05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated

Old 3/23/07, 03:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated

Has anyone installed one of these in their GT. I have seen quite a few on Ebay and wondering if they would work and what you have to do to get them to work. I like the way the Tach is on the right side, it makes it alot easier to see.
Old 4/7/07, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation Easier than you think

Just did mine yesterday and it is a piece of cake. All you have to do is have the dealership pull your info out of the old unit while it is plugged into the car still. Unplug that gauge cluster and plug in the GT500 gauge cluster. They will then apply your info and it's done.

Two things you should know. To get the mileage correct you need to buy it from the dealer or have them send it off. Otherwise it will start over at zero. Secondly the boost gauge does not work up front and there are a few of us trying to get the wiring diagram on it to fix this.

Oh there is one more thing, to you will need to have mycolor with the message center in the middle console.

My impressions, well I love it !! The tach on the right, 160 on the speedo and the look is better. I thought the original cluster was nice until I installed this unit. I can't stop looking at it
Old 4/8/07, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Couple of questions:

Is the daytime backlight white? Or none? The only pics I've ever seen are at night (with blue) and out of the car (not lit).

What aftermarket gauges match this cluster? Would it still be Autometer's Cobalt series?

Lastly, will the dealership accept a V6 cluster as a core? I'd like to get the GT500 cluster for my GT, take my My-Color GT cluster and put it in my V6 and give them the non-My Color V6 cluster as a core...

Willie
Attached Thumbnails GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated-gt500-instrument-cluster-02.jpg   GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated-gt500_36.jpg  
Old 4/8/07, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with your dealer on the core charge. I always felt the tach and speedo needed to be swapped that way it matched the 67-68 it was based from. I don't know why the dealer can't do the mileage of a cluster brought in though.

Originally Posted by Willie
Couple of questions:

Is the daytime backlight white? Or none? The only pics I've ever seen are at night (with blue) and out of the car (not lit).

What aftermarket gauges match this cluster? Would it still be Autometer's Cobalt series?

Lastly, will the dealership accept a V6 cluster as a core? I'd like to get the GT500 cluster for my GT, take my My-Color GT cluster and put it in my V6 and give them the non-My Color V6 cluster as a core...

Willie
Old 4/8/07, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Deric
Check with your dealer on the core charge. I always felt the tach and speedo needed to be swapped that way it matched the 67-68 it was based from. I don't know why the dealer can't do the mileage of a cluster brought in though.
If I recall correctly, the mileage isn't programmed by the dealership its programmed by the cluster center. With a cluster purchased elsewhere the dealer would have to ship it to the cluster center to have the mileage re-programmed. And I'm guessing that the cluster center isn't wanting to accept liability on a cluster that they didn't provide. After all if any problems occurred during the re-programming attempt they'd have to absorb the cost of replacing it.
Old 4/8/07, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
If I recall correctly, the mileage isn't programmed by the dealership its programmed by the cluster center. With a cluster purchased elsewhere the dealer would have to ship it to the cluster center to have the mileage re-programmed. And I'm guessing that the cluster center isn't wanting to accept liability on a cluster that they didn't provide. After all if any problems occurred during the re-programming attempt they'd have to absorb the cost of replacing it.
Yes, this is true. The dealer does NOT have the ability to program the correct mileage into the speedo.

This happened with my dad's F250. He needed a new cluster, which was ordered by the parts dept but went to a special supplier for the gauges.

What happens is that the service dept gets all the info, then sends all of it to wherever they purchase it from, and it comes back pre-programmed with the correct mileage (the mileage it had when the order was placed). If you don't come back within a reasonable time (usually 30 days), they return the cluster.
Old 4/8/07, 09:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am thinking about this when i order the Whipple, will help to have a bppst guage on the cluster, then all i would need is the volts and trans temp, i will just run the rest of the guages with the carputer
Old 4/10/07, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JST4FN
Just did mine yesterday and it is a piece of cake. All you have to do is have the dealership pull your info out of the old unit while it is plugged into the car still. Unplug that gauge cluster and plug in the GT500 gauge cluster. They will then apply your info and it's done.

Two things you should know. To get the mileage correct you need to buy it from the dealer or have them send it off. Otherwise it will start over at zero. Secondly the boost gauge does not work up front and there are a few of us trying to get the wiring diagram on it to fix this.

Oh there is one more thing, to you will need to have mycolor with the message center in the middle console.

My impressions, well I love it !! The tach on the right, 160 on the speedo and the look is better. I thought the original cluster was nice until I installed this unit. I can't stop looking at it
Uh, I'm sure you enjoy your cluster, and as you can imagine many others might as well. How about posting up a price of the cluster and installation there buddy ol' pal?
Old 4/11/07, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

does this gt500 cluster work with my color, if so are all the gt500 clusters my color or do they have one without as well. Thanks for any info.
Old 4/12/07, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would the cluster work without MyColor? Looks really nice, you've gotta love the SVT logo on the tach.
Old 4/16/07, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry guys I just got a notification that someone had replied. I'm fixing to head off to bed but I will try and post up pictures tomorrow. Just to answer a couple questions. I bought my unit off Ebay. I did not send it off to get the mileage corrected. I started over at 0 and wrote my mileage in my book for reference. Also because I did this there was no core charge so 400 was the paying price. I believe they are 3-400 plus a 300 core charge from the dealer. Don't quote me on that. Once programmed everything works properly except the boost gauge. I'm sure that will get figured out one of these days. This is one of the best modifications that I have made for me personally. With the tach on the right now it makes watching shift points and my gauges(center mount) a breeze. It feels normal now with a quick glance down you know exactly whats going on. The shift light is also nice however currently I do not have it set to the right RPM. I was told this is done in the tune but I have not looked for it in my SCT PRP yet. Hope that helps guys
Old 4/19/07, 10:58 PM
GT Member

The GT500 cluster is a mycolor gauge and if your GT did not have mycolor option from the factory you just need to add the mycolor switchs to make it function (The wire harness they plug into are behind the blank plate).

