05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Extra Led's for active anti-theft

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/05, 01:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to add extra LED's to the active anti-theft alarm system in the GT.

The One in the instrement cluster isn't bright enough in the daytime.
Old 8/29/05, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=070-065
Old 8/30/05, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Nice, but not quite what I was looking for.

I want to know if it is possible to interface the LED's to the current active anti-theft alarm.
I already have LED's I just want them to flash if the alarm is active.
Old 8/30/05, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

Just wire them in series with the existing LED. Then, whatever control unit (if there is one) flashes the factory one will flash the new ones. Now, I am assuming they're all 12v. You may be better off adding a relay to the factory LED, then adding as many as you feel necessary to the output of the relay.
Old 8/30/05, 09:48 PM
GT Member

The factory led or light is built in to the dash and can't easilly be got to.

What I need to know is if there are External connections to connect an external led to, and where they are.
Old 8/31/05, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Whoa. We'll need a wiring diagram of the factory anti-theft. If someone has that, please post it, and we'll look at it. My car arrived this morning, and I won't even see it until tomorrow, so I cannot look at my own. Sorry. We WILL find a good solution for this (I already have LED's that I can add )
Old 8/31/05, 10:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Good luck. Helm sells shop manuals. Wiring diagrams have their own book. The set of the two is over $200
Old 9/1/05, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

I'll find a download "somewhere"
Old 5/10/15, 07:00 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but has anyone found the wires that the flashing anti theft led uses in the cluster? Would like to add another 12v led.
I've been looking for wiring diagrams but can't find the proper one.
Old 5/14/15, 07:28 AM

Can some PLEASE help me out here???
Old 5/15/15, 12:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Can some PLEASE help me out here???
I think the reason no one ever solved the problem in 2005 is that there aren't any wires per se, the LED in the cluster is contained in the PCB that runs the cluster.

My guess is that you'd have to tie in to the PCB and run a wire to an external LED. I know this isn't much help to you, and this is conjecture, but would this even work? You would be trying to tap in to a most likely 1.5v source with enough current to run an SMD on a PCB, I can't imagine it would have sufficient capacity to run more LEDs.

Maybe just running a flashing LED would suffice instead?
Old 5/16/15, 05:22 PM

Mrkabc thanks for the reply. TBH that is exactly what I was going to try if no one was able to help me.
I did however manage to find the wiring schematics for the whole car.
I found a wire that runs to the anti theft system in the cluster. So I will be testing that out.

Cheers.
Old 5/21/15, 03:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
VGM..That would of been my choice also. The plug in connector at the back top of the speedometer cluster would be an ideal place to tap an extra LED lead. Make sure if you add one, to add the correct resistor, or you might screw up the reading into the SJB.

You might try this and add it. We did it to an older gentleman's Dodge, so he could see it in the daylight. It should work fine in our Mustang's also. It's worth a look.

Amazon.com: Varad LL-RE Red Flashing LED Theft Deterrent: Automotive Amazon.com: Varad LL-RE Red Flashing LED Theft Deterrent: Automotive

This week, I will be adding that lighted ring around the ignition cylinder and will let you know how it turns out. It should be no different that the Ford Fusion, and I tried that. It fit snugly and although I haven't run the wiring to the box yet, it looks rather nice around the cylinder. Once I hook it up to power, it should function perfectly. I'm using my Fusion as a tester, before adding things to the Mustang anymore. Seems to cut down on damage. lol.

Last edited by akdoggie; 5/21/15 at 03:30 AM.
Old 5/22/15, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
VGM..That would of been my choice also. The plug in connector at the back top of the speedometer cluster would be an ideal place to tap an extra LED lead. Make sure if you add one, to add the correct resistor, or you might screw up the reading into the SJB.

You might try this and add it. We did it to an older gentleman's Dodge, so he could see it in the daylight. It should work fine in our Mustang's also. It's worth a look.

Amazon.com: Varad LL-RE Red Flashing LED Theft Deterrent: Automotive

This week, I will be adding that lighted ring around the ignition cylinder and will let you know how it turns out. It should be no different that the Ford Fusion, and I tried that. It fit snugly and although I haven't run the wiring to the box yet, it looks rather nice around the cylinder. Once I hook it up to power, it should function perfectly. I'm using my Fusion as a tester, before adding things to the Mustang anymore. Seems to cut down on damage. lol.

For the flashing LED, I'd go with something like this:

http://www.delcity.net/store/LED-Ind...swfRoCq_3w_wcB

A bit more nondescript and you can get other colors besides red... might be a bit less "obvious" that it's a hack job and not OEM. Just my $0.02.

Either way, it's a lot less work than trying to muck around with the dash wiring. Just find constant 12v and you are off!

AK, will you start a "how to" thread on the ignition cylinder mod? Would love to do that to my 'Stang as well as my Taco.