05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This could be one of the coolest projects ever for the Mustang. Very anxiously awaiting the writeup, no pressure.
Old 2/1/08, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deric, that looks so cool!!!! I can't wait for the write up.
Old 2/1/08, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

Added how-to to first post
Old 2/1/08, 11:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mods, please make sticky!

Need to take it to the next level and use three color LEDs so you can make your own "my-color" for the whole dash!!

Here is a quick movie of my MAME control panel showing the 3-color LEDs in action! (Groovy Game Gear hardware)
http://www.shortbuskids.org/users/sh...ture%20007.avi
Old 2/2/08, 08:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow - Deric I'll say this - you are out of your friggin' mind! Obivously this isn't a project to tackle if you're squeamish, have a short attention span, or shaky hands My car sits in the garage for a month at a time, every other month (I drive a company vehicle every other month) so that would be a good time to tackle something like this. I'm digging the blue too
Old 2/2/08, 08:59 AM

Man, that looks great. I wish I had the patience to do that.. how many hours did it take you to complete everything, from disassembly to resoldering to reassembly?
Old 2/2/08, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shatter
Need to take it to the next level and use three color LEDs so you can make your own "my-color" for the whole dash!!
Phase II will be a DIY ambient controlled by my CarPC. There are a few alternates out there for those not doing the CarPC thing.

Phase III involves making an overlay circuit that doesn't interefere with the switch operation that allows me to use the RGB LEDs. This will require me to make a harness for the LEDs but the only area I'm leary of is the steering wheel. I'm still scratching my head on this one a bit but I've talked to a few homebrew circuit board builders and they think its possible.

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Man, that looks great. I wish I had the patience to do that.. how many hours did it take you to complete everything, from disassembly to resoldering to reassembly?
Originally I thought it was about 2.5 hours but I took apart the radio again last night for pics and would estimate 3.5 hours total if I just hammered it out. Once you start going it goes by quick.

I still have one lock switch left and a few LEDs on the radio (had to order more since I had a few bad LEDs). I'm waiting on an acrylic shop to get my replacement Radio lens done as well since the original is green.
Old 2/2/08, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

hey just one question, where did you buy the LED lights from because ive looked an cant find them
Old 2/2/08, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deric, one word on this mod buddy....AMAZING!!!! If you lived closer to me, I would pay you whatever you wanted to do this for my car!!! I have the new D3 Nav, and those buttons match the MyColor, but the HVAC, cruise, Info & T/C, headlight, and window switches bore me to death in that murky green. That blue on teh Info buttons and HVAC switches are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 2/2/08, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Deric,

Why did you remove the display from the radio? Are you changing the color of that too?
Old 2/2/08, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07tungstengreyGT
hey just one question, where did you buy the LED lights from because ive looked an cant find them
I got them from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320168063663

They are 600mcd which is probably too bright since they are brighter than the Mycolor blue. 200 - 300mcd would probably be better.

Here's a shot to show the difference in output.

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Deric, one word on this mod buddy....AMAZING!!!! If you lived closer to me, I would pay you whatever you wanted to do this for my car!!! I have the new D3 Nav, and those buttons match the MyColor, but the HVAC, cruise, Info & T/C, headlight, and window switches bore me to death in that murky green. That blue on teh Info buttons and HVAC switches are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Keep up the good work.
Thanks - It's really not that hard to do. The hardest part is getting the door lock switch out of the handle assembly. If I were to do it over again I would heat the surrounding area with a hair dryer or low watt heat gun before I depressed the tabs.

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
Hey Deric,

Why did you remove the display from the radio? Are you changing the color of that too?
Yes I am awaiting a blue replacement from an acrylic shop
Old 2/2/08, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deric
Originally I thought it was about 2.5 hours but I took apart the radio again last night for pics and would estimate 3.5 hours total if I just hammered it out. Once you start going it goes by quick.

I still have one lock switch left and a few LEDs on the radio (had to order more since I had a few bad LEDs). I'm waiting on an acrylic shop to get my replacement Radio lens done as well since the original is green.
Sweet.. I'll have to do this some day, hopefully it won't take longer than a weekend (what takes you/others 2.5 hours will typically take me a weekend).
Old 2/2/08, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I was looking at the Red LEDs on Ebay, but they all have a 1300 mcd. Does this mean that they will be very bright and will be a lot brighter than the stock ones? Does the mcd value vary between the colors? I guess I could buy some of them and try them since they aren't that expensive.
Old 2/2/08, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I was looking at the Red LEDs on Ebay, but they all have a 1300 mcd. Does this mean that they will be very bright and will be a lot brighter than the stock ones? Does the mcd value vary between the colors? I guess I could buy some of them and try them since they aren't that expensive.
Depends on the recommended viewing angle. Some have the beam concentrated and come with a very high mcd rating. If you want one closer to stock I would not get the high brightness kind.
Old 2/2/08, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

ok i just ordered to packs of them so they should be here soon. all i need now is a 15 watt soldering iron and sucker an then ill be starting this. I cant wait.
Old 2/2/08, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Deric, you are the man!

I love what you have done, but this phase 3 you're talking about would be the ultimate for this mod. When do you think you'll have this figured out? Is it possible to have it tied in to the mycolor selection, or will it have a separate button?

Cheers
Old 2/2/08, 09:26 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I definately wanna see pics when you're all done!
Old 2/2/08, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Great write-up!

I don't hand out too many of these..
Old 2/2/08, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

^ Haha That's great.

I just bought ten of these red LEDs. I want to test them first to make sure they're close to the brightness of the MyColor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Pi...QQcmdZViewItem

They even have a picture of them installed in the Shaker.
Old 2/2/08, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow is all I can think of to say. That is cool but, too much(work-wise) for me to tackle. I have no patience when it comes to these kinds of things. Thumbs up to you though!

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)