05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Tweeter Pods, pretty easy mod

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/11, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeter Pods, pretty easy mod

I just wanted to share my experience. I made some tweeter pods where my mirror control was located. It was fairly easy. For smaller projects fiberglass isn't necessary. Instead you can use a cotton rag or an old cotton t-shirt and some thin superglue.

First I mounted the tweeter with some super glue. You could also make a wood mount if you want to make the tweeter removeable, but I was in a hurry so I didn't take the extra time to do that.

Next take a cotton rag/t-shirt and drape it over the top of everything. Next take some duct tape and stretch the shirt and tape it to the back of your panel. So now the shirt is nice and tight, while your tweeter is under the shirt also.

Now take your super glue. I used the locktight superglue that I got at Home Depot. Just make sure whatever superglue you use, it's really thin. You could also go to the hobby store and get ca glue. Anyways pore the superglue all over the shirt. It will take a little while because it doesn't come out very fast. The shirt will actually start to smoke a bit, but I think it's the reaction from the superglue. The shirt will start to harden, just make sure you don't get near your tweeter grill!!

Let it set for a while until it drys, it won't take very long. Next you can cut off the extra fabric and tape on the back side. You can also cut off the fabric over the tweeter. Now you'll probably want to put some tape over the tweeter only because we don't want to get any body filler on it.

Take your body filler/bondo and apply a small coat over the harden fabric. You don't need much because you should have a pretty nice looking piece already. This will just make sure everything is nice and smooth. Let it dry then sand.

And that's it! You could either wrap it like I did or you could paint it. Either way should turn out great!

Here's what my finished tweeter pod turned out like....

I wish I took pictures along the way, but I didn't expect them to turn out as good as they did. lol It was my first time making anything like this and it was actually super easy. The longest part was just sanding them.

For the driver side tweeter you'll have to move the mirror control, which I haven't done yet, but I'm just going to move it to my door.
Old 3/24/11, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice job , you sure can't tell you made it out of a t-shirt and superglue ...
Old 3/24/11, 12:35 PM

I know! I read up alot about the process before I attemped trying it. You can sand the super glue pretty smooth if you don't want to add any body filler, but I had slight waves in the fabric from the super glue weighing it down. Nothing to noticeable, but I wanted to get it perfect.
Old 4/11/11, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

That looks awesome! The smoke was from the reaction of the superglue with the cotton in the t-shirt.
Old 4/12/11, 05:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Those are pretty nice, I am going to be making some custom door panels for my 89 soon and this write up should help a little bit. I used this technique before while building custom speaker boxes only using fiber glass resin and not superglue. T-shirts are much easier to work with the cotton is much more flexible and soaks the resin/glue in better than the strips for smaller areas around the frame.

Thanks for sharing.