05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/17, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to mrkabc and sabre for all the detailed instructions! I installed the Raxiom unit about a month ago, and would not have been able to do it without your instructions! The instructions that came with it are a complete joke. I tweaked a couple of things along the way that worked for me, but overall followed your leads. I have never been good with electrical stuff, more of a nuts and bolts guy, so this would have been nearly impossible without your guidance. I probably would have had someone else do it, and I don't like anyone else to mess with my car. I did call the tech line because I had numerous wires left over, but I have an '05 so I found out I didn't need all the wires. I have to admit I was nervous to turn it on (haha) but it powered up and works just great, no issues. I also installed the Sirius xm as well, and installed both antennas under the rear dash pad and they work just fine.

So thanks again guys, I greatly appreciate it!!!!!
Old 6/9/17, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I did, and is not that. Camera works fine if I press the CAM button, my only issue is linking the green camera wire to 12v in reverse. Unfortunately I'm thinking 2005 is different from other years since I can't find a hot wire in the passenger kick panel SJB or wiring harness.

I went to the passenger side door sill and dug into the wiring harness under the door sill. Found the hot wire going to the passenger side reverse light and tapped into that. I think the unit uses the 12V it sees when the reverse light comes on, as a signal to switch on the camera. When the 12V goes away, it signals the unit to switch the camera off. At least this is how it worked on my 07.

Be careful if you go this route. The wires are in the harness are very small....easy to break them while probing with a 12V light to find the reverse light....handle with care while making your 12V connection too. My first attempt, I put everything back together and tried it...but the camera didn't work. Took it all apart again and found that the the wire had broken right at my connection as I was putting it back together and pushing down on the door sill to get it back into the right position. A quick fix and some care when putting everything back together made the 2nd attempt a success.
Old 9/20/17, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT with stock radio including satellite radio and one of the first things I ever do when getting a new vehicle is upgrade the stereo.

That being said, when I saw the Raxiom stereo I must admit it peaked my interest. First of all, it is basically plug and play. And second it looks very natural as if it was manufactured with this radio. Which is somewhat important to me.

So initially I thought it would be a slam dunk, but after reading this thread I have several reservations and questions.

First of all, in my other vehicle, I have Double DIN stereo that has Apple Car Play. It is made by Pioneer and I have had nothing but trouble with it. Does anyone else have any experience with Apple Car Play and especially the Pioneer NEX series. One thing I love about Apple Car Play is that navigation is ran from your phone through the receiver, therefore no need for another eyesore antenna.

I love the factory look of the Raxiom, but as someone else said earlier the after market ones look a little out of place. Also you have the added detriment of having another antenna stuck somewhere on the car.

So after being out for several years would you get the Raxiom or one with Car Play and why?
Old 9/22/17, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a friend of mine who just put a Kenwood in his 2008...I'm sorry I don't know what the model is...but he was able to show me how the navigation worked through his Iphone via the Car Play. The Kenwood didn't come with a rear camera but is compatible/accepting of both a rear and front facing camera. The rear camera he bought and installed looked great on the screen, but he was having trouble getting it to come on when he went to reverse...he could get it to come on after shifting into reverse, but he had to press the camera button on the head unit to get it to do so. I"m not sure if this is just how it's going to operate or if he doesn't have all of his wiring correct at this point. He was going to make a phone call back to Crutchfield to see what he could find out. I know that he tapped into the reverse backup lights wiring, at the tail lights in the trunk. I suspect the 12V from the reverse lights are powering the camera, but the head unit is not getting a signal to interrupt the current screen and display the rear backup camera when he shifts to reverse. On the Raxiom unit that I have in my 07, the camera is powered all the time through the head unit and only uses the 12V it sees from the reverse lights as a signal to display the camera in the screen when I shift to reverse....so it's sensing the 12V from the backup light and using it only to trip a switch...so to speak. Haven't talked to my buddy in a couple of days, so I don't know if he's gotten it all sorted out yet or not. Another thing with the Kenwood, was they supplied a GPS antenna that Crutchfield highly suggest he hook up and use. Apparently Google maps through the Car Play does not work well without the GPS antenna hooked up to the car. He wasn't interested in the satellite radio, so he did not install the antenna for it. The Kenwood did look nice in his car....didn't look out of place or too different to make it a distraction from the rest of the dash or interior. Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 9/24/17, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli

