05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC-D1 vs Eclipse AVN5435

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/05, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've searched and read the forum posts regarding these headunits, also searched online for information on both. It looks like you can only use the Pioneer navigation when parked so that means the passenger cannot use it while moving. Can anyone confirm if this is true and also if the passenger can use the Eclipse while the car is moving?

I am trying to decide which of these two to get. I don't care about DVD playback. Also does anyone know if either of these is upgradable to play AAC audio files? Thanks for any help.
Old 10/3/05, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by withinavoid@October 3, 2005, 4:41 PM
I've searched and read the forum posts regarding these headunits, also searched online for information on both. It looks like you can only use the Pioneer navigation when parked so that means the passenger cannot use it while moving. Can anyone confirm if this is true and also if the passenger can use the Eclipse while the car is moving?

I am trying to decide which of these two to get. I don't care about DVD playback. Also does anyone know if either of these is upgradable to play AAC audio files? Thanks for any help.
I've now installed two Pioneer AVIC-D1 units; one in my Toyota Tacoma and one in my Mustang. The AVIC-D1 is the double-din size unit; it does not have DVD playback capability. The AVIC-N2 is the newer single-din size unit which will play DVDs. Both use the internal GPS sensors to disable all navigation and DVD (on the N2) functions while the vehicle is moving. I suggest you Google the phrase "AVIC-D1 bypass", however, and read the results of that search - might ease your mind about purchasing the D1. I can't help you with your question about AAC files as I don't know what those are! I can help you locate the VSS wire on the '05 Mustang, however; do a search for the other threads on that subject.
Old 10/3/05, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Googled for the bypass and you are right, seems easy enough to enable use of the Nav while moving as long as you do not connect the VSS? Were you able to do this hack while still hooking up the VSS wire?

AAC files are mpeg4 audio, IMO better sound quality at a lower bitrate than MP3. The new Pioneer and Kenwood units support it but these older models don't. I was hoping this unit was software upgradable somehow. But I guess that wouldn't help them sell newer units!
Old 10/5/05, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I went ahead last night and ordered a AVIC-D1 from Crutchfield for $1199 after $300 rebate. This morning I notice they bumped the price up another $100 to $1299. I know you can find these units elsewhere for $1050 or maybe even lower but I went ahead and paid the extra cash with Crutchfield since they have great support and kits/harnesses. Just wanted to let anyone know in case they were looking for the same thing.
Old 10/6/05, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Be sure to post details of your install once your are done. Thx.
Old 10/6/05, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by StangLove@October 6, 2005, 3:57 PM
Be sure to post details of your install once your are done. Thx.
Do a search, StangLove; several of us have installed the AVIC-D1. You'll find pictures; detailed description of where to find the VSS wire; lots of good stuff.
Old 10/10/05, 05:21 AM
V6 Member

Does anyone have the Eclipse AVN5435? I know I saw pics of it in somebody's stang. I can't find anything on Eclipse's site on whether or not the screen is detachable for security, does anyone know?
Old 10/10/05, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by andrewplen@October 10, 2005, 7:24 AM
Does anyone have the Eclipse AVN5435? I know I saw pics of it in somebody's stang. I can't find anything on Eclipse's site on whether or not the screen is detachable for security, does anyone know?
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=32657
Old 10/26/05, 07:20 AM

So the AVIC-N2 does both navigation and DVD? I've been looking for one that did both but all I could find was either or.
Old 10/26/05, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by jeffd2385@October 26, 2005, 7:23 AM
So the AVIC-N2 does both navigation and DVD? I've been looking for one that did both but all I could find was either or.
Yep, the AVIC-N2 is a single-din unit that does both. You'll have to be stopped with the parking brake engaged to watch a DVD on it. Unless you do a Google search on the phrase "bypass AVIC-N2".

The AVIC-D1 is a double-din unit that won't play DVDs out of the box, but you can connect an external DVD player to it.
Old 10/26/05, 08:33 AM

I think I'll go with the AVIC-N1 becaue I did some searching and they said the N2 can't be bypassed. N1 - just ground parking break wire, for the N2 they said the satellite receiver will still know the car is moving and will disable the DVD playback after a minute or so.

Plus, the N1 calculates how many Gs your pulling, angular velocity and all that other cool stuff you always wanted to know :drive:
Old 10/27/05, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just an update, I've had the AVIC-D1 installed for over a week with the bypass and really like it. It doesn't play DVDs but that was not important to me. The cheap backup/reverse camera I got from ebay works good as well but not in all lighting conditions. The bypass enabled use of the Nav while driving but it still does an annoying thing... Anytime it starts up in map mode it has a full screen warning that you have to touch "ok" for it to go away. It does the same thing if you startup in audio mode and then switch to map. I really hope someone figures out a way to remove that nag screen.
Old 10/27/05, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by withinavoid@October 27, 2005, 10:42 AM
Just an update, I've had the AVIC-D1 installed for over a week with the bypass and really like it. It doesn't play DVDs but that was not important to me. The cheap backup/reverse camera I got from ebay works good as well but not in all lighting conditions. The bypass enabled use of the Nav while driving but it still does an annoying thing... Anytime it starts up in map mode it has a full screen warning that you have to touch "ok" for it to go away. It does the same thing if you startup in audio mode and then switch to map. I really hope someone figures out a way to remove that nag screen.
Yeah, that nav screen warning is really annoying - but I haven't yet found a way to disable it or get around it. At least the bypass got rid of the "you connected the parking brake ground wire improperly" warning screen - I was really getting tired of that one. I really like this D1 unit now that all its functions are opened up - should be like that from the factory.
Old 11/5/05, 10:34 PM
Yan

So which is ultimately better? Pioneer or Eclipse?
Old 11/6/05, 06:20 AM
GT Member

i bought my first eclipse in 1991 for $300 and it is now in my fathers MGB and works as good as it did the day i bought it i have owned kenwood ,jvc,alpine,blau., but i honestly have never owned a pioneer ,not because i didnt like them they do make some quality units all i can speek for is eclipse ,i have owned 5 eclipse head units including my current unit in an 05 F150 and out of all the other eclipse have the best sound q. they generally dont have all the bells and whistles but seems that the new ones have a lot more options ,when i have $$ i will go with the avn5435 i have seen this unit with all the options and it is awsome ,and also esn theft recovery really works i know first hand !!91 mustang lx conv. had an cd8445 stolen sent in a copy of the police report took two weeks and i had a brand new unit so i say eclipse,
Old 11/7/05, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Yan@November 5, 2005, 11:37 PM
So which is ultimately better? Pioneer or Eclipse?
It really depends on what you are buying it for. If you want to play DVDs go Eclipse. If you want to pay less money go Pioneer. Thats how I looked at it. The Eclipse has higher voltage pre-outs so it would be better suited to a high-end audio system. It also has digital signal processing, which is very cool, my Alpine does that and its really nice to delay each speaker so they arrive to your ears at the same time. The Pioneer I hear has a better resolution screen for navigation, mine looks great. I think both are great buys, just base your decision on whether you want DVD playback or not. You can always add DVD playback, or an iPod video, or Xbox/PS2, to the Pioneer AV input.