I have worked out a deal with a Ford Parts Warehouse the price
price is $352.00 and shipping will be set at $14.00 any where in the US.

These are for new US spec GT500 Gauges clusters (No Core Charge). I checked by request but was unable to get a price for the canadian version.

Now as far as payment, those that can pay with paypal instant transfer, paypal balance, or e-check, that is great. Those that want to pay by paypal with a credit card its a bit more difficult. As I only have a personal paypal account there is no fee for those transfers, but once I upgrade to a premier account the CC payments would be able to be accepted (with a 2.9% +$.30 fee about $11 pertransaction) and so will all other transfers. So the instant transfers, e-checks, etc that were free they now to would be charged the service fee.
Which is why I never uprgaded to the premier account status. I can also accept Checks and Money orders

I'm going to give everyone till next Tue to get in on this or not.

So right now all those that are actually wanting to get in on this Email/PM me and I will put together a list and tell me how you want to pay. Then I can get a list together. I figure worse case I get everyone that is paypaling but not by CC to pay before tue, and then on Tue I'll upgrade my account and have the CC guys pay (but would have to cover the fee)

So PM me this way I have a good idea of how many are being ordered and payment methods to get everything arranged.

I have 3 people paid already an 3 more people lined up to pay.
Old 4/20/07, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

$352 + shipping is a good deal if you want to keep your original cluster. If you don't, the best deal I've found is through Steve at Tousley Ford. He'll have to get a $300 core which is refunded in full when your cluster is received. His final price for a new GT500 cluster is between $220 - $230 + ~$10 for shipping. Ask for him on their toll-free number found here:

http://www.tousleyford.com

Willie
Old 4/22/07, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay lets see if I can get this to work.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated-dsc01675.jpg   GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated-dsc01677gt500dash.jpg  
Old 4/22/07, 08:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Nevermind the fact that this SWITCHES the locations of rpm/speed, I'm still confused as to how you get accurate readings. With the SN95 clusters, you couldn't interchange a V6 cluster to a GT cluster, because the speed range was different.

For example, 50% (or needle point straight up) of the speed gauge equates to 80 mph on the SVT cluster, but is only 70 mph on the GT cluster. So, how does the car "know" to adjust the proportionality to compensate for the change in speed range. The same goes for the tach too.
Old 4/22/07, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

....50% (or needle point straight up) of the speed gauge equates to 80 mph on the SVT cluster, but is only 70 mph on the GT cluster. So, how does the car "know" to adjust the proportionality to compensate for the change in speed range.

Speedometer:
The calibration within the speedometer head is different. Never mind that one speedo reads to 140-mph and the other to 160, it doesn't matter. Both are calibrated to read accurate speed at any given speed. This was exactly the same on third gen Camaros. Guys were concerned about swapping in a 145-mph speedo into a car originally equipped with an 85 or 115-mph speedo. It didn't matter (for the same reason). All will work on the same car.

The same goes for the tach too.

Tachometer:
This is a completely different animal from the speedometer. Tachs are calibrated for number of cylinders. So a tach originated made for a V8 will interchange with another V8 tach, V6 for a V6, etc. Have you noticed how aftermarket tachs have a switch for 4, 6 and 8 cylinders? This is the reason.
Old 4/22/07, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Nevermind the fact that this SWITCHES the locations of rpm/speed, I'm still confused as to how you get accurate readings. With the SN95 clusters, you couldn't interchange a V6 cluster to a GT cluster, because the speed range was different.

For example, 50% (or needle point straight up) of the speed gauge equates to 80 mph on the SVT cluster, but is only 70 mph on the GT cluster. So, how does the car "know" to adjust the proportionality to compensate for the change in speed range. The same goes for the tach too.
It has to do with the fact that the S197 uses a diffrent setup and all the clusters use the same input signal so there is no issue with calibation between them. The all read the same RPM and speed input signal.

Only thing you need is the dealer to transfer the data from the original to your new one. Thats all there is to it
Old 4/22/07, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by vsop
It has to do with the fact that the S197 uses a diffrent setup and all the clusters use the same input signal so there is no issue with calibation between them. The all read the same RPM and speed input signal.

Only thing you need is the dealer to transfer the data from the original to your new one. Thats all there is to it

Thanks for the help. Sounds much better than the SN95 gauges, with the exception that the SN95 gauges would retain your mileage when you swapped clusters.

Not to sound stupid, but here's a question to all that are changing theirs out: down the road, if/when you sell your car, are you going to replace it with the factory cluster again. And, if so, how will it be recalibrated? I don't know if the dealer will just let you bring back your factory cluster to recalibrate the odometer, because that could be considered fraud. And, selling the car with the lower mileaged factory cluster would also be considered fraud.

Kind of a catch-22
Old 4/22/07, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

If you purchase thru the dealer the mileage will be transferred before it makes it to the dealership. Since I purchased from a individual I wrote down the mileage on mine just in case I was forced to sell the car. I don't plan on selling it so it's kinda mute to me.
Old 4/28/07, 04:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am thinking about this mod or the saleen 200mph guages once i install the whipple 10psi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 My Color Instrument Cluster 09/29/23 Edited & Updated