05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Need help with wiring for footwell courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/06 | 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Need help with wiring for footwell courtesy lights

All, I'm trying to wire up footwell courtesy lights to my '07 GT/CS vert and am having a hard time figuring out the wiring. Please see my excerpt below from back when I did this on my '05 GT coupe....I have the same wire scheme in the '07.....but what is strange is that when I test the green wire with yellow stripe - it is on the opposite cycle as the map light courtesy circuit....it's off while the courtesy map lights are on then gradually brightens (as the map lights dim) and comes on full when they are off. The black wire w/blue stripe is on all the time.....I'm reluctant to experiment and risk blowing fuses....has anyone else added footwell courtesy lights on an '07?

From my '05 Post:
This weekend I was installing Dynamat and securing a headliner rattle and decided to look into the footwell light wiring. I traced the harness back from the overhead map lights across the headliner and down the passenger side "A Pillar". If you remove the passenger side A Pillar trim piece (just pops out with several clips) you will see a single wiring harness. Midway up the pillar you will see a connector and I unwrapped the harness from the downside connector about 5 inches.
I then used two 22 - 16 guage wire taps to tap into the Light Green w/ Yellow stripe wire and the Black w/ Blue stripe. Then I ran the two wires down the A pillar (following the harness) through the dash to the back of the glove box area. I then routed the wires across the rear of the center stack into the driver's footwell area.
Until my parts arrive (see above post) I temporarly connected two side marker sockets/bulbs and it looks great to have the footwells lighted with the rest of the illuminated entry system.....
Old 12/6/06 | 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

bump....anybody
Old 12/6/06 | 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you want the floor lights to be on when a door is open and be off when a door is shut? Or do you want the floor light to follow the same cycle as the map light?
Old 12/6/06 | 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you see a delay module anyplace after you remove the map light panel or after you trace the wiring?

Courtesy Light Delay Module

American Autowire is pleased to introduce the Courtesy Light Delay Module; the newest addition to the extensive product line. The Courtesy Light Delay Module allows the courtesy light to remain illuminated for a user defined amount of time or until the ignition is switched on. At the end of the timed delay,the courtesy light will gradually fade to dark.The Courtesy Light Delay Module has only three (3) wire connections making installation simple. The connections consist of 1 (one) ground; 1 (one) courtesy ground (for lighting); and 1 (one) wire to accessory power. The Courtesy Light Delay Module is fully adjustable from 17 to 80 seconds allowing the user to customize their preferred delay time. With the addition of this new accessory for Street Rodders, American Autowire maintains their rank in the marketplace as the number one manufacturer of Street Rod accessories and OEM reproduction harnesses.
Part number 500777
List Price $59.00
http://www.americanautowire.com/products/#Product2
Attached Images  
Old 12/6/06 | 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oops. Looks like this has already been solved in another thread.

Thanks to ChrisM. Post #7
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=57330
Old 12/11/06 | 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Do you want the floor lights to be on when a door is open and be off when a door is shut? Or do you want the floor light to follow the same cycle as the map light?

Neil - thanks for the reply - I did just write up the entire mod in the "An Inexpensiver Interior Mod" thread above. Turned out the wiring was the exact same as my '05 GT - just had a bunch more due to the vert top switch and Active alarm motion sensors all being in that overhead console as well.

What I set out to accomplish was simply have a footwell light that functions the same as the overhead map courtesy light circuit....