05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Beginner's Questions to getting a System

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/05, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a beginner when it comes to car audio and video, and seeing how nice other TMS members systems have come out I have decided to go the route of a kickhiney sound system for my GT. I have spent the last day reading all the threads I could find and trying to get educated as best as I can. What I am looking for is a double-din in-dash TV with DVD playback, and I am leaning towards the Kenwood DDX7015 right now. I want JL audio subs in the doors and JL Audio speakers in the front doors and rear decks. Obviously I would need an amp, but to power this I wouldn't know what kind. I do not want ride shaking bass, so I'm not getting a sub in the trunk. What I am looking for is not loud sound, but clear music and very aesthetically pleasing. I mainly listen to rap and rock. These are my questions:

1. What type of amp would you recommend? I am looking for a JL audio product here, but any recommendations would also be good.

2. I have picked JL audio mostly from an aesthetic point but talking to the worker at Best Buy he said JL is good. Am I making a mistake choosing JL over other speaker brands?

3. What size speakers fit in the front door and rear decks? I believe 6x8s fit in the rear deck and 5x7s in the front door.

4. With the TV, I am not looking for navigation or traffic controls, just DVD playback. Also with the Kenwood, I believe it is Sirius capable but I'm not sure. Would I be able to add Sirius to it and would it be fully integrated? My friend has Sirius but its a box attached to his dash, which I don't want. Also what iPod options would I have with the Kenwood?

5. Would you guys recommend a CD changer installed in the trunk? I know the Kenwood would only have one slot, which I would probably keep a DVD in. I would certainly miss the Shaker 500s 6 disc changer, and it would be a pain to keep switching CDs all the time. If so, know of any good CD changers? I don't know if JL makes any.

6. How much labor am I looking at? I estimate it at $500. I wouldn't dare attempt to install anything myself.

7. Lastly, I am from the NYC area. If anyone could recommend a good car audio shop in the NY/NJ area it would greatly appreciated. I am planning to spend almost $3000 according to my estimates and I wan't to have it professionally done.

I know this is the absolute best place to ask these questions, since the responses are unbiased. In advance I thank anyone for their input since I don't know anything about car audio. Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Vin.
Old 5/9/05, 06:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@May 9, 2005, 3:57 PM
I am a beginner when it comes to car audio and video, and seeing how nice other TMS members systems have come out I have decided to go the route of a kickhiney sound system for my GT. I have spent the last day reading all the threads I could find and trying to get educated as best as I can. What I am looking for is a double-din in-dash TV with DVD playback, and I am leaning towards the Kenwood DDX7015 right now. I want JL audio subs in the doors and JL Audio speakers in the front doors and rear decks. Obviously I would need an amp, but to power this I wouldn't know what kind. I do not want ride shaking bass, so I'm not getting a sub in the trunk. What I am looking for is not loud sound, but clear music and very aesthetically pleasing. I mainly listen to rap and rock. These are my questions:

1. What type of amp would you recommend? I am looking for a JL audio product here, but any recommendations would also be good.

2. I have picked JL audio mostly from an aesthetic point but talking to the worker at Best Buy he said JL is good. Am I making a mistake choosing JL over other speaker brands?

3. What size speakers fit in the front door and rear decks? I believe 6x8s fit in the rear deck and 5x7s in the front door.

4. With the TV, I am not looking for navigation or traffic controls, just DVD playback. Also with the Kenwood, I believe it is Sirius capable but I'm not sure. Would I be able to add Sirius to it and would it be fully integrated? My friend has Sirius but its a box attached to his dash, which I don't want. Also what iPod options would I have with the Kenwood?

5. Would you guys recommend a CD changer installed in the trunk? I know the Kenwood would only have one slot, which I would probably keep a DVD in. I would certainly miss the Shaker 500s 6 disc changer, and it would be a pain to keep switching CDs all the time. If so, know of any good CD changers? I don't know if JL makes any.

6. How much labor am I looking at? I estimate it at $500. I wouldn't dare attempt to install anything myself.

7. Lastly, I am from the NYC area. If anyone could recommend a good car audio shop in the NY/NJ area it would greatly appreciated. I am planning to spend almost $3000 according to my estimates and I wan't to have it professionally done.

I know this is the absolute best place to ask these questions, since the responses are unbiased. In advance I thank anyone for their input since I don't know anything about car audio. Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Vin.
I'll take a crack at this-

1. JL amps are known to be top notch. I have always used Alpine amps...as I have had good luck with them and Alpine HU's.

2. Jl is known for their subs and amps....not their mids. Check out MB Quart or high end Polk. I will be getting the Premium line of MB Quart speakers, but the JL 8w3v2 for the door.

3. You can also fit round speakers in the doors, which I would reccomend. Either 4" in 5.25" components. I would say 4" if you want it brighter, and 5.25" if you want to compliment the 8" subs in the door.

4. Not sure on this. I am getting the Alpine 9855 or the new IVA D310 (which is a 7" screen) w/ the iPod hook up.

5. for the price of a changer, I would go with an iPod plus adapter. You will spend about $300 on that set up, but its worth the extra cash in the long run. No CD's to make or buy, and not as many moving parts.

6. Labor on Speakers, headunit, wiring could be $500. That sounds about right, especially if you aren't getting subs in the trunk.

7. I live in CA. But $3k for all that seems about right.

good luck!
Old 5/9/05, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

I've got the DDX7015, just have not installed it yet. You can control Sirius with it, just need the receiver unit and antenna. The receiver unit is a small square box, can be mounted anywhere, trunk, under a seat, in the dash, where ever. And don't even bother with getting a disc changer. Get the Kenwood Music Keg! 80gig baby!
JL Audio....Freakin Rocks for woofers, period! I had JL Pro 10s in my last car, and plan on putting the same speakers in my GT whenever I finally get all the necessary parts gathered and get enough spare time to get the P.O.S. shaker1000 system removed and get the new system installed.