The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   New system install with amp rack and sub! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/new-system-install-amp-rack-sub-476186/)

tdbrown75 1/10/09 08:20 AM

Thanks again for the complements guys! I thought it looked good but I did not expect such positive feedback! It's not real blingy, I wanted it to flow with the "clean" theme I have tried to stick with when modding the rest of the car.

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs (Post 5725284)
Looks incredible Tim, outstanding job!! Where did you end up getting the carpet covering? Looks like a nice match to the existing trunk covering.

I checked with a number of audio shops in the area, none of which had a good match. Believe it or not I ended up finding this material at Best Buy! They keep it in the back where they perform installations, it's sold in a bag and comes in a folded square. It was about $10 a bag and I needed two to cover the rack and sub.

Tim

EastCoast07GtCs 1/10/09 08:26 AM

Very nice, and good info!!

05PRMTX 6/30/11 12:05 PM

Amazing install! This also helped me out as I am gettting plans set for my system. Its nice to see there is actually hope to fit all my equipment in my car!

tdbrown75 6/30/11 08:13 PM

I'm glad you found it helpful! Good luck with your install and let me know if you have any questions.

Tim

05PRMTX 7/1/11 11:33 AM

Thank you! Actually looking through the pics again it made me think of one. For the radio did you have to use the expensive replacement harness ofr the shaker system(PAC C2R-FRD1) or would it work to just get a standard harness for that year of mustang? I was wondering since I will be bypassing the factory amps like you did.

tdbrown75 7/1/11 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX (Post 6099424)
Thank you! Actually looking through the pics again it made me think of one. For the radio did you have to use the expensive replacement harness ofr the shaker system(PAC C2R-FRD1) or would it work to just get a standard harness for that year of mustang? I was wondering since I will be bypassing the factory amps like you did.

The standard harness works fine, no need to get the expensive one. I used the following (you do not need the smaller RCA connector harness if bypassing the factory amps):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3Pbh6Qd...705521&tp=2977

You may even be able to save a few bucks more if you can get the one without the second RCA harness, but $20 seemed reasonable enough to me.

Tim

adrenalin 7/1/11 12:55 PM

Looks awesome.

05PRMTX 7/1/11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tdbrown75 (Post 6099448)
The standard harness works fine, no need to get the expensive one. I used the following (you do not need the smaller RCA connector harness if bypassing the factory amps):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3Pbh6Qd...705521&tp=2977

You may even be able to save a few bucks more if you can get the one without the second RCA harness, but $20 seemed reasonable enough to me.

Tim

Ok great! Yea that is plenty reasonable. Thanks for the info.

musshoss 7/6/11 03:36 PM

how did you measure it perfectly so the seats would close and the amp would drop in like that?

pegasusphototx 7/8/11 07:41 PM

@Musshoss He's uber anal about things like this. I imagine that he measured it 100 times, then went and measured it another 100 times ;-)

He does great work, he installed my system and it's top notch!

-danny

tdbrown75 7/8/11 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by musshoss (Post 6102016)
how did you measure it perfectly so the seats would close and the amp would drop in like that?

Look closely at the pictures again. The amps are not mounted to the back of the seats, they are mounted to a board which is secured to the rack (not the seats). The seats just fold up and hide the rack. Make sense? And as Pegasusphototx states, I did measure LOTS of times to get everything to line up just the way I liked it.

Tim

RobDis 7/15/11 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tdbrown75 (Post 6103275)
Look closely at the pictures again. The amps are not mounted to the back of the seats, they are mounted to a board which is secured to the rack (not the seats). The seats just fold up and hide the rack. Make sense? And as Pegasusphototx states, I did measure LOTS of times to get everything to line up just the way I liked it.

Tim

I used this thread as inspiration for my amp/crossover rack. I will have some pics soon. Still tidying things up a bit. I went with a little simpler install due to space for my amps and trying not to add as much weight as possible. Plus I will more than likely be making some tweaks to the design in the future so im keeping it as simple as possible. So thank you for posting these pics and writeup! They really helped me a ton!

05PRMTX 7/15/11 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by RobDis (Post 6106425)
I used this thread as inspiration for my amp/crossover rack. I will have some pics soon. Still tidying things up a bit. I went with a little simpler install due to space for my amps and trying not to add as much weight as possible. Plus I will more than likely be making some tweaks to the design in the future so im keeping it as simple as possible. So thank you for posting these pics and writeup! They really helped me a ton!

+1 to that! i'm working on the radio and speakers. The amps are up next

tdbrown75 7/17/11 07:29 PM

I'm happy to hear you have found this thread helpful, be sure and post a link with some pics when you get your systems done!

Tim

crummyarchitect 7/25/11 08:23 PM

I like that sub box, I'm wanting to custom build one because the two I have found that were made for mustangs were so expensive but I haven't seen that one. How big of a sub will it hold, or do they make it in multiple sizes? If you don't mind how much was it and did it have the sub or not? Or the simplest, point me to where you got it and I can research myself. Ha ha. Thanks, and nice install.

RobDis 7/25/11 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it's not 100% done yet but here is what I have so far. Built the speaker box out of MDF and Fiberglass. Molded to really fit. Had some problems with leaks in the box at first but I got those sorted out now! The bass shakes the whole car! And with the windows down so the compression is relieved it carries and carries! I still need to button everything down and hide a few wires then I will be done. I have the crossover and Mid amp mounted on the inside and the sub amp mounted on the trunk side. I may be buying a Kicker ZX700.5 in the future to run everything and then I'll have it all mounted inside and it will all be hidden.

tdbrown75 7/27/11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobDis (Post 6111305)
Well it's not 100% done yet but here is what I have so far. Built the speaker box out of MDF and Fiberglass. Molded to really fit. Had some problems with leaks in the box at first but I got those sorted out now! The bass shakes the whole car! And with the windows down so the compression is relieved it carries and carries! I still need to button everything down and hide a few wires then I will be done. I have the crossover and Mid amp mounted on the inside and the sub amp mounted on the trunk side. I may be buying a Kicker ZX700.5 in the future to run everything and then I'll have it all mounted inside and it will all be hidden.

Looking great so far!

Tim

05PRMTX 7/28/11 11:20 AM

Yea looks great! Im trying to do somthing similar, but without using fiberglass. Not sure how well its going ot fit without glass.

05PRMTX 7/28/11 11:30 AM

I looked up the Scosche Custom-fit Subwoofer enclosure, but they dont seem to make it anymore. does anyone know if there is somewhere it can still be bought?

RobDis 7/28/11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX (Post 6112579)
Yea looks great! Im trying to do somthing similar, but without using fiberglass. Not sure how well its going ot fit without glass.

This first box is turning into more of a test run. I think I can actually make the box smaller. Using less material and may get some better sound results. I put half of a pillow in the box and that improved the response of the sub a little. I have a few more tricks up my sleave as well to try. Im going to tune the sound a little with a port and see if that makes a difference.