05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/16, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwi4
Dude, that is way cool. Sorry, not much help on the lights though.
Old 2/8/16, 07:51 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwi4
Just Installed new switches for my electric pop out quarter windows and need the back lighting on those switches to match the factory green.I need some help finding a factory color match led.kiwi4
I may be of some help you too. I switched all my leds to blue and kept the puke green ones. If you need some LMK. $50 each, haha just kidding! :P
PM me if you want.

BTW what does popping out the quarter window do for the car? Just a cool effect or is there something practical to it? Looks really cool though.
Old 2/8/16, 07:55 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
Sorry to dig up an old thread... did you ever attach the pictures of how to do the headlight switch?
sorry dude didnt see your post. I didnt upload the pics.
What i ended up doing was removing the bulb all together and installing a LED with resistor. I then wiped out the green film from the inside of the switch.

Ill be away for 3 weeks but if you still want pics, LMK and ill post them when I come back.
Old 2/11/16, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah pictures would be great if you have them.
Old 7/3/17, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kankles
Only thing I was not able to complete is the TCS LED because it does not look like a PLCC-2 or PLCC-4 LED. I dont have mycolor (info/setup/reset) so if anyone knows how to fix that LED, please PM me.

Didnt take too long to do this mod... outstanding write ups on all LED's. I have soldered a hand full of times... I went through 2 soldering iron tips (tips broke off prolly due to user errror). If replacing cluster LED's, get a very fine point solder tip (the 4 solder points per PLCC-4 LED are pretty small).

Tap Plastics has the blue face for the radio and they also have the blue lighting type sheet for the odometer (I think they said it was an acetone roll). The blue radio plastic I got for $1 and the sheet for the odometer was under $4.

The dimensions for the blue radio face were mentioned earlier - 1/8" thick, 4" wide, 1-1/8" long (needs to be filed down)... it will come wrapped in a protective film/tape so that you wont scratch it. Dont take it off until you sand down the front corners of the plate to round it out... I scratched 1 of them and was not able to buff it out to my liking. I also got glue on one of them on the 2nd attempt and had to trash that one too. Thats when I decided only to glue the top of the plastic piece to the shaker face. The super glue will leave a residue that should wipe off (dont apply to heavy). Dont install until you wipe it off or else the back side of the plastic will look foggy (I used a Q-tip).

Lights turn out with different dimmness in comparing the radio and the cluster (likely due to my not matching up the power of the LED's I guess), but it still looks better than the green IMO. And the odometer blue acetone sheet turned out to be a green/blue tinge... I noticed that when I wet sanded the back side of the green odometer film down, it seemed to me to be a yellowish tint. Yellow + blue = green or it is at least blue/greenish. I put three layers of the acetone sheeting on top of each other to try to get it as blue as I thought I could BTW.

Anyways, thanks those that made the How-to's... Made this so doable!
Your lights look amazing! Where did you purchase the LEDs? I'd like to do this mod but am afraid of purchasing leds that don't match my dash lights color-wise. I have minor ocd about things like that!
Old 5/25/18, 06:18 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone know what leds we need in order to change the leds behind the NON-my color cluster? I'm not shy about soldering at all, just need to know the led required for them.
Old 9/30/23, 01:55 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,871 Posts
2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)

Very Interesting Mod!

Enjoy,

KC