The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   Front 6x8 Speaker Upgrade (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/front-6x8-speaker-upgrade-515625/)

06blackvertstang 11/10/12 02:54 PM

Front 6x8 Speaker Upgrade

I've noticed lately the front right 6x8 is rattling a little bit, and I figure it's time to replace it which means upgrade time!!
What have you guys used? I'm looking for a replacement that hopefully sounds better than stock, but doesn't require any extra adapters or anything.

Also what is the install on this like? Thanks

SCHMOKN 11/10/12 03:50 PM

I went with Infinity Kappas. Regardless of what aftermarket speakers you go with you will either need adaptors, or you will have to cut the end of the factory harness.

Flagstang 11/10/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by SCHMOKN (Post 6487889)
I went with Infinity Kappas. Regardless of what aftermarket speakers you go with you will either need adaptors, or you will have to cut the end of the factory harness.

you can get a harness that works with it. like im selling

https://themustangsource.com/f722/mu...-stuff-515602/

SCHMOKN 11/10/12 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6487891)
you can get a harness that works with it. like im selling

https://themustangsource.com/f722/mu...-stuff-515602/

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang (Post 6487828)
I've noticed lately the front right 6x8 is rattling a little bit, and I figure it's time to replace it which means upgrade time!!
What have you guys used? I'm looking for a replacement that hopefully sounds better than stock, but doesn't require any extra adapters or anything.

Also what is the install on this like? Thanks

Right. But I was refering to his statement above.

06blackvertstang 11/10/12 08:18 PM

Gotcha. Thanks fellas. I started reading about this stuff and I came to the conclusion that the infinity kappas are probably the way to go. Two questions...

Do they really put too much treble out or are they as high pitched as everyone says? I mean I don't want my stereo to sound weird and have to upgrade everything else.

Does the adapter make this plug and play?

Flagstang 11/10/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang (Post 6488113)
Gotcha. Thanks fellas. I started reading about this stuff and I came to the conclusion that the infinity kappas are probably the way to go. Two questions...

Do they really put too much treble out or are they as high pitched as everyone says? I mean I don't want my stereo to sound weird and have to upgrade everything else.

Does the adapter make this plug and play?

they sound clear and crisp. Most people are not used to hearing clean signal. The adapters do make them plug and play.

Mr. V 11/10/12 09:13 PM

I think you may want to consider the reference series from infinity. The sensitivity rating makes them seem more similar than they really are. In my experience, the kappas require good amplification to sound markedly different from the reference series.

Scott2 11/11/12 04:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Upgraded my front speakers a couple of years ago. Went with Pioneer TS-D6802R's.

OEM speakers look like this:

Attachment 204536

and the Pioneers like this:

Attachment 204537

You can cut the OEM harness plug off and direct wire the speakers, however for a couple of bucks more I recommend getting a Harness. I got mine from Crutchfield and it was part number 12071048, it has "spade" connectors to go to the speakers and a female socket that matches the OEM harness.

In terms on installation it is pretty easy, there are videos and DYI threads if you search for them. Come to think of it I bought my speakers from Sonic Electronix and believe them came with instructions.

06blackvertstang 11/11/12 01:00 PM

Thanks fellas! I appreciate all of this. I'm thinking infinity kappas with wiring harness will be the way to go

jaminlogic 11/14/12 12:18 AM

I had the Infinity reference series installed prior to upgrading again. The Infinity reference were simple to install and I used the adapter harness from Crutchfield to eliminate splicing. When I upgraded again during the fall I ran new thicker gauge wires which were a pain, and installed Morel components.

05PRMTX 11/20/12 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 6488131)
I think you may want to consider the reference series from infinity. The sensitivity rating makes them seem more similar than they really are. In my experience, the kappas require good amplification to sound markedly different from the reference series.

I will second this. Unless you get an aftermarket amp, they will most likely sound too "bright" as some might say.

I had kappa 6X9s and Kappa 6.5 comps in my previous car. Even with a decent amp it took a good amount of tunning to get them where I liked them. They sounded awesome, but they require a good amp and a decent equalizer imo.