05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Trouble with HID Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/17, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trouble with HID Xenon

Installed Xentec 35W Xenon lights HID kit for my Mustang -07. Worked like a charm up until yesterday, neither right or the left side lit up.

Checked fuses and wiring, no fault there.

Then the right side lighted up and shut off next time I tried. Now the left side lights up but not the right....what the is the problem here?
Old 7/15/17, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
With aftermarket HID, the first thing I check is the ground connections. Ensure not only that the grounds are terminated at an appropriate spot, but also that spot is VERY clean, bare metal. Then make sure ground bolts are good and tight.
​​
Old 7/18/17, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you use a separate relay harness? Sounds like you're not getting enough power to fire off to each ballast when cold.

If you get one light to turn on, let it warm up. After a minute or two, flip the headlight switch off and back on quickly...Do they both light up now?
Old 7/19/17, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Did you use a separate relay harness? Sounds like you're not getting enough power to fire off to each ballast when cold.

If you get one light to turn on, let it warm up. After a minute or two, flip the headlight switch off and back on quickly...Do they both light up now?
Used what came in the box, at the moment I can't check exactly where it gets power from. Will do as soon as I get back. Will do the same thing with the switch.

They worked without a fault for two weeks when I installed them, that's why I don't really get why they started to act up.

Also going to test the ballast/light source on each side to see if they work as they should.
Old 7/25/17, 02:17 PM

Ballast switched...other light started to work (from time to time)...

One ballast might be busted, but still the problem with them working on and off...

Power obliviously from the head light connector.
Old 7/25/17, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

All I can say is to just test each component, until you find the culprit. But really it sounds like that kit was probably a piece of junk.

I made that mistake my first time around...bought a $35 kit from DDM which was crap. Worked fine at first, then only one bulb worked, then neither bulb worked. Just a quick flash was all they would do. I started testing, and both ballasts were trash. Didn't even last a month, if I recall correctly. They have a lifetime warranty, so I traded them in but ordered a new kit from The Retrofit Source anyway. So the new warrantied DDM kit is still in a box.
Old 7/26/17, 12:38 PM

Yup, starting to have exactly that feeling. But the ballast will be replaced and will take it from there. But I'm guessing that I soon will be ordering a different kit.
Old 7/26/17, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just be aware of the warranty process and any associated costs on your part. When I warrantied my junk DDM ballasts, I had 3 options:
1) Pay to ship my ballast back and wait for them to ship me a new one...took 15 days the first time.
2) Pay to have them ship me a new one in advance, along with a $12 deposit, then pay to ship the bad ones back.
3) Pay $15 to "upgrade" to their premium kit. So that I could just cut the wires, send a pic, and then they'd send me a new one.

Their shipping costs were also ridiculous, to say the least. So just beware...
Old 7/27/17, 04:21 AM

They will send me a new one and they will stand for the shipping, don't have to do anything else. They didn't want the bad one back either so it's going in the trash as soon as I get the new one.
Old 10/14/17, 12:32 PM

Well because this thread haven't slipped so long I thought I continued with the same one.

On the hunt for a new HID headlight kit in the 10000K spectra.

Any suggestions on where to look and for which manufacturer?