Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Welcome to the Lake Show...

Old 11/12/12, 02:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A really bad move by the Lakers.
D'Antoni is a good coach ... for the regular season.

At Phoenix, his coaching was playing a really strong offense and no defense. While that worked during the regular season against teams like Washington, Charlotte and Detroit, Phoenix was killed in the playoffs by the first team that could play the defense.

And then he went to the Knicks and he was horrible there - especially compared to what Mike Woodson did with the same team.
Old 11/12/12, 02:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Could be. There has got to be some bad blood between Jim Buss and PJax I think. Oh well, I'm gonna give Coach D'Antoni a chance. Will be interesting to see what offensive system he puts in and what defensive schemes they play
Is PJax still boning his sister?

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 11/12/12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11/12/12, 06:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Is PJax still boning his sister?
Yup. That could explain a lot lol.

As usual we'll have to wait and see how this works. I can't see him running the SSOL offense here. And rumor is nate McMillan will coach the defense
Old 11/13/12, 10:57 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Missed the whole game except the final 6:38 (had to babysit lol)

Looks like a gritty loss against a very good Spurs team. But with no headcoach or starting and backup point guard, not bad. Not good enough yet, but there is progress.
Old 11/15/12, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
A really bad move by the Lakers.
D'Antoni is a good coach ... for the regular season.

At Phoenix, his coaching was playing a really strong offense and no defense. While that worked during the regular season against teams like Washington, Charlotte and Detroit, Phoenix was killed in the playoffs by the first team that could play the defense.

And then he went to the Knicks and he was horrible there - especially compared to what Mike Woodson did with the same team.
D'antoni seems like a nice guy but he couldn't hold Jackson's jock strap. What a dumb move by the Lakers
Old 11/15/12, 10:56 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Vickstang
D'antoni seems like a nice guy but he couldn't hold Jackson's jock strap. What a dumb move by the Lakers
Reading GM Mitch Kupchak's comments, I think they picked D'Antoni for simplicity and style.

The team can pick up his system quickly (No it won't be the SSOL offense) and get into a rythym faster than running the triangle.

But to me there's no question PJax is the greatest NBA coach of all time.

I'm liking the move more each day, but only time will tell. Stay tuned boys this should get fun!
Old 11/15/12, 12:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Why does it matter how long it takes the Lakers to learn the triangle? It's not like playoffs are starting tomorrow; the season just began and Lakers will play the playoffs no matter who the coach is.

I never liked coaching style of D'Antoni, even during his Phoenix days. Back then Suns were fun to watch againsts Detroit, Washington and Charlotte, but they always lost against teams that played good defense. I'm pretty sure same thing will happen with the Lakers. Lakers might win 60+ games this season, but teams like Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Miami and (healthy) Chicago will kill them in the playoffs.

p.s. I still think Lakers should've went after Jason Kidd instead of Steve Nash over the summer.
Old 11/15/12, 12:30 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Why does it matter how long it takes the Lakers to learn the triangle? It's not like playoffs are starting tomorrow; the season just began and Lakers will play the playoffs no matter who the coach is.

I never liked coaching style of D'Antoni, even during his Phoenix days. Back then Suns were fun to watch againsts Detroit, Washington and Charlotte, but they always lost against teams that played good defense. I'm pretty sure same thing will happen with the Lakers. Lakers might win 60+ games this season, but teams like Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Miami and (healthy) Chicago will kill them in the playoffs.

p.s. I still think Lakers should've went after Jason Kidd instead of Steve Nash over the summer.
Simple. Because there is no gaurantee they could learn it enough to be effective. It's not like they would have a training camp and pre-season to practice. And the personal aren't really set up ideally anyway.

Why not run something you know your players can run and that your PG earned 2 MVPs doing?

I'm not ready to say we'll be bad defensively either. Those Suns teams never add any interior defensive players anyway. Amare? C'mon. We've got Dwight manning the paint. I think we'll be ok.

Just look at the Spurs game on Tuesday, and we can be even better than that defensively
Old 11/15/12, 05:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Why not run something you know your players can run and that your PG earned 2 MVPs doing?
Because it proved to be ineffective so many times in the past ...
Old 11/15/12, 05:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Because it proved to be ineffective so many times in the past ...
Really? Pick 'n roll basketball is ineffective? An uptempo offense is ineffective?

