Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Things I don't like about the new Cobra

Old 3/27/05, 03:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Marias@March 26, 2005, 7:34 PM
1. I don't like the way they crammed all that junk into the "gas cap" badge and they have the same thing on the steerin wheel. Ewww!

2. I wish they added the closely-set shelby style fogs in the grill.

3. Why are there no quarter window scoops?

4. Something isn't right about the rear end. It looks good but I don't know..something is out of place. (love the spoiler...I'm spoiled)
As someone mentioned, closely set fogs are no longer legal. There are no quarter window scoops because they would eliminate visibility (there may be mandated laws against this too).

I agree about the rear - it's like Ford ran out of money when they got to the **** end. I also don't like the wheels and the tires are waaaay too skinny for this car.

Everything else is OK.
Old 3/27/05, 05:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Called and talked with Mark at SVT. As he stated the wheels will change and they are looking to put wider tires on the car for production. He would not elabotate on the hood or if they are sticking to Mr. Whipple or looking at a different supercharger.

He did repeat that the car is 95% done for the production model. He also restated that the price will be around 40K. I will wait a few months and call back to see if they have more updated information.
Old 3/27/05, 07:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by KBE@March 26, 2005, 10:01 PM
How come you guys know everything? I'm not the only one that has posted the same. Well, my brother works for Ford. Does your daddy?
That's about the dumbest thing you could have said. Now, anything you post can be traced to a person. If you post something that was not intended to be mentioned publicly by him, then it may cost your brother his job. Happy?
Old 3/27/05, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+March 26, 2005, 9:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 26, 2005, 9:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KBE@March 26, 2005, 9:16 PM
No secret on redesigned hood. Ford has admitted this. Sorry, they didn't elaborate.
No one from Ford has been quoted to such statement. You can prove me wrong by offering the source which didn't "elaborate".

What Ford has asserted is that the two vents are required, designed for ventilation and to eliminate vibrations caused by trapped air, a commonly and apparent problem on the Mustang GT, which in case you don't know, does not have a vented hood.
[/b][/quote]

I agree The setup was proven to work on the 03/04, So the new hood makes good sence and also alows venting from the large grille pushing so much air in. I would not give up on GT-R spec fenders with vents for production.

And two fog lights in the grille are practically useless unless you are on a track. No state would allow that for production. I like the 'standard' SVT locations myself(pull up pics of every SVT product for details). They probably didnt have a vendor with breakaway-style mirors yet by showtime. If they need to get wider wheels, they should make a call to halibrand:
Old 3/27/05, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng+March 27, 2005, 9:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ March 27, 2005, 9:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KBE@March 26, 2005, 10:01 PM
How come you guys know everything? I'm not the only one that has posted the same. Well, my brother works for Ford. Does your daddy?
That's about the dumbest thing you could have said. Now, anything you post can be traced to a person. If you post something that was not intended to be mentioned publicly by him, then it may cost your brother his job. Happy?
[/b][/quote]

If they are working at "Ford" in any other sector other then actual Team Mustang or SVT or one of the departments that are in charge of funding either team, you may as well look on the Internet for more information....Someone at an F-150 plant(or even AAI) does not exactly yield 'inside' information.
Old 3/27/05, 08:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cobrasvt777@March 26, 2005, 11:23 PM
Dont be touching those Signature Round foglights in the Bumper! Thats an SVT specialty.
Just like a bunch of other cars out there...Pontiac for one...

Old 3/27/05, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

I love the fog lights where they are, keeps the SVT lineage in tact. Putting them in the grille is fugly. Here are the changes I'd propose:

Offer a stripe delete option
Paint the entire car including rockers and splitter
Different Mirrors
Wider tires and bigger rubber
Reduce the size of the SHELBY lettering on the tail

Old 3/27/05, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

The car is cool just as it stands. I am GLAD to see those "fogs" go :notnice: This new designed front end is what I thought the GT was going to look like. I hope they don't mess up the production one now. I'm getting ready $$ but I hope it is a little south of 40 large(say 38ish) because I never figured in the TAX :notnice: @7% (about $3,000) and a probable gas guzzler tax. And here in Ga. they charge a personal property tax on your car based on its value so I'm looking at $4oo/year for tags, and then the insurance........ I haven't factored in all the ancillary costs over and above the original cost. I hope I'm not out of the game money wise cuz I want this car!!
Old 3/27/05, 12:30 PM
V6 Member

i love those halibrand wheels
Old 3/27/05, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

All of you guys are so incredibly picky, it's not even funny. Here's a deal: IF you can even afford this car, and IF you end up getting one, you can spend a few thousand extra dollars to put the stuff on it that YOU want. Fogs in the grille? Knock yourself out. Painted rocker panels, mirrors, and rear rollpan? Have at. New wheels? Absolutely.

