The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/)
-   -   Removing the riveted-on hood scoop (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/removing-riveted-hood-scoop-449928/)

MARZ 4/2/07 03:25 PM

Removing the riveted-on hood scoop

I'm planning on doing the Shelby front-end conversion, and I'm wanting to keep the stock GT hood, minus the riveted hood scoop that came with my car. Would I be better off getting a new hood, or is this something a body shop can do fairly easily and reliably?

Brandon

G.T 4/2/07 03:27 PM

filling the gap would require either welding or rivetting some sheet metal, filing, priming and painting the entire hood.

i'd personally keep the scoop, till you have some extra $$$ to spare on a new hood later.

kevinb120 4/2/07 04:12 PM

I've seen a few people try to fix the aluminum hood and it never seems to turn out well. I'd just leave it for now, maybe a swap or a take-off hood will present itself somewhere along the line. What the heck does Saleen do with all those hoods?

Louie 4/2/07 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120 (Post 880912)
I'd just leave it for now, maybe a swap or a take-off hood will present itself somewhere along the line. What the heck does Saleen do with all those hoods?

I agree, you can get a cheap take-off hood ($380) here:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=7837

Saleen sells take-off hoods too, for a little more expensive ($400).

jayguy 4/2/07 05:07 PM

Definitely get a new hood. I kept my stock hood just in case some day I decide I want to go back. Now if I can just get it out of the way in the garage. :)

jskwarek 4/2/07 05:55 PM

You know, I used to have that opinion of keep the stock hood for when you "might decide to go back", but now have 3 hoods, 1 bumper, many side skirts, and misc. other stock pieces that do nothing but clutter the garage. :shame:

If you're interested I've got a perfect black hood off my '06 I'll sell you for $250 plus shipping. I can get a good shipping rate through my company and it will ship in a professional hood box (box from Foose hood).

Jason

RobK 4/2/07 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jskwarek (Post 881020)
You know, I used to have that opinion of keep the stock hood for when you "might decide to go back", but now have 3 hoods, 1 bumper, many side skirts, and misc. other stock pieces that do nothing but clutter the garage. :shame:

If you're interested I've got a perfect black hood off my '06 I'll sell you for $250 plus shipping. I can get a good shipping rate through my company and it will ship in a professional hood box (box from Foose hood).

Jason

I can relate to that. I have enough parts to build about 16 BMWs, 3 or 4 Cutlasses and about 10 GTOs. Then of course there's the attic and the barn...:doh:

mrdci 4/4/07 07:00 AM

Have you tryed to trade hoods with anyone else. I am sure someone might want to trade you for your hood with a scoop. Then all you both have to do is bolt them up.

ElSupremo 4/4/07 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ (Post 880866)
I'm planning on doing the Shelby front-end conversion, and I'm wanting to keep the stock GT hood, minus the riveted hood scoop that came with my car. Would I be better off getting a new hood, or is this something a body shop can do fairly easily and reliably?

Brandon

You may want to check into this. I was thinking about leaving the scoop off when I striped the car. It's not riveted on. It has 4 bolts, 6 clips and two "centering" pins. I got a price from a body shop to fil the holes and paint the hood and it was considerably less than buying a new painted hood. I changed my mind and left it on but it can be done.

davids2toys 4/16/07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ (Post 880866)

Brandon

When you say riveted, are you talking about a Shelby GT hood scoop? If vyou are, I would be interested in purchasing it from you!

AFBLUE 4/16/07 03:54 PM

He's referring to the GTAP scoop, not the Shelby GT hood scoop