05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

How to turn off the seat belt reminder

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/05 | 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I finally figured out WHY the procedure in the manual did NOT disable that annoying seat belt reminder when you first start the car. It's not designed too! The procedure on 92-93 (for 05) or 96 (for 06 I think) is to turn off the "BeltMinder" function. This thing just "reminds" you intermitently to hook up your seat belt.

So, before the normal "just use your seatbelt" crowd jumps in, here is the problem: My normal start up procedure for just about ANY vehicle I have ever driven involves getting in, starting the engine, putting on my seat belt and plugging in the radar detector (if applicable!) and taking car of any "pre driving" business as needed. I always want to start the engine the very first thing to give it a few extra seconds to warm up and get the oil well distributed while I am taking care of the other stuff. And yes, I KNOW I could just buckle up first and then start the car. For those of you with that reply, please feel free to quite smoking and drinking before you post that bit of sage advice...

Is there anyway of disabling the bloody seat belt buzzer? I would prefer to just disable that particular function instead of locating and lobodamizing the buzzer itself. If I leave the lights on or something else along those lines, I wouldn't mind the car giving me a heads up. But I want it to SHUT THE HECK UP about the seat belts. I wear them religiously, but I do not put them on in the order that this car seems to think is correct.

Stupid "Big Mommy" government....
Old 11/10/05 | 05:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Read the 2005 Owner's Manual - page 92 "Deactivating/Activating the BeltMinder feature.
Old 11/10/05 | 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the same 'startup procedure' as you. I like to start her up first then go with the seatbelt. It hasn't bothered me that much, but I'd be interested if someone knows an easy way to disabled that buzzer for just the seatbelt without causing any safety issues. There's probably a sensor switch in the belt housing, maybe I'll fool with it when I get time or if it bugs me more.
Old 11/10/05 | 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

You're probably beyond the point of doing anything effective regard changing settings.

I'd look at the belt receiver itself, see what switch gets tripped when the belt is inserted into it and find a way (depending on which way it works) to make it on or off permanently.

Just like the traction control, you can't turn it off permanently (that I know of). Just the way the safety stuff works.
Old 11/11/05 | 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally posted by withinavoid@November 10, 2005, 8:04 PM
I have the same 'startup procedure' as you. I like to start her up first then go with the seatbelt. It hasn't bothered me that much, but I'd be interested if someone knows an easy way to disabled that buzzer for just the seatbelt without causing any safety issues. There's probably a sensor switch in the belt housing, maybe I'll fool with it when I get time or if it bugs me more.
Wait, there is a buzzer? I've never heard anything buzz when I start my car without my seatbelt on . I have heard it beep at me 6 times for not having my seatbelt on, but never has it buzzed at me.
Old 11/11/05 | 08:30 AM
V6 Member

Mine doesn't kick on unless I drive for a bit first. In the manual I remember seeing something like if you drive for 30 seconds over 5 mph, the beep will go off if you're not wearing your belt.
Old 11/11/05 | 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by tx_pony@November 10, 2005, 6:03 PM
Read the 2005 Owner's Manual - page 92 "Deactivating/Activating the BeltMinder feature.
And please read the POST before replying. I said that I am NOT talking about the BeltMinder feature. I even LISTED the page you listed in the original post.

So, before you take a half a glance at the title and hit the "reply" button, take a minute to actually read the full title and the post self.

Oh, and this is the subtitle (as originally created!): "NOT the BeltMinder function!"
Old 11/11/05 | 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

I will probably have to dig into the car schematics and find out how the switch is tripped and then permanently "fix" it.

My dad used to just yank the buzzer (Or "Dinger" for pittperson! ) and be done with it. Of course, he didn't always wear his seat belt either. I would rather not disable the whole thing, but I am NOT going to listen to the Nanny every single time I start the car.
Old 11/11/05 | 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Can you explain what buzzing your hearing? Reason I ask is the only noise I get with the seatbelt off is a "ding ding ding ding" after driving it without a seatbelt (not me, my passenger while driving across a parking lot) for maybe 15 seconds or so.

I start it and back out of the garage before putting my seatbelt on and there is no warning noise whatsoever.
Old 11/11/05 | 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by RRRoamer@November 11, 2005, 4:35 PM
I will probably have to dig into the car schematics and find out how the switch is tripped and then permanently "fix" it.

My dad used to just yank the buzzer (Or "Dinger" for pittperson! ) and be done with it. Of course, he didn't always wear his seat belt either. I would rather not disable the whole thing, but I am NOT going to listen to the Nanny every single time I start the car.