That's news to me...
Old 11/15/12, 05:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Steve Nash running the show was inactive at Dallas and Phoenix and I'm not seeing how's gonna be any different at LA.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 11/15/12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11/15/12, 06:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

It's not that hard to see. He's got Metta, Pau, Dwight, and some random guy named Kobe on his team lol.

It's the best supporting cast he's ever had by far.
Old 11/15/12, 06:17 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

He's got two old-timers (by the way, Artest is shooting 36% FG), a center that's shooting 50% free throws and no bench.

I really wanted to watch Lakers' dream team this season, but so far what I saw was a big disappointment.

Lakers can't win the championship without Phil Jackson.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 11/15/12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11/15/12, 08:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

He's got two old-timers (by the way, Artest is shooting 36% FG), a center that's shooting 50% free throws and no bench.

I really wanted to watch Lakers' dream team this season, but so far what I saw was a big disappointment.

Lakers can't win the championship without Phil Jackson.
This the best starting 5 he's ever had. Don't know what to tell u is you can't see that.

How convenient you call Kobe old yet ignore his shooting percentage and isn't he 1st or slightly 2nd in the league in scoring right now? And Dwight is the best big man he's ever played with. Period.

You're disappointed in us so far? I'm sorry we can't live up to your Sacramento kings standards they set the bar too high.

We'll try to do better next season LOL
Old 11/15/12, 10:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I didn't call Kobe old - when I mentioned "two old-timers" I meant Artest and Gasol. I know that Gasol is actually younger than Kobe, but he's having the worst year so far since coming to the NBA.

I guess you're the only person whose expectations Lakers met so far. I don't think anyone else expected from them to play so poorly and to fire a coach only 6 games into a season.

p.s. Howard is better than Shaq was???

Last edited by Zastava_101; 11/15/12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11/16/12, 03:28 AM
MOTM Committee Member

I didn't call Kobe old - when I mentioned "two old-timers" I meant Artest and Gasol. I know that Gasol is actually younger than Kobe, but he's having the worst year so far since coming to the NBA.

I guess you're the only person whose expectations Lakers met so far. I don't think anyone else expected from them to play so poorly and to fire a coach only 6 games into a season.

p.s. Howard is better than Shaq was???
If they had been even remotely healthy you might have a point. COMBINED preseason and regular season Nash and Howard have played together a grand total of 60 minutes.

Howard estimates he is 75-80%. Kobe is about 85-90%. And Nash is 0% healthy. I don't know what u expect when they have really played yet. Against SAS we had our starting and backup pgs out. We played the 4th without a pg altogether and barely lost because of our errors. This team is only getting bettery friend. Doubt all you want.

And yes Howard is better than Shaq was when he played with Nash in phx. Use your common sense zoran. -__-
Old 11/16/12, 12:29 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I just wanna watch good basketball, I don’t care which teams are playing. With Divac and Stojakovic out of Sacramento, I don’t really care much for them anymore and I guess I’m cheering for the Milwaukee Buicks simply because I live in Milwaukee.
Both games last night on TNT (Nets-Celtics and Nuggets-Heat) were great games.
With all these expectations from the Lakers, I’m just disappointment that they haven’t lived to their potential yet and they’re in the media all the time. I was expecting at least same type of a great plays similar to those when Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton played for Lakers.
I hope the rest of the season is gonna be better …
Old 11/16/12, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Psssst basketball sucks...that is all.
Old 11/16/12, 07:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I just wanna watch good basketball, I don't care which teams are playing. With Divac and Stojakovic out of Sacramento, I don't really care much for them anymore and I guess I'm cheering for the Milwaukee Buicks simply because I live in Milwaukee.
Both games last night on TNT (Nets-Celtics and Nuggets-Heat) were great games.
With all these expectations from the Lakers, I'm just disappointment that they haven't lived to their potential yet and they're in the media all the time. I was expecting at least same type of a great plays similar to those when Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton played for Lakers.
I hope the rest of the season is gonna be better ...
How can you see them when the players aren't playing? Hahahaha
Old 11/16/12, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't appreciate you skipping over my comment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welcome to the Lake Show...