The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   HELP removing Interior Trim needed! Installing xm (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/help-removing-interior-trim-needed-installing-xm-398610/)

originalplaid 1/16/05 11:05 AM

It's a three day weekend so I am running out of time, what I want to do is remove two pieces of interior trim... The piece of trim that goes down either side of the center where the radio is (the lip like piece) and the dummy plates that go in place of the trip computer controls (Above the stereo to the left of the traction control button and the passanger airbag light)

I hope I am making myself clear.

Any ideas? searched a few forums and I know people have done it but no one has any instructions for dummies like me who have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

I am mounting a Roady 2 XM Radio, I am going to screw the mount into the dummy plate where the trip computer controls would be and am going to drill two small holes to run the power and the attenna cable through that piece of trim and down into the center counsel and into the back window.

If anyone is curious, the XM roady attenna works exteremly great in the back window, now I just need aux input to make it 100% cool.

originalplaid 1/16/05 02:00 PM

So solved.
Found on another forum finally, open the center counsel. unscrew the two screws towards the back of the lid (where the hinges are) then simply lift the trim from around the shifter.

The center counsel will now work it's way up and loose.

Once you do that you can just unsnap the two pieces of trim!

LilHog 1/16/05 02:03 PM

This is how I mounted mine. All wires are hidden and routed under the plastic trim and the power is routed inside the console to the power outlet. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do it but I think it looks clean and it works great. I was looking at the dash but decided against it as the routing of the wires wouldn't be as good and I didn't want to mess up that beautiful IUP aluminum trim.

originalplaid 1/16/05 02:27 PM

I got my wires ran right, now i just have to take the time to punch into the piece of trim. It's going to mount directly to that dummy switch panel. I like yours the only problem being the reach upwards to switch channels.

I think I might put my Navman GPS where your XM is.

94tbird 1/16/05 02:54 PM

Avril Eh? :D

LilHog 1/16/05 04:37 PM

Post some pics when you get it all done, I would like to see it. I was very leary about switching to satellite radio but just listening to it for a few minutes and experiencing the selection of channels is great.

os121 1/16/05 05:31 PM

LilHog, nice installation. How did you open up the map light housing ? I have been thinking of wiring my radar detector from that spot - is it easy to tap into a power source there ?

Thanks in advance B)

LilHog 1/17/05 06:22 PM

Originally posted by os121@January 16, 2005, 6:34 PM
LilHog, nice installation. How did you open up the map light housing ? I have been thinking of wiring my radar detector from that spot - is it easy to tap into a power source there ?

Thanks in advance B)

The map light housing just snaps in with two clips, one each side. Just work your fingers under one side and gently pull down and you will see how it is attached and then do the other side. And there is a hot wire there and plenty of room to work and mount from, it also has good access to under the headliner from there. It is a very good accessory mounting point and great for a radar detector.

os121 1/17/05 08:08 PM

Thanks ! :-D

RiverDiver 1/18/05 02:00 PM

The only thing is the power is constant, but it will power down after so many minutes of non activity from the vehicle. I know cause this is where my detector is wired into, and when you exit the vehicle the detector remains on, then shuts down after some time. When you unlock the car the radar detector automatically comes as it is getting power from the interior map lights.

originalplaid 1/18/05 02:14 PM

Does anyone know what wires are controlled by the opening of the door? is it only the one that goes to the radio?

Tiberius1701 1/19/05 08:16 AM

Certain accessory feeds (Radio, power windows) are left on for a brief period after key shutdown, this is wired into the Smart Junction Box and of course shuts down when any door is opened. Any modification should be left to a highly skilled person to ensure proper operation of the vehicle.

Tiberius1701 1/19/05 08:29 AM

Sorry duplicate post