05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pulled the trigger on the factory NAV system!

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/07, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the factory NAV system!

I was SOLD upon seeing pix of the NAV system in another thread. Ordered it yesterday from Kevin at Clevenger Ford. It's pricey but he took good care of me!

It CAN be programmed to run the Shaker 1000 system. KC says that not everyone can program the NAV system to do this - as a matter of fact if you just buy it from a dealer without the special programming it will NOT work.

KC says it will be about two weeks before delivery due to programming. I'll post pix of the install and report how it runs the Shaker 1000 when I get it!!
Old 3/16/07, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!

I'll be looking forward to your report. So, is the programming only when replacing a Shaker 1000, or a Shaker 500 too?

Once it's programmed, is it a simple install that anyone could do?

Lastly, aside from looks, is it functionally the same as the Pioneer AVIC-D3?
Old 3/16/07, 11:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

dude, if it works for you then this will be my next mod, i wonder if you can get the thing to read the cars stats like RPM, speed, Volts and things like that, PM me once you get it and start the install or just keep posting up man
Old 3/17/07, 01:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Navigation systems are for wimps.
Old 3/17/07, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Guys, I posted in another thread that I purchased the upgrade Nav unit from another vendor and it works as if it was OEM. Well, it IS OEM. They ALL have to be programmed for your vehicle. If you take the base part out of the box and install it in any car it will not function correctly. Must be programmed. Also the GT500 and Mustang are DIFFERENT due to different data streams and therefore program differently.

I can already confirm that the upgrade works great but are available from other authorized Visteon dealers for less $$ and with OEM warranty coverage. I have had mine working fine for a couple weeks now.
Old 3/17/07, 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

well jc if you could get the actual visteon part numbers, maybe that could be done. Because as far as the customer service at visteon, they claim there is no such upgrade kit available. You now how much i hate companies that dont even know what they have!!!!!! Anyway you can call the guys that did it for you and get some numbers etc. Thanks
Old 3/17/07, 10:26 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Can someone PM me with the pricing on the OEM NAV?
Old 3/17/07, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i wish i could have a visteon dealer near me but no such luck and around here the ford dealers to not really understand "RETROFIT", i go to KC because he knows what i am talking about when i need a part off of another model mustang, the dealers around here even told me they could not sell me a GT/CS front bumper because i did not have a VIN number and then another dealer said they could get it but it was like twice the price KC is selling it for
Old 3/17/07, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just got a reply back from Kevin about pricing for the Nav unit to replace a Shaker 500, and he doesn't have a price yet, but will soon. (Edit: I did get the price in a second email)

One thing though is that the Visteon dealer Bob from Chicago mentioned to me that the iPod Trip Tunes Advanced is compatible with the OEM unit, and is the way to go to use iPod with it. Kevin, however, said that Trip Tunes Advanced is not compatible. So there still is some confusion about all of this, that will not be cleared up until more TMS members get the OEM Nav unit, and get their iPods working with it.

I am sold on the OEM unit vs the Pioneer AVIC-D3 based on appearance alone, but I have to admit that it's a lot more money to go the OEM route. And I'm also not sure if the AVIC-D3 is actually a better unit or not? Anyone know?
Old 3/17/07, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I ordered the unit from Kevin - he has been extremely helpful and his pricing for the NAV unit is in line with what you would pay by ticking the order sheet when you buy a new car. (hint hint)

The kit as described to me includes a manual, the NAV unit, the navigation DVD ROM, GPS antenna, and the programming to make it compatible with your existing radio setup (ie, regular, 500, or 1000). Interestingly enough, he also needs to know if your car is a couple or Vert, since that would be a difference in programming.

I was sold on the factory unit vs. the Pioneer because I don't like the look of "aftermarket" car stereos hanging out of my dash - and the pix I have seen of other members' installs quite frankly didn't impress me. (not putting you folks down, it's just not my cup of tea) Yes I probably paid more than the Pioneer folks did, but to me it's worth it to keep the "factory" look of the dash.

Once I receive the unit I will take lots of pix of what arrives in the mail and create a "Taco Bill" style install guide.

Rest assured, I'll try and clear up as many questions as I can! After all, I am being a guinea pig here...
Old 3/18/07, 04:51 AM

Now I would love to have this set up, but I'm curious is there any mod that can be done to the Nav unit to get it to play DVD's??
Old 3/18/07, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sodaman
well jc if you could get the actual visteon part numbers, maybe that could be done. Because as far as the customer service at visteon, they claim there is no such upgrade kit available. You now how much i hate companies that dont even know what they have!!!!!! Anyway you can call the guys that did it for you and get some numbers etc. Thanks

The part number for the Nav unit is 7R3T18K931AC but that will not get you a complete upgrade 'kit'

Contact Bob, or Kevin and see what they tell you. Both have supplied working upgrade kits to members of this forum. You need to order an complete upgrade package programmed for your car, not a part number.

If you pull the unit out of my car and install it in yours, it will not function.

Bob supplied me the complete kit including antenna, nav unit and software DVD. All brand new OEM at a very fair price. It works great and I love the unit.
Old 3/18/07, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I also want to do this mod, but exactly what does the OEM unit do? Is it only a radio/CD player and GPS? Or does it have more functions?

Someone please let me know?

Cheers
Old 3/19/07, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

It plays MP3 cds, has optional add on modules for sat radio, Ipod and bluetooth. Dont know anyone with all of those attached though. Does not play DVDs.
Old 3/19/07, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
No DVD, huh? Not so sure I want to go this route, then.

Thanks!
Old 3/19/07, 04:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

is there a way to get some stats of the car on the screen
Old 3/19/07, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim010
No DVD, huh? Not so sure I want to go this route, then.

Thanks!
Looks like you can get an add on piece that allows you to play DVDs here:
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ford-navigation-system.html
Old 3/20/07, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by spike
Looks like you can get an add on piece that allows you to play DVDs here:
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ford-navigation-system.html
Ugh... that looks like an add-on POS. I don't need to watch DVDs THAT bad...

Actually, the only hack I am interested in is the one that gets rid of the Ford "legalese" that apparently shows up when you first turn the key.

Anyone know more about this?
Old 3/20/07, 12:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am the one that posted the link about the dvd add on. The only thing is you have to have another dvd player for it to work. I have the mobile ease bluetooth unit in my car it works fine with the nav unit. I would also like to bypass the nag message, but I don't think it would be as easy as an aftermarket unit. The main thing I wish it had was more detail in the map DVDs. It freaks out at home and if I get off the main roads, but hey thats the price I pay for living the the boonies.
Old 3/21/07, 02:22 AM
Cobra Member

I think I'll stick to my plan of building a carputer.

-Deric

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the factory NAV system!