.....First of all, in my other vehicle, I have Double DIN stereo that has Apple Car Play. It is made by Pioneer and I have had nothing but trouble with it. Does anyone else have any experience with Apple Car Play and especially the Pioneer NEX series. One thing I love about Apple Car Play is that navigation is ran from your phone through the receiver, therefore no need for another eyesore antenna.
I installed a Pioneer 4100NEX in my 2008 GT/CS last year with little to no issues. I use Andriod Auto for the same function as you (GPS from the phone displays onscreen). My daughter has an iphone and we've used Apple Car Play when she's been in the car, no problems.

I did have some very minor issues during initial setup; the start up menu can be a little misleading. I called Pioneer and they walked me through it and I've been problem free ever since.

What troubles have you been having?
Old 9/24/17, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ned Starks Head
I installed a Pioneer 4100NEX in my 2008 GT/CS last year with little to no issues. I use Andriod Auto for the same function as you (GPS from the phone displays onscreen). My daughter has an iphone and we've used Apple Car Play when she's been in the car, no problems.

I did have some very minor issues during initial setup; the start up menu can be a little misleading. I called Pioneer and they walked me through it and I've been problem free ever since.

What troubles have you been having?
Yeah, I have the 4200NEX and I have had nothing but trouble with it.

Here is just some of the issues I have with it.

1) The stereo freezes a good bit, well more than any other stereo I have ever owned. It will lock up and the only way it will work again is to shut the truck off. It only does this about once a week.

2) Even when plugged in and using CarPlay, the radio will disconnect from my iPhone. It does this pretty regularly. At least once a day.

3) Sometimes it will not recognize my phone when I plug it in. I have to disconnect and re-plug it in, sometimes several times in order for it to recognize it. It does this at least once a day, sometimes more.

4) Sometimes can't control the iPhone, Music and stuff, from the receiver. I have to get the iPhone out of the console and using it to do what I need to do.

5) Sometimes the song won't play, and it won't switch to another one. the curser thing moves and the time counts but nothing plays.

6) No matter what I do it will not update. I have done everything you could fathom to update it and it just will not update. I finally gave up.

7) it will not fit in my 2007 Dodge Ram without blocking the displaying from flipping up. I have tried numerous install kits and I can't seem to make it work. In order to make it work, I have to modify the install kit and having the receiver sticking out an inch or so further than it was designed. It makes it look as though it does have the trim ring around it. I just install it the way it was designed and forgo the ability to remove or flip up the display.

Initially I used an Amazon certified lightning cable and I was told most of my problems stemmed from the fact I didn't use an Apple cable. Therefore I started using an Apple cable and it still does it.

Last edited by MDMachiavelli; 9/24/17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 9/25/17, 08:06 AM

Anyone with the Raxion radio have problems with it locking up on them? Mine locks up every few days when I switch audio sources and the only way to unlock it is to press the reset button (then I have to enter the code to turn the satelite radio back on and fiddle with my settings to get them back to where they were to begin with ... what a pain, especially while driving). Spoke with the Raxion engineers and they didn’t seem to have a clue. Wish I’d gone with another brand. When it works, it’s great, but I’m pulling my hair out with this lock up issue.
Old 9/26/17, 06:42 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Yes we get it gravitydog, you dont like it. Move on. Lol.
Old 9/26/17, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli
Yeah, I have the 4200NEX and I have had nothing but trouble with it.

Here is just some of the issues I have with it.

1) The stereo freezes a good bit, well more than any other stereo I have ever owned. It will lock up and the only way it will work again is to shut the truck off. It only does this about once a week.

2) Even when plugged in and using CarPlay, the radio will disconnect from my iPhone. It does this pretty regularly. At least once a day.

3) Sometimes it will not recognize my phone when I plug it in. I have to disconnect and re-plug it in, sometimes several times in order for it to recognize it. It does this at least once a day, sometimes more.

4) Sometimes can't control the iPhone, Music and stuff, from the receiver. I have to get the iPhone out of the console and using it to do what I need to do.

5) Sometimes the song won't play, and it won't switch to another one. the curser thing moves and the time counts but nothing plays.

6) No matter what I do it will not update. I have done everything you could fathom to update it and it just will not update. I finally gave up.

