05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Steering wheel emblem HELP!, How do you remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/09, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this is a related thread, I figure I would show you all what I did to mine after the black paint started chipping off. I stripped the remaining black paint off and used aluminum polish to make it smooth.

Old 12/21/10, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backafter20
Ok, the final result. Overall, it looks nice, but the epoxy is soft and rubbery. I'll have to be careful not to scratch it. I think the plastic backer plate I made was essential to keep it smooth. I painted the edges of the plastic a gloss black to make it disappear. I hated cutting the rubber fins off the wheel, but that was the only way to make it work. Use a new blade so you don't have to push too hard. Pushing hard will increase the chances of slippage and doing damage elsewhere, and the horn honks. Incidentally, I can't seem to find a source for the Saleen caps anymore, even from Saleen. Did they quit making them? Still no reply from MakingItDigital on creating a custom emblem. I'd still buy one from Shelby if they would just make one...
Very nice. Looks factory.
Old 12/24/10, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
The emblem is part of the air bag, not the steering wheel, and can not be removed. I know this for a fact as I have replaced the GT steering wheel and air bag with the GT 500 steering wheel and air bag.
Originally Posted by Willie
The center cap emblem is made of nothing but thin tin metal. It can be pryed off with a couple of small screwdrivers. It's held in place with six thin tabs, nothing more. It took me about two minutes to remove it. Here are some pics.

Willie
just reading through this thread because i was bored.....

this is always funny to me....

someone states "FACTS" then 5 posts down are PROVED COMPLETELY TOTALLY WRONG..

just awesome, awesome
Old 11/15/16, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Willie
The center cap emblem is made of nothing but thin tin metal. It can be pryed off with a couple of small screwdrivers. It's held in place with six thin tabs, nothing more. It took me about two minutes to remove it. Here are some pics.

Willie
I realize this is an old post but do you remember if you had to disconnect the battery? (if only out of safety)
Old 11/16/16, 10:41 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
You do not need to disconnect the battery if all you are doing is removing the emblem.
If you are removing the airbag to take off the emblem then it is recommended to disconnect the battery.