The Tone generator is integral to the instrument cluster, so that is not an option. Probably the only way to get the car to do what you want it to do is to go to the connector for the seat belt buckle switch under the driver seat. This is a twelve pin connector grey in color. The wires you are looking for are Black/Lt Blue & Brown/Lt Blue entering the hardshell. Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows a normally open state, with a resistor inline when the circuit is opened. Closing this circuit SHOULD make the warning chime turn off.

Legalese....the above is given as information only I cannot be held liable for consequences, damages etc....

But I hope this helps.
Old 11/11/05 | 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Matt,

Thanks for the info on the wires. If I get time this weekend, I'll give it a shot. I checked again today and the "6 x ding" is definitely dependent on a switch in the seatbelt receptacle. Do you by chance have the schematic scanned and can post a link to it?
Old 11/11/05 | 03:59 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@November 10, 2005, 4:48 PM
My normal start up procedure for just about ANY vehicle I have ever driven involves getting in, starting the engine, putting on my seat belt and plugging in the radar detector (if applicable!) and taking car of any "pre driving" business as needed. I always want to start the engine the very first thing to give it a few extra seconds to warm up and get the oil well distributed while I am taking care of the other stuff. And yes, I KNOW I could just buckle up first and then start the car. For those of you with that reply, please feel free to quite smoking and drinking before you post that bit of sage advice...
Wow, that is odd, because I don't have the Belt Minder turned off, and I do things the exact way you do. Turn on the car first, let it run, fiddle with stuff... back the car out of the driveway... and I don't even buckle up until I'm at the bottom of my driveway and headed in my direction.

No beeps at all :scratch:
Old 11/11/05 | 06:07 PM
FR500 Member

Nevermind :bang: I just went out to fetch dinner and paid attention :bang:

I'm guess I'm used to cars beeping some poop at me when I first turn it over that I didn't even notice :bang:
Old 11/12/05 | 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info Matt!

And Tony, you must be DEAF Brother! That ding just goes right through my skull in the morning.

And yes, I am talking about the tone generator that makes the dings. In the past, it was a simple electric buzzer and was also just called the "buzzer", so I fell back on hold habits.
Old 11/12/05 | 01:03 PM
V6 Member

The first thing I did when I got my car home was disable the seatbelt warning. Now don't flame me if this is not what your looking for. The procedure in the manual is for a one time disable. Instead of doing the buckle sequence 9 times, do it 12 times. That is what I did and I get no seat belt warning, buzzer ever.
Old 11/12/05 | 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by withinavoid@November 11, 2005, 5:51 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the info on the wires. If I get time this weekend, I'll give it a shot. I checked again today and the "6 x ding" is definitely dependent on a switch in the seatbelt receptacle. Do you by chance have the schematic scanned and can post a link to it?
I do not have a scanner available and the online version is in Adobe SVG, it will not let me copy the pic-sorry . Rest assured the wiring colors I supplied are correct.
Old 11/13/05 | 10:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ualpow@November 12, 2005, 2:06 PM
The first thing I did when I got my car home was disable the seatbelt warning. Now don't flame me if this is not what your looking for. The procedure in the manual is for a one time disable. Instead of doing the buckle sequence 9 times, do it 12 times. That is what I did and I get no seat belt warning, buzzer ever.
I will give that a try in the morning ualpow. I REALLY hope it works!

And where did you get the 12 times information from anyway?
Old 11/14/05 | 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

I tried the 12 times thing this morning. It appeared to work (the air bag light came on as expected and flashed as expected), but when I shut the key off and then turned it back on, the 6 dings were still with me. Brother.

I'll probably try it one more time before I resort to seat belt buckle surgery to permanantly "fix" the problem.
Old 11/14/05 | 11:03 AM
V6 Member

I forgot where I saw the 12 times info. It was another Mustang forum though.
All I know is I did that and get no seatbelt warning at all. I'll keep looking for the post.
Old 11/15/05 | 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

I will try it again when I go to lunch today. The CPU is definitely seeing SOMETHING. It lights up at the 12th buckle/unbuckle EXACTLY the same way it des at the 9th buckle/unbuckle, so the CPU thinks something is going on that it should respond to. Strange.

Too bad I can't just take the thing in to the dealer and have them connect to the smart junction and turn the silly thing off. You KNOW there is some line of code in there than can be tweaked!

Quick Reply: How to turn off the seat belt reminder