The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   SN95 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/)
-   -   1996 GT Pats Problem (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f693/1996-gt-pats-problem-546662/)

SNVitty 3/16/19 07:35 PM

1996 GT Pats Problem

Hi,
My name is Corey, I'm new to the forum and looking for pats help! I have a '96 gt convertible and I'd like to try to figure out why it's not reading the key.

The Story
I was suffering from denial. I have a 94 f150 running a 351 with ported heads, intake, long tubes, true dual, 4 inch lift, 33in A/Ts, and a few other goodies... and a certain lead footed driver. I was certain I was getting 30 mpg driving all over Texas. Turns out my estimate was slightly off.
I have since come to accept that honesty with ones self is important. I decided I needed a more efficient vehicle. While shopping around I found the perfect solution! A brand new to me 1996 gt convertible! (3x the mpg!) I talked the seller down to $400 because it didn't start and they couldn't figure it out. (In my head, at $400 I could get it and swap in a 302 if I got tired of messing around with the 4.6.) The only thing is the car doesn't run and the theft light flashes.

What I have tried.
At first the car wouldn't turn over, and the fan was constantly running. Figured that out and swapped the CCRM for one that I know works. Something still wasn't right and I pulled the ecm to have a look at it and found out it was for a crown vic with an automatic. -_-

Swapped in a proper ecm, put in a new fuel pump and a good test battery. Everything seems to be working well, the car even turns on and runs for a second. However the car won't stay on and the theft light flashes. After some digging I believe it's the PATS.
I have tried swapping the transciever and the pats unit itself, I have had a locksmith out with a full diagnostic system, tried different keys, all to no avail.

From what I know thus far...
The PATS (Which is type A) is not reading a key. *Note: NOT THAT IT SEES THE WRONG KEY BUT THAT IT DOESN'T SEE A KEY AT ALL. From my research I can tell that it sees no key because the light doesn't flash for 15 minutes (so I can't reprogram it). It only flashes for 60 seconds.
I don't want to need an SCT tuner to use my car at all, but I will if I have to. I have searched so much for the last 7 months and have found no real information for how to address this specific problem. I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me out.

Poco 5/12/19 09:34 AM

Did you swap out the dash cluster? If so the board in the replacement doesn't match the original board that came with the car. I had that problem..it may not be your problem. I took apart the the cluster and swapped out the boards and then my car would start. Its an easy task step by step process if have to go that route. I hope its that simple for you to fix. There is a lot of info on u-tube about PATS and I would start there to help trouble shoot your issue.