05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Didnt know if this was the right place..

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/17, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didnt know if this was the right place..

Hello,

I have a 2005 mustang gt and someone backed into it, hitting the rear passenger side quarter panel, and door. I wanted to know what my options are for best price and best fix, which would include doing some myself (I wouldnt want to actually replace the rear quarter because there are cuts and welds that Im being told, need to be made.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Old 2/25/17, 09:14 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Ouch! Always worse when it was not your fault...

I would first talk to some body shops and see what they have to say. That does not look like a typical DYI body work project unless you have skills. Especially if you want that beauty to be back to what it was. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 2/25/17, 11:32 AM

Ive gotten quotes at body shops.

Macco said whole job (pull, bondo, new door and paint) for 2k

Another place said 2900 for whole job, but 1,100 to pull and bondo. Im thinking have the other place pull and bondo and then I get a new door and paint everything myself.
Old 2/25/17, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I would replace the door myself. I would have that 1/4 replaced or at least that section and use minimal bondo. I would not go to macco and I would not let someone pull that out and just bondo it up. I can just some lame body shop bashing the high spots out and slapping a **** ton of bondo on there. Only to have it crack and fall out within a few years or months
Old 2/25/17, 06:56 PM

@Glenn

How much should it cost to replace the quarter?

I absolutely planned on replacing the door myself.
Old 2/27/17, 12:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Maaco is not the shop. Don't.

Go to a reputable body shop. One that'll replace the skin and subframe of the quarter panel correctly. And the door is also a replace-only thing, no bondo. The jambs got screwed up, that ain't gonna bondo, and without proper replacement, they're never going to be correct *and safe*.

Working at a dealership, I see how they're *supposed to do it right*, and any talk of pulling and bondoing these parts is going to be a liability if that car gets hit again. Nobody worth a **** is going to do that, so don't accept it.

Replace the parts. Cut and weld and glue and replace as specified by the manufacturer (and yes, they have that information... they're just being chintzy to save the money if they say pull and bondo.)

Now I'm a 'do it myself' kind of guy (so help me, I just can't not try, y'know?) That said, that quarter panel isn't being done by me. The door... maybe, but only if it's going *straight* to the shop for the quarter panel and jamb replacement on a flat bed.

And stay away from Maaco. They paint. If you want to call it that.

/Any reason insurance isn't just handing this for ya? Theirs? Yours, full coverage?

Last edited by houtex; 2/27/17 at 12:29 AM.
Old 3/2/17, 04:18 PM

Update: So I got the door for about 200 bucks, and its in good shape. Some smaller dents and some goo on the from from taking the trim piece off. I went back to ricks and asked if i had the door, and i had the seats and panel pulled off, and he quoted $1000 even. So I think Im going to have him do the body work.
Attached Thumbnails Didnt know if this was the right place..-img_1371.jpg  
Old 3/12/17, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bill am I missing something, the person that damaged your car did he have insurance because the insurance company should pay for everything to get it back to like new. If the guy didn't stick around and just took off, I wish there was a way to find him and break his kneecaps.

Also 1+ on the Macco, DON'T GO THERE. Unless you find a Macco shop that actually does good work it will be a waste of money. There was one in Mt Vernon NY that restored old cars and did great work but it wasn't cheap as advertised on TV.

Good luck!
Old 3/13/17, 06:41 PM

It was a hit and run. I only have liability.

I would have just got it fixed, if I had insurance.
Old 3/13/17, 10:14 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
So can you buff out that trim mark? Door looks pretty good in photo other than than stuff. Good luck man. Hope this works out for you!
Old 3/14/17, 08:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Bill ! Really sorry to hear about what the person in question did to your Mustang and if weren't for irresponsible like that in the first place, you wouldn't have to go through all the hassle of having to pay out of pocket, let alone search around to find a reputable shop to repair the damages done by this person who obviously doesn't even deserve the privilege of being behind the wheel to begin with.. In the meantime, hope everything works out well for you and that your back on the road with your Mustang A.S.A.P

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Revised Text