7) it will not fit in my 2007 Dodge Ram without blocking the displaying from flipping up. I have tried numerous install kits and I can't seem to make it work. In order to make it work, I have to modify the install kit and having the receiver sticking out an inch or so further than it was designed. It makes it look as though it does have the trim ring around it. I just install it the way it was designed and forgo the ability to remove or flip up the display.

Initially I used an Amazon certified lightning cable and I was told most of my problems stemmed from the fact I didn't use an Apple cable. Therefore I started using an Apple cable and it still does it.
Wow.

Sounds like you might have a bad unit.

My initial problems were due to a cable issue as well, and some operator error. I found these things are verrry finicky with anything other than the FACTORY cable that came with your iphone (or in my case Android) phone.

I'm currently running a somewhat outdated Samsung Galaxy 4 phone with my NEX. The original cable was going bad from overuse, so I purchases a 'verified' Galaxy cable (2 pack) from Amazon. The results (with both new cables) were much like some of your issues. Screen lock up, constantly disconnecting from the phone, etc....same thing with any other Android cable I tried.
Finally bought a new cable direct from Samsung, and those problems went away. Once in a while on startup I get a "phone can't connect right now, please pull over when it's safe" message; re-plugging fixes that. Every now and then the Android Auto screen will lock up (once a month maybe), but no so often to be a nuisance.

I know you're on an iphone, but there have been times when the Android Auto app would have an update to it, and that sometimes causes some issues, but I've been able to work around them on my phone.
I've never had to update the anything on the 4100 unit itself...even if there is an update I likely won't do it....we all know how updates sometimes work.

That sucks about not being able to tilt the screen. Mostly I listen to music on the SD card (slot behind the screen), so yeah...that would be a major problem.
Have you tried talking to Crutchfield? 1-800-651-1397

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130420..._4200&skipvs=T

They've always been pretty spot on with anything I've ever needed. For your Dodge they show 'modified fit', but you should still have full functionality.

For your Dodge, they say:

I hope some of this helps. If you haven't already purchased a cable directly from Apple, I would try that. There are A LOT of fakes out there.

Try talking to Pioneer as well. They helped me out.
      Old 9/27/17, 03:50 PM
      V6 Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
      Yes we get it gravitydog, you dont like it. Move on. Lol.
      Originally Posted by Gravydog316
      that's not it;
      I was going to get one, until i saw all the problems with American Muscle & their Raxiom junk;
      I don't want people to waste their time and money on junk.
      I care.

Why the disdain for gravydog? I'm glad they are posting honest opinions about the stereo.

It would be different if the stereo were a little less expensive, but for that price the Raxiom should be top notch. $800.00 is a lot of money to pay for a stereo that is not made by major car stereo manufacturer.

$800 will buy you a VERY good radio in the aftermarket world.

I want a radio that looks like it is made for the Mustang, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little for that aspect.

What I don't want to do is have a significant sacrifice in quality for a stereo that is somewhat overpriced, just because it keeps that factory look.

Therefore I welcome the comments.
      Old 10/16/17, 08:55 AM
      Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
      Just yanking your chain. I know you care. Thanks for caring.
      Old 10/25/17, 01:02 AM

I noticed on the American Muscle web site that the Raxiom unit is no longer available for the 2005-2009 Mustang.

Why?

I too was never totally sold on the unit. I only liked it because it looks like it belongs in the dash.

Is there any other options for an in dash gps unit that looks like stock?
      Old 10/25/17, 01:25 AM

I bought my car used from the original owner. It has upgraded Raxiom sequential tail lights and headlights. He never mentioned any problems with either. I haven't had any.......... touch wood.

I agree with you about the in dash GPS. I wanted it because of the looks. I've held out partly because I haven't heard enough good things about it.

Like someone mentioned earlier, their software isn't the best. If it is in fact a re-branded ROSEN then I'm told that would be good.

However American Muscle doesn't even offer the unit on their website anymore.
      Old 10/26/17, 12:55 PM
      Bullitt Member

The Raxiom was only popular because of the stock look;
      I was going to get one for my 2006, until i read the reviews & basically, everyone one sold had a problem of some kind
      (same w/ my Raxiom sequebtial taillights,)
      gave up after a year of trying to get some service;
      Raxiom is owned (at least partly by AM
      there hasn't been an AM rep on any forums in over a year;
      I don't know why these forums don't do anything about it, btw...

i will repeat myself ad naseum to anyone who mentions AM &/or Raxiom:
      don't waste your time or money on Raxiom or AM...
      forum sponsorship be damned.

