss than some stupid little river -- as salt water will really put a voodoo hex on just about anything and everything in a car, i.e., tell Captain Courageous to start saving up for a 50th Anniversary Stang while you drag the U.S.S. Seahorse off to the scrap yard.

cinque35 10/27/10 01:44 PM

:eek: You're lucky it's running at all.. I drove my dad's Caravan through a deep puddle once and it seized the engine!

Funny thing is the next day when we had it towed to the dealer they couldn't figure out why it seized and they replaced the entire motor under warrantee.

karman 10/27/10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cinque35 (Post 5967473)
:eek: You're lucky it's running at all.. I drove my dad's Caravan through a deep puddle once and it seized the engine!

Funny thing is the next day when we had it towed to the dealer they couldn't figure out why it seized and they replaced the entire motor under warranty.

And people wonder why dealerships give them hard times about major failures.:lol:

cdynaco 10/27/10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rhumb (Post 5967452)
Power steering and brakes should be sealed up pretty tightly, unless he went periscope depth and water got in through the tops of the reservoirs.

Ditto on the power steering. The fluid is in a loop thru the rack and therefore the seals are well designed to withstand internal hydraulic pressure. As long as there's no water in the ps reservoir the rack should be fine.

j4gwig 10/27/10 05:31 PM

Mustang tough ,under 7 feet of water two days ago and running like a top today says alot about the pony dont you all think

j4gwig 11/7/12 07:38 PM

2years later ,,still going ,,

rmurer 11/7/12 08:25 PM

this man right here...updating a thread 2 years later.

vinnygt 11/7/12 08:38 PM

Lol. Gotta say tho. That cars a beast

Evil_Capri 11/8/12 04:44 AM

Moving to 'SN95' section, but will leave a link for today. Glad the car is still running strong.