05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd
View Poll Results: What Should I do????
Ask them to replace my decklid.
50.00%
Let the same shop repaint it.
11.54%
Make them send it to one of there other shops.
38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

The Nightmare Continues

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06 | 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Nightmare Continues

I'll try and keep it short but here it goes. In early June I decided to buy the CDC ducktail and get it installed. The reason I didn't do it myself is because I need to have the holes of the stock spoiler filled. So I went down to SouthBay Ford who then referred me to there collision center. So the manger at the collision center said he could fill in the holes, repaint the trunk for me, and install the ducktail. This was on a Monday so he told me it would be done in 3 days. I left the car there and came back on wednesday only to find it wouldn't be ready till friday. So I pick the car up on Friday. Everything looks good and I thank him. A few days later I start to see all these scratches and swirls on the decklid especially were the holes had been. It look like whoever sanded it down or bonded it did a half *** job. So I took it down to the guy and he told me oh that's just the paint curing. So I pull the . And he tells me to come back in a month and he'll fix it. So I get pissed off at him and decide to go talk to the service manger. They agreed after seeing the decklid that it was halfassed so they keep my car for 2 WEEKS!!! Granted they gave me a rental but still. So I get the car back and it look great.

So now today while I was looking at my car I notice that the edges of the decklid are chipping!!!! So I called the service manager up today. I have an appointment with them tomorrow. What should I do??? Should I make them get me a new decklid??? Should I let them repaint it AGAIN!!! Or should I ask them to send it to someone else???
Old 8/7/06 | 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would make them repaint the entire decklid and a decent loaner. Try and cut a deal for all of your troubles with alot of free oil changes or since your modding your car, get them to sell you parts at thier cost. Thats pretty fair considering all your time and trouble and they wouldn't loose money on that deal.
Old 8/7/06 | 07:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Send it to a better shop
Old 8/7/06 | 08:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i say make them get you an already painted spolier deleted decklid and have them pay for re-appling all the 3M tape to the CDC and putting it on cause if you start repainting and repainting the decklid you have to remember that is alot of sanding on the decklid and you start replacing original quality with bondo then you have to worry in the long run about warping so i say new factory painted decklid then put the CDC back on
Old 8/7/06 | 09:05 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i say make them get you an already painted spolier deleted decklid and have them pay for re-appling all the 3M tape to the CDC and putting it on cause if you start painting and painting the decklid you have to remember that is alot of sanding on the decklid and you start replacing original quality with bondo then you have to worry in the long run about warping so i say new factory painted decklid then put the CDC back on
X2

they screwed up and tried to cover themselves don't let 'em off the hook......
Old 8/8/06 | 07:45 AM

Everyone deserves a second chance to make things right, but not a third.

Lick your wounds and go find a reputable Paint and Body shop.

If the surface isn't prepped correctly and throughoughly, even the nicest looking paint jobs won't last. It's all in the prep.

Old 8/8/06 | 05:36 PM
GTR Member

from my experiences,it is almost impossible to have them agree to replace the part totally. but if you try hard enough and contact the right people there is still a possibility...that would be the ONLY thing to satisfy me.
Old 8/8/06 | 05:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

TKS for all the advice. Well I didn't make it down to the dealership today because I had other things come up. So I'll be going down there tomorrow. My gameplan is going to be as follows. I'm going to ask them to get me a new decklid and paint it. Once they do that I'll have them call me up so that they can install the new decklid along with the ducktail. I figure this saves them money by not having to get me a rental for however long it would take them to get the decklid and paint it. Plus it minimizes the time the stangs away from me and in danger. Who does that sound? Opinions wanted and welcome.
Old 8/8/06 | 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am going to be surprised if they order you a new decklid. I am going to guess they offer to repaint your existing decklid. In reality, there is nothing wrong with the metal, just the paint. They only need to remove the paint, prep and repaint the decklid and should be good as new.
Old 8/8/06 | 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Gettem to go find a decklid on the lot that matches your color....(w/spoiler delete).
Old 8/8/06 | 08:56 PM
GTR Member

Now your talkin Leo. Explain it rationally and you should have a good shot
Old 8/9/06 | 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

UPDATE!!!!

Well I took my car in this morning to have them look at my decklid. After seeing the paint chips and the discoloration on the decklid they've decided to send it to a different body shop and have the previous body shop front the bill. They were real cool about everything they didn't hassle me.They said it should be about a week and half. In the meantime they gave me an 06 Jetta. It's black with black leather with a manumatic. Pretty cool. I never notice how cheap the ineriors of are stangs are untill I saw the Jetta interior today. They were real cool about everything they didn't hassle me.

Side note
My sequetials,hood struts and mgw pieces arrived today. Go Figure
Old 8/10/06 | 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

The reason it is chipping , is they have put to many coats of paint on it now . As they layer more and more coats of paint it gets weaker at the edges , thats where its gonna chip first . I would give them one more try , and a good shop would have it done in 2 or 3 days not two weeks , It only takes a hour or so to strip it to bare metal , seal her up and wet and a few times , then into the booth . I know I am in the industry , including dry time in the booth 3 days max . And they should give you another loaner , Make them agree if it aint right the third time , you are gonna take it somewhere on there dime .
Old 8/12/06 | 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I Miss My Car!!!!!
Old 8/13/06 | 04:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah it sucks man i know when i get most of my mods together i am not going to have it for a while as they put the body kit but you are lucky my ford had me sign a contract that said they would not get me a loaner car if my car was in the shop because they would have sold me the car for alot more
Old 8/14/06 | 07:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I got the call today I'll be able to pick her up tomorrow. Now if only my sequetials,mgw pieces and hood struts would show up.
Old 8/15/06 | 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And the hits just keep on coming...

Well I went down to the body shop today to pick up my car only to find out it looks worse than before and to top it off they scratched up the entire lower portion of my rear windshield. So the service supervisor said they would replace my rear windshield and retint it for me. They're also going to get rid of all the fisheyes I found. Won't have my car till friday now!!!!

Old 8/15/06 | 06:12 PM

I'd think you really have the needed ammo for a new lid now.
Old 8/15/06 | 09:19 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well I went down to the body shop today to pick up my car only to find out it looks worse than before and to top it off they scratched up the entire lower portion of my rear windshield. So the service supervisor said they would replace my rear windshield and retint it for me. They're also going to get rid of all the fisheyes I found
. Won't have my car till friday now!!!!
you hope......
Old 8/15/06 | 11:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

all i can say is another dealership and a new decklid and probly a new ducktail if they have not messed it up yet...everything new man

Quick Reply: The Nightmare Continues