The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   Will there be a Shelby GT-500 convertible? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/will-there-shelby-gt-500-convertible-404616/)

427sohc 3/28/05 07:25 AM

Any definitive answer on that topic yet?

71mach1_429 3/28/05 07:38 AM

no definitive answer yet, just speculation at the moment

seth0019 3/29/05 05:08 PM

I think that there will probably be one. I mean there were convertible Shelys and convertible SVTs, so why wouldn't there be a convertible SVT Shelby. You know what I mean?

iwantastang 3/29/05 06:02 PM

Yes, there is going to be a Shelby Cobra GT 500 convertible. It will be in concept form at the 2006 NAIAS, alongside the production model coupe GT500. Trust me on this, its true.

Red/Black GT 3/29/05 06:08 PM

Plz tell me there is a way to have a hard top convertible for this shelby GT500.
I wouldn't mind a 50-55K price tag if they come out with a hard top conv. I guess it will be tough to have the hatchback kindaa look with the quarter window and all with the retractable hard top, but one can always dream :jester:

Robert 3/29/05 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Red/Black GT@March 29, 2005, 7:11 PM
Plz tell me there is a way to have a hard top convertible for this shelby GT500.
I wouldn't mind a 50-55K price tag if they come out with a hard top conv. I guess it will be tough to have the hatchback kindaa look with the quarter window and all with the retractable hard top, but one can always dream :jester:

Are you kidding? They chose not to engineer an IRS into this car partially because the added price was "deemed too upscale for Mustang." A folding hardtop is waaaay more techno than Ford will ever go with this car. Maybe in a Lincoln convertible coupe...but not in this car. I mean, jeepers, they won't even engineer a sunroof into the Mustang!

cntchds 3/29/05 10:05 PM

well thats cuz sunroofs look ugly hardtop conv. say o yeah im the bomb check me out im so slick you know what i mean? :jester:

Autotooner 3/29/05 10:26 PM

:scratch:

TMSBrad 3/30/05 07:45 AM

You can download my interview with SVT Director Hau Thai-Tang from the media site and hear him answer your question.

crispy23c 3/30/05 08:45 AM

Originally posted by iwantastang@March 29, 2005, 7:05 PM
Yes, there is going to be a Shelby Cobra GT 500 convertible. It will be in concept form at the 2006 NAIAS, alongside the production model coupe GT500. Trust me on this, its true.

I heard very similar. I called (badgered) SVT yesterday and they said absolutely, and that the production model will be introduced next to the coupe in Detroit in early '06. Very close to what you said iwantastang.
Just to be clear, he also stated that it should be available at the same time as the production coupe.
All I can say is "phew"!
I really need a 'vert of this car... :-D

Final5pt0 3/30/05 08:53 AM

i just recently visited the auto show...someone asked that same question, the person showcasing the car said its very likely that we will see a convertible version...i know that thats not much of a definate, but i think that they would do it theres always been a big market for high perfromance convertibles (old shelbys, revent svt's, sallens, roush's,etc)

holderca1 3/30/05 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Robert+March 29, 2005, 10:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ March 29, 2005, 10:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Red/Black GT@March 29, 2005, 7:11 PM

Are you kidding? They chose not to engineer an IRS into this car partially because the added price was "deemed too upscale for Mustang." A folding hardtop is waaaay more techno than Ford will ever go with this car. Maybe in a Lincoln convertible coupe...but not in this car. I mean, jeepers, they won't even engineer a sunroof into the Mustang!
[/b][/quote]
Since when is a folding hartop too upscale, the Pontiac G6 has it...

TMSBrad 3/30/05 01:39 PM

Originally posted by holderca1+March 30, 2005, 2:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 30, 2005, 2:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Originally posted by Robert@March 29, 2005, 10:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Red/Black GT

@March 29, 2005, 7:11 PM

[/b][/quote]
The poor-selling Pontiac G6 is hardly a good barometer. The 200-hp GT is $24,000. A 200-hp hardtop convertible will probably cost over $30,000.

holderca1 3/30/05 01:41 PM

Originally posted by TheMustangSource+March 30, 2005, 2:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheMustangSource @ March 30, 2005, 2:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Originally posted by holderca1@March 30, 2005, 2:33 PM

Originally posted by Robert@March 29, 2005, 10:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Red/Black GT

@March 29, 2005, 7:11 PM

The poor-selling Pontiac G6 is hardly a good barometer. The 200-hp GT is $24,000. A 200-hp hardtop convertible will probably cost over $30,000.
[/b][/quote]
Just saying it's not exclusive to upscale cars like Lexus and Mercedes.

TMSBrad 3/30/05 01:43 PM

Certainly not--Hyundai was toying around with one a year or two ago. Personally I'd like to see one on the Shelby. I think the price is too low anyway for a 450+ horsepower car.

mizanin 3/30/05 02:05 PM

well if you happen to buy one for too low a price you can send me the difference between what you paid and what you think is fair.

crispy23c 3/31/05 08:02 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

Also, Ford does not wish to cannibalize their convertible sales (their opinion, not mine). Folding Hardtop Convertible=too much additional weight for a performance car, IMO.
If you are looking for something like that, I am willing to bet (with the popularity of the new Mustang) that an aftermarket manufacturer will eventually offer a hardtop for the 'vert (much like the 1994 factory hardtop convertible Cobra offered from Ford, a one-piece attachable hardtop).