I'm surprised to hear of problems with the Raxiom taillights. I have them and they have always worked perfectly. I know of at least a dozen people who've put them in their cars and have never heard a word about any problems at all.

Interesting.
      Old 10/27/17, 11:14 AM
      THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
      Yeah, we know.. As you've posted the same opinions ever since this thread began time and time again.. Therefore no need to keep re-posting your same opinions over and over, as we all get it.. That being said, move on and get over it..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/27/17 at 11:56 AM.
      Old 10/27/17, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bobs69
      I noticed on the American Muscle web site that the Raxiom unit is no longer available for the 2005-2009 Mustang.

Why?

I too was never totally sold on the unit. I only liked it because it looks like it belongs in the dash.

Is there any other options for an in dash gps unit that looks like stock?
      Originally Posted by Sabre
      I'm surprised to hear of problems with the Raxiom taillights. I have them and they have always worked perfectly. I know of at least a dozen people who've put them in their cars and have never heard a word about any problems at all.

Interesting.
      The thread topic is about the Raxiom GPS head unit, not the sequential tail light kit !
      Old 10/28/17, 03:52 PM

Read about Raxiom products, like i did.
      Don't worry about my experiences;
      move on.

ok, have you seen or heard anything from AM in the last year? no you haven't.
      Yeah I know all about Raxiom products, how ? because I read the posts on these and also other forums from beginning to end, that's how..

As for not seeing or hearing anything from AM during the past year is concerned.. Good, keep it that way.. And as far as your experiences are concerned, yeah I've known all about them ever since this thread began well over 2 years ago just as everyone else on this forum has known all about them as well..

Since then, AM/Raxiom has addressed the issue by discontinuing production of their GPS Navigation w/Backup Camera Unit for the 2005-09 Mustangs and have since removed it from their website altogether..

So therefore drop it and move on !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/28/17 at 04:33 PM.
      Old 10/28/17, 10:28 PM
      V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
      Yeah I know all about Raxiom products, how ? because I read the posts on these and also other forums from beginning to end, that's how..

As for not seeing or hearing anything from AM during the past year is concerned.. Good, keep it that way.. And as far as your experiences are concerned, yeah I've known all about them ever since this thread began well over 2 years ago just as everyone else on this forum has known all about them as well..

Since then, AM/Raxiom has addressed the issue by discontinuing production of their GPS Navigation w/Backup Camera Unit for the 2005-09 Mustangs and have since removed it from their website altogether..

So therefore drop it and move on !

I was the one that brought it up so don't take it out on him.

If you have an issue with the thread don't click on it, and better yet why waste time posting in it. I find it almost comical that people complain about a thread but waste valuable time posting in it.

Is it okay for me to have an opinion or do you want to regulate mine as well?
      Old 10/28/17, 10:29 PM
      V6 Member

The Raxiom was only popular because of the stock look;
      I was going to get one for my 2006, until i read the reviews & basically, everyone one sold had a problem of some kind
      (same w/ my Raxiom sequebtial taillights,)
      gave up after a year of trying to get some service;
      Raxiom is owned (at least partly by AM
      there hasn't been an AM rep on any forums in over a year;
      I don't know why these forums don't do anything about it, btw...

i will repeat myself ad naseum to anyone who mentions AM &/or Raxiom:
      don't waste your time or money on Raxiom or AM...
      forum sponsorship be damned.

I have to say I don't have a lot of experience with AM but what I do have has been excellent.
      Old 10/28/17, 11:05 PM
      V6 Member

i'm glad...
      i don't know why they are sponsors of a bunch if forums,
      & the admins on here give me grief
      when AM has ZERO presence ANYWHERE???
      Probably because they are a paying sponsor.

I personally don’t care if they are on here or not.

It’s their sponsorship that provides me a free forum to exchange ideas and I’m grateful to them for that.

I guess it would be different if I had multiple bad experiences with them and wanted to talked to rep on here. But like I said I haven’t had any problems.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!