For the rest of us who are finally seeing a legendary name on an awesome performance car for money we MIGHT actually be able to afford, leave it alone! You can doll yours up however you want, but the rest of us want to be able to actually afford it.
Old 3/27/05, 01:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but if I am going to spend $40k on a car, I have the right to be picky.
Old 3/27/05, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jwenger@March 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
The car is cool just as it stands. I am GLAD to see those "fogs" go :notnice: This new designed front end is what I thought the GT was going to look like. I hope they don't mess up the production one now. I'm getting ready $$ but I hope it is a little south of 40 large(say 38ish) because I never figured in the TAX :notnice: @7% (about $3,000) and a probable gas guzzler tax. And here in Ga. they charge a personal property tax on your car based on its value so I'm looking at $4oo/year for tags, and then the insurance........ I haven't factored in all the ancillary costs over and above the original cost. I hope I'm not out of the game money wise cuz I want this car!!

Funny, that's what I've be thinking since the car came out. I hope they can bring it in at just under the 40, like say 37 or 38 American. That xtra 2, or so, leaves room for the taxes, shipping, etc. Does'nt sound like much [the2], but in Canadian $, 50 or 55 is a big difference. I keep thrashing the #'s around. Only problem is, you can only do so much thrasing! :scratch:
Old 3/27/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Michael, nice chop work. Got a request! Don't know if you can do it or not, but if you get time, could you try to take the 2 vents on the hood, turn them the other way, run them up and down[outside of white stripes] beside the white stripes, one on each side, make them chrome, in a box like pattern with screens, 3 boxes per louvre, like the 68 Camaro's use to have.

Just curious what it would look like? Thanks!
Old 3/27/05, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 27, 2005, 2:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but if I am going to spend $40k on a car, I have the right to be picky.
Old 3/27/05, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

1. The rear taillights should have been closer to the '67 Shelby tri-bar setup.

2. They should have left the lights in the grill like in the GT, in the outboard position. EXCEPT, they should have made the grill lights the high beams while keeping the new fog lights in their present position. Closer to how the '67 Shelby is set up.

3. Put the original Shelby GT500 emblem in the grill, not the cobra.

4. Simplify the rear gas badge, make it the original '67 design, with a black background instead of a beige.

5. AIRBAGS stink! It makes the steering wheel look cushy. It should be closer to Shelby with drilled metal inserts and it should be leather, it should be a deep mahogony like the original. Man that would rock! I might fabricate a wheel to mimic my '67 Shelby's.

6. The more "modernized" look of the interior takes away from the Shelby's look. It should have a BRUSHED aluminum dash. Not ribbed, not patterned, BRUSHED! Gives it a more masculine, muscular look. And a small Shelby GT500 badge on the passenger side.
Old 3/27/05, 08:37 PM

AMEN to that!

Originally posted by holderca1@March 27, 2005, 2:15 PM
Old 3/27/05, 08:43 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Change the topic heading to "Things I don't like about the new Corvette" and we would not be able to tell them apart.
Old 3/27/05, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

the more I look at the series of lights in grille options, to me its the round lights that look out of place, no matter where they are, try a photoshop of rectangular style lights in the grille like the 68's and see how it looks.

btw, I dont mind the fogs as they are, in the lower corners
Old 3/28/05, 03:59 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Marias+March 27, 2005, 9:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marias @ March 27, 2005, 9:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>AMEN to that!

<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1
@March 27, 2005, 2:15 PM
[/b][/quote]

OK, since you guys are so picky, tell us what you will be spending your $40K on instead of that sub-standard POS GT-500?
Old 3/28/05, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by V10+March 28, 2005, 5:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V10 @ March 28, 2005, 5:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Marias@March 27, 2005, 9:40 PM
AMEN to that!

<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1
@March 27, 2005, 2:15 PM

OK, since you guys are so picky, tell us what you will be spending your $40K on instead of that sub-standard POS GT-500?
[/b][/quote]

A GT40 replica powered by an aluminum 550 hp Fuel Injected Ford small block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things I don't like about